Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Save me from SuperDry.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Hollister - the place where older, well built men go into, pick up the largest size, sigh and then walk out saying it is over priced American rubbish anyway:lolol:

Which is exactly why I tend to wear GANT - overpriced American preppy rubbish but for real men rather than beanpoles

I imagine that if you walked into the design room at Gant, you would find a square cube being used as their clothes model. Honestly, I think the only person that would actually fit a Gant shirt properly is Spongebob Squarepants.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and that's GANT, you say...

...Let me make a note of that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is this a deodorant?

Yes I think so and I buy my T-Shirts from Marks and Spencers. Just let them get on with it.

Nick-Wooster-style.png

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Wait until Stat discovers Hollister :)

Ahh I remember walking into the one in Bluewater whereupon a child in Bermuda shorts, stepped out from a fake bush by the entrance said the following to me, in an American accent; “Hi, what’sup, welcome to the pier”. Obviously I looked at him confused and said “I’m sorry, what did you say?”.

“Hi whatsup welcometothepier”.

He repeated it in an English accent. He may have said ‘pit’ instead of pier, it was a confusing moment. I asked him what he meant and he said it’s what he was supposed to greet people with. Then followed a strange exchange where I enquired if he worked at the shop and why he wasn’t wearing clothes.

I ventured further in to what strikes me as one of the worst possible retail experiences. It’s incredibly dark, there is an unbelievably strong smell of the Hollister perfume piped through the aircon, which is set too warm (probably cos the staff were half naked), they have music playing at a truly obnoxious volume. There are plants everywhere, EVERYWHERE. You can’t move without some ****ing banana tree draping it’s leaves all over you. The products are haphazardly arranged on tables, like Primark but in the dark and ten times the price. They’ve put a half-arsed Seagull logo on everything, there are dozens of staff wandering about but only one on the tills, causing massive queues. And their crowning achievement is that all the product displayed on the mannequins, which hangs from the ceiling, is PREVIOUS SEASONS product that is no longer available.

I can only assume all of this is done to keep old people out of the stores. I was about 26 at the time and clearly 15 years too old.

I went back once and their was a queue to get in. I thought it was a school trip waiting for a teacher or something, so walked past and into the cave. “Hi what’s up welcome to the pit. Sorry there is a queue”. A queue? “YeH, a queue to get in the store”. Why? “Oh, we only have one till open so we’re limiting numbers”

**** that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ahh I remember walking into the one in Bluewater whereupon a child in Bermuda shorts, stepped out from a fake bush by the entrance said the following to me, in an American accent; “Hi, what’sup, welcome to the pier”. Obviously I looked at him confused and said “I’m sorry, what did you say?”.

“Hi whatsup welcometothepier”.

He repeated it in an English accent. He may have said ‘pit’ instead of pier, it was a confusing moment. I asked him what he meant and he said it’s what he was supposed to greet people with. Then followed a strange exchange where I enquired if he worked at the shop and why he wasn’t wearing clothes.

I ventured further in to what strikes me as one of the worst possible retail experiences. It’s incredibly dark, there is an unbelievably strong smell of the Hollister perfume piped through the aircon, which is set too warm (probably cos the staff were half naked), they have music playing at a truly obnoxious volume. There are plants everywhere, EVERYWHERE. You can’t move without some ****ing banana tree draping it’s leaves all over you. The products are haphazardly arranged on tables, like Primark but in the dark and ten times the price. They’ve put a half-arsed Seagull logo on everything, there are dozens of staff wandering about but only one on the tills, causing massive queues. And their crowning achievement is that all the product displayed on the mannequins, which hangs from the ceiling, is PREVIOUS SEASONS product that is no longer available.

I can only assume all of this is done to keep old people out of the stores. I was about 26 at the time and clearly 15 years too old.

I went back once and their was a queue to get in. I thought it was a school trip waiting for a teacher or something, so walked past and into the cave. “Hi what’s up welcome to the pit. Sorry there is a queue”. A queue? “YeH, a queue to get in the store”. Why? “Oh, we only have one till open so we’re limiting numbers”

**** that.

:lolol::lolol:

I’ve only been to Hollister once and it was Bluewater, from what I remember your description is pretty accurate :)

Wasn’t my choice of shop, I was with one of my sons and he wanted some clothes and I was buying, very odd shop especially because it’s so dark. I should have just given him some cash and sat on a bench outside, especially when I was much older than 26. :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
SuperDry have some nice stuff, IMO the problem with SuperDry is that it has SuperDry splashed all over it making it so naff.
If I buy more expensive or designer clothes I want people to think that it looks great, I wonder where that came from, a small logo is ok though.
Same for Ray Ban, the Ray Ban logo is so look at me, it's not cool.
If you are in the right place at the right time, I have found some really great clothes from unknown labels at TK Maxx, I have a really funky suit from there that I love.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
SuperDry have some nice stuff, IMO the problem with SuperDry is that it has SuperDry splashed all over it making it so naff.
If I buy more expensive or designer clothes I want people to think that it looks great, I wonder where that came from, a small logo is ok though.
Same for Ray Ban, the Ray Ban logo is so look at me, it's not cool.
If you are in the right place at the right time, I have found some really great clothes from unknown labels at TK Maxx, I have a really funky suit from there that I love.

Right right back in the day I had a lovely pair of Wayfarers.
I had them for years.

When they finally went to that great SunGlasses Hut in the sky I looked to replace them only to find it was impossible without 'Ray Ban' etched on the lens, so that's a no then.
I really miss those shades.

I'm currently wearing a mahooooosive Peter Werth t-shirt, a tenner from the Maxx - it's a little snug but it'll do :lol:

Oh and for completists out there today from SuperDry I purchased a:-

Shorebreak Overshirt (which it turns out I could have got cheaper on-line!)

I would post a pic but the model in that shot doesn't quite fill it out as well as I do.
If it's piqued your interest, think more Alexi Sayle, but without the pork pie hat. (I want the hat Donovan is wearing on an album cover, for when my glorious hair is just too unruly, but that's for another shopping adventure)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think Stat is just trying to recover his Man at C&A image

May I use this as a cue to re-post one of my favourite old gags?

Little boy: Dad, why have my shoes got 'L' and 'R' on them?
Dad: So you know which goes on your left foot and which goes on your right foot.
Little boy: Ah. Is that why mum's knickers say C&A?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
May I use this as a cue to re-post one of my favourite old gags?

Little boy: Dad, why have my shoes got 'L' and 'R' on them?
Dad: So you know which goes on your left foot and which goes on your right foot.
Little boy: Ah. Is that why mum's knickers say C&A?

OLD being the operative word !

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I have some clothes from SuperDry, including ...... orange tight hoodie which is perfect for watching from the touchline come wind, rain or snow.

Ah, so that's who you are, I feel I've known you for years. Look out for me waving when we finally get back to the Amex. I'm in row ZZ of West Stand Upper.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My funniest moment was my lad taking me into a store in Churchill Square, it was that dimly lit I put the torch on on my iPhone, didn't go down well!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Seems an appropriate thread to mention thread.com

I bloody hate clothes shopping so signed up for this thing a couple of years ago. Answer a few questions and a "stylist" (read: rudimentary shopping AI) will suggest various outfits for you.

Don't think I've set foot in a clothes shop since long before COVID.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I imagine that if you walked into the design room at Gant, you would find a square cube being used as their clothes model. Honestly, I think the only person that would actually fit a Gant shirt properly is Spongebob Squarepants.

Shirts which are square, or landscape as opposed to portrait are just wrong.

I do own a GANT item, stumbled upon by accident some years ago, a weapons grade tank top.

£100-GANT-AS-Lambswool-Fairisle-Slipover-Men-V.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have a few Superdry things. Not because I'm trying to look cool, I just quite like some of their clothes :shrug: I guess it's a bit different wearing them here because you don't see Superdry anything like as much as in the UK.

I also find they're one of the few brands who actually make clothes that last (which is partly why they've had financial issues). Unlike some brands, who make t-shirts that fade and lose their shape after about 3 washes.

I have a lot of superdry T shirts, again not because they are cool, but because they wash and wash with out losing any shape, I have ones that I have worn so much they have holes in but still the shape and size I bought them in. So if you can get past the percived image and find something you like and fits you should be pleased with the quility.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There is no doubting the superior quality of Superdry t-shirts, even in comparison with premium labels - I have about 4, all of which have kept their shape after 4-5 years of washing. Not high fashion, but a perfectly acceptable go-to t-shirt when combined with jeans and trainers for general daytime weekend stuff and running around after the kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here