Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudis withdraw from Newcastle deal

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
But they did have a valid reason and that was the piracy by BeoutQ or the rights to PL matches belonging to Bein Sport. They were told it had to stop and the Saudis won't so they don't get their hands on Newcastle.

Yes, but they didn't block it, the Saudis pulled out. Despite having a multitude of reasons to say no, in the end, the Premier League didn't have to.

el punal

I bet the heads up (rather than heads off) that they were going to be refused as fit and proper owners and given the chance to gracefully back out

To continue your implied punishment theme regarding the potential buyers - it beats me how they’ll deal with the situation but no doubt they’ll be out on the lash. :drink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A European super league will change the whole dynamics of football. I would almost welcome it, as it would give clubs like Notts Forest, Leicester, Ipswich, Luton and dare i say it Brighton a chance to win some honours, like the 70s 80's era.

Notts Forest? Have the two great clubs of Nottingham been forced to amalgamate?

It'll be Brighton and Hove Palace next :nono:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
palace, west am, villa, burnley, leeds, big six, and now this lot, i've got too many panto villains :lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, but they didn't block it, the Saudis pulled out. Despite having a multitude of reasons to say no, in the end, the Premier League didn't have to.

They didn't block it because the Saudis had the the option to stop the piracy. As they chose not to do that they had no option but to pull out of the deal as it wouldn't go through.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
They weren't so respectful when they piled into our end after half time, or when they kicked in the door of my dad's car that he leant me for the long drive up!

Gosh was I so drunk I don’t recall that invasion? I hitched up so in full colours and at the end swapped them with a Geordie. My experience was all very amicable so surprised to hear that.

Ps - sorry to read that about your car - how did your dad react?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'We didn't want to an owner with a history of worker repression and of robbing them of what should be basic rights'

Said the Saudis...

boik

Gosh was I so drunk I don’t recall that invasion? I hitched up so in full colours and at the end swapped them with a Geordie. My experience was all very amicable so surprised to hear that.

Ps - sorry to read that about your car - how did your dad react?

I think invasion would be overstating it, but from what I could see there were a fair few with fists swinging. Had my young sister with us so was worrying about her.

Dad was remarkably calm about it. Funnily enough, said sister gouged the same side of the same car coming out of our driveway the first time she was allowed to drive it! It was jinxed I tell ya!

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Apart from everything else, I'm quite pleased a close rival won't have a shed load of money to buy better players

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Looks like they were being a bit hasty when they re-named a few streets back in Saudi.

EV44bkNXYAEogHU.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

The lack of reality is staggering.

Mike Ashley is a tw*t of the highest order. No doubt.
The worst he has done is changed the name of their stadium.

Despite the lack of investment, they are still a mid table PL side. The majority of the footballing world would love to be where they are, even with a tw*t at the helm.

Hope they go down again, give them something meaningful to moan about!

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
The lack of reality is staggering.

Mike Ashley is a tw*t of the highest order. No doubt.
The worst he has done is changed the name of their stadium.

Despite the lack of investment, they are still a mid table PL side. The majority of the footballing world would love to be where they are, even with a tw*t at the helm.

Hope they go down again, give them something meaningful to moan about!

Agree. His comment about human right abuses that they're just somewhere else was horryfying really. Who cares if people are being murdered, enslaved, abused if you'd beloved team is only a mid table PL team. Here's an idea all you beloved geordies - stop going to watch the games! Get another interest or do something else with your time you sad, sad people. Better still, boycott the stadium but meet up with your mates and watch the game in a pub. I realise Ashley wants to sell the club but when he didn't they still went in their droves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here