[Football] Saudi League

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Work at an international school in Singapore and seen at least a couple kids knocking about in Ronaldo Saudi shirts. No idea if there's any kids back in the UK actually doing that though.
As it's an international school, any chance those kids are Saudi?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I work as a teacher in Australia and yesterday I wondered when a kid was going to claim they 'support' a Saudi team. Just recently many claim to support Argentina because of the world cup. One said Miami yesterday which was interesting but I guess they are big now.

For context the kid who said Miami also said Man city and PSG (told me what it stood for, which was nice) but had never heard of Brighton.
Never heard of Brighton, what are you teaching them?

The standard of teaching these days, forget the three R's it should be the two B's, Brighton and Bloom.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Never heard of Brighton, what are you teaching them?

The standard of teaching these days, forget the three R's it should be the two B's, Brighton and Bloom.
To be fair on me I have only been at the school for three days and for two of them, this kid has been away. :ROFLMAO:

But yes, Monday morning we will be commencing Brighton studies.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Reckon Palace might ask to join, can then claim they were actually formed in 1277-1278

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There are 16 teams in the league and in 21/22 - 12 of those had average attendances that we would have been disappointed with when we were at Withdean. Of the other 4, only one was over 20,000. Like the Chinese League and so many US leagues in the last century, it will be an expensive white elephant that will be of little interest. The monied class's repeated attempts to create a football culture out of thin air lack any understanding of what motivates people to watch football. Yes, seeing George Best turn out in an exhibition game at Newhaven Town in the late 80's was a novelty - a friend even got him to sign his Weddoes album, but seeing someone like him turn out regularly against players of a far worse standard is of no interest to any of us. We don't watch football because of individual players, we go for the team. In years to come, we won't be trying to impress people with stories about how we watched Ronaldo play at the Amex, we'll be telling people that we stuffed United.

The worry about the Saudi League is that it's intent may not be to succeed as a league, but that it may be being used to financially doctor other leagues. The transfer fees look dodgy. You expect lesser known clubs in lesser known leagues to have to overpay on wages to make it worthwhile for a player to move. However, you don't need to pay their clubs transfer fees that are massively more than they are worth. A total of about €100m has been spent on 4 players close to or over thirty. The selling clubs would have been lucky to get a significant fee for most of these players and yet they are making profits over what market value would suggest. The fact that clubs with FFP issues are amongst those enjoying inexplicable windfalls makes it all smell fishy. From the outside, it's looking less like a football league and more like an overseas money washing service.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I work as a teacher in Australia and yesterday I wondered when a kid was going to claim they 'support' a Saudi team. Just recently many claim to support Argentina because of the world cup. One said Miami yesterday which was interesting but I guess they are big now.

For context the kid who said Miami also said Man city and PSG (told me what it stood for, which was nice) but had never heard of Brighton.
He needs to swot up on his summer football pools coupon from the seventies and eighties. Presumably we all followed the Australian Brighton's results in the back of the paper? I've just found out that they are from a suburb of Melbourne and merged with another team in 1987. Sometimes I look back fondly on a time when things remained a mystery and you couldn't find out everything about anything within seconds of thinking about it. The world just becomes so prosaic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He needs to swot up on his summer football pools coupon from the seventies and eighties. Presumably we all followed the Australian Brighton's results in the back of the paper? I've just found out that they are from a suburb of Melbourne and merged with another team in 1987. Sometimes I look back fondly on a time when things remained a mystery and you couldn't find out everything about anything within seconds of thinking about it. The world just becomes so prosaic.
Agreed, remember when you could have a long enjoyable argument about things before some bugger could kill it dead with a quick google.

Encyclopaedia Britannica was the go to when you got home :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm just curious, without looking it up (be honest ladies and gentlemen) who can:

1. Name a team in the Saudi League
  2. Point to where they are based on a map of Saudi Arabia
  3. Say what color they play in
  4. Can describe their badge
  5. Can name their stadium
  6. Can say when they last won a trophy
I'll be honest, I'm 0-6 on that. I get about as far as Al-somethingOrOther

I could probably get some of these for most major leagues.
Agree, but the Saudis don’t care about securing viewers from the UK or US, whereas the fickle fans in Asia and Africa will watch whichever team or league has the biggest stars in it.

This could be great for football in this country if it pops the PL global bubble. Perhaps we’ll get some perspective back.

I think it could speed up the European Super League as top clubs seek a way to combat the Saudis. But remember, the Saudis have played a blinder by sticking Trojan horse owners into clubs like Newcastle. They have spies on the inside.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Agreed, remember when you could have a long enjoyable argument about things before some bugger could kill it dead with a quick google.

Encyclopaedia Britannica was the go to when you got home :lolol:
:ROFLMAO: That's just made me look up the clip from 'The Office' when Gareth & Brent are being interviewed about the previous quiz argument over whether Mr Spock was a Vulcan or half human. Brent says that he had to go home and get a book to prove it. Also Includes both 'All I'm saying is 'Look at his ears', and 'Now get that dog out of my sight.' You forget how good the writing was.

Sorry - Saudi Arabian football...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's incredible good fortune for Chelsea that they've been able to move on all the players they wanted to, including a good number to Saudi Arabian clubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're all being taken for a Riyadh.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
There are 16 teams in the league and in 21/22 - 12 of those had average attendances that we would have been disappointed with when we were at Withdean. Of the other 4, only one was over 20,000. Like the Chinese League and so many US leagues in the last century, it will be an expensive white elephant that will be of little interest. The monied class's repeated attempts to create a football culture out of thin air lack any understanding of what motivates people to watch football. Yes, seeing George Best turn out in an exhibition game at Newhaven Town in the late 80's was a novelty - a friend even got him to sign his Weddoes album, but seeing someone like him turn out regularly against players of a far worse standard is of no interest to any of us. We don't watch football because of individual players, we go for the team. In years to come, we won't be trying to impress people with stories about how we watched Ronaldo play at the Amex, we'll be telling people that we stuffed United.

The worry about the Saudi League is that it's intent may not be to succeed as a league, but that it may be being used to financially doctor other leagues. The transfer fees look dodgy. You expect lesser known clubs in lesser known leagues to have to overpay on wages to make it worthwhile for a player to move. However, you don't need to pay their clubs transfer fees that are massively more than they are worth. A total of about €100m has been spent on 4 players close to or over thirty. The selling clubs would have been lucky to get a significant fee for most of these players and yet they are making profits over what market value would suggest. The fact that clubs with FFP issues are amongst those enjoying inexplicable windfalls makes it all smell fishy. From the outside, it's looking less like a football league and more like an overseas money washing service.
I follow Toronto FC so I have something to talk to my Candian boss about. He does not go to games because they are massivley expensive.

He said that the teams in the MLS are created by a corporate business and all about selling hospitality and functions to watch games. obviously they do have public seats but the cost a lot.

The issue with all the new startup leagues is they are funded, not for the local comunitty but to make investors money.

The teams in Europupe were built from the community up, so as fans we feel we own them and that the "owners" are just custodians.

For people in Toronto it is very dificult to say "This is our club, we want fair prices" or feel the same level of connection.
It is not just football either, they have this issue with it is ice hockey as well. The sports are for buinesses to show off.

Attachments

• 1689349175813.png
    1689349175813.png
    269.6 KB · Views: 40

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports