Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saudi regime buying Dan Ashworth: the undelying cause for our collapse in form?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Legend, great post too. I've seen first hand how well respected colleagues leaving can destabilise and cause subtle changes in mood and culture from within.

Exactly this; it's not that Ashworth leaving has DIRECTLY made the players play badly but it will have added uncertainty for the senior hierarchy in the club which does subconsciously filter down and will reach the players through GP and the training staff they interact with daily. Add in the fact there will be some organisational change and many people don't handle organisational change well which again will either indirectly or directly cause problems.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wonder if Chelsea or Newcastle fans every feel grubby. I don’t know ?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Funny, there was a thread about DA being the reason for the bad form in CHs last season.

I think there is little to no relation. Selling BDB had more impact. Having a bunch of players with 3-15 months left on their contract, some of them probably thinking they will move in the summer and wont have to bother much is also not a good thing for the club and things must be done to prevent similar situations in the future... cant have half a squad with contracts nearing the end.

I agree. I am concerned that players running down their contracts is going to become a common occurrence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I doubt it’s through lack of trying - although suggested for some players (like Solly) Potter has put talks on hold until the summer. Although Ashworth leaving has 100% disrupted all future planning in my opinion

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree. I am concerned that players running down their contracts is going to become a common occurrence.

Only if player already has another club in place to go to, I'd suggest. Potential future employers would do well to monitor players' attitudes towards end of their contract so that it's not themselves on the receiving end next contract round

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only if they another one in place to go to, I'd suggest. Potential future employers would do well to monitor players' attitudes towards end of their contract so that it's not them on the receiving end next contract round

We signed Shane Duffy after he forced a move which involved 2 own goals and a red card !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Before you joined the board or, indeed, knew where Brighton was. And you wonder why you might be considered obsessive.

Well, Palace did last season and it's allowed them to rebuild, have some genuine options with pace up front and probably finish above us again.

Not surprising a kneejerker like you moans about someone referring to the past... because usually it makes you look silly.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Funny there's talk of Duffy on this thread, I was told last night that Duffy and Dunk have had a bust up with Potter and the atmosphere in the dressing room is currently dire. The International break has come at the right time from the sound of it, hopefully everyone will have settled down before the Norwich game, which will determine whether the final games are comfortable or a nightmare.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
We've been a team of streaky results for the last three or four seasons. We just had our good run earlier than this season. Our squad is no stronger than last year, why would the overall outcome be any different? Pretty hard to imagine Ashcroft leaving would have any short-term impact on our results.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Only if player already has another club in place to go to, I'd suggest. Potential future employers would do well to monitor players' attitudes towards end of their contract so that it's not themselves on the receiving end next contract round

Mbappe, Pogba, Rudiger to name a few high-profile examples.

They can get an extra-large signing-on fee if they are a free transfer vs having a fee paid for them.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Funny there's talk of Duffy on this thread, I was told last night that Duffy and Dunk have had a bust up with Potter and the atmosphere in the dressing room is currently dire. The International break has come at the right time from the sound of it, hopefully everyone will have settled down before the Norwich game, which will determine whether the final games are comfortable or a nightmare.

I love these "I was told" posts, which almost always turn out to be whispers and bollocks...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here