Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi's instruct UK pubs NOT to show their flag

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I live about 100m from there.

I have never, and will never, go in.

I'm intrigued by the place: do they bar you if you have a full-set of teeth and clean clothes?

I don't mind rough pubs (hell, I come from Moulsecoomb) but the B&B looks like something from a dystopian sci-fi film set

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I avoid crossing the road opposite the pub, have you seen how many folks get knocked over there and die !
It used to be a sad old Teddyboy pub as well, awful place.

And about 30m away is the Caroline of Brunswick. It used to be a Goth pub, but now seems to be an extension of The Bat and Ball, with a slightly younger and more ambulant clientele.
Another staggeringly bad pub.

I can't complain though, the area is awash with brilliant bars. Just not by the Level.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm intrigued by the place: do they bar you if you have a full-set of teeth and clean clothes?

I don't mind rough pubs (hell, I come from Moulsecoomb) but the B&B looks like something from a dystopian sci-fi film set

Yes. That is their door policy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My understanding is that there is no ban on alcohol in Islam, but there is a requirement that you must never be incapacitated and therefore unable to serve God (Allah). Not everyone goes into a Greene King pub and gets bladdered, heaven forbid you can try as hard as you like on their IPA, I reckon you and the Prophet would be fine after a session on that cats piss.

It is a bit ambiguous depending on which text you read but it’s how people like Malaysian, Turkish etc justify their use of alcohol.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
And about 30m away is the Caroline of Brunswick. It used to be a Goth pub, but now seems to be an extension of The Bat and Ball, with a slightly younger and more ambulant clientele.
Another staggeringly bad pub.

I can't complain though, the area is awash with brilliant bars. Just not by the Level.

Staggeringly bad pub. What's wrong with it exactly? Or do you just not like the people you imagine are in there?

Strange post.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.

Very Daily Mail comments....

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Can't display their flags in pubs.
Geordies can wear the Saudi national kit (cunningly disguised as Newcastle's away kit) in pubs all over the country.

Genius.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see their owners decree that Newcastle fans are to be banned from attending matches if they have ever consumed alcohol….

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Staggeringly bad pub. What's wrong with it exactly? Or do you just not like the people you imagine are in there?

Strange post.

Okay, I retract 'staggeringly bad'.

It's a pub I don't like. I was using exaggerated hyperbole, in a light-hearted manner. That obviously didn't come across.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's a flaw here.

The Saudis dont drink so they won't go in a pub so how will they know if their shitty flag is flying or not?

And it appears to have happened last WC too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-44356232

Shame on Greene King for rolling over for the mad bunch of homophobic, misogynistic murderers AGAIN.

While I agree with that, I think it teases out a problem with the thread title.

Have Greene King removed it because a) "The Saudis" have told them to (if so, who? Do they have a Department for Pub Bothering) or b) the same few blokes in London had a word again or c) because, as they did it last time, it's simply a Greene King standing order?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Greene King, like half the world, is owned by the Chinese.

Let's see if Wetherspoons follow the Saudi's orders.

Next it'll be banning alcohol from St James Park. Good luck with that one:thumbsup:

Saudi dictating and Green King rolling over on something they have no business to dictate. who from Saudi is going to know, right?

CKH own Green King and has a strategic partnership based around shipping ports with Saudi Arabia - money talks. It is trivial to get some minions to cut off some flags to smooth the partnership.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.
Replace the Saudi flags with pictures of Jamal Khashoggi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here