Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi League

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
stinks doesn’t it.
Mr H was not long ago professing his shoulder to shoulder support for LGBT etc. Yet come the offer of what, circa 350 million a year Saudi records don’t seen to matter all that much. Shoulder to shoulder. yeah, right.

Do you remember the excuse churned out by football pundits who milked the Qatari WC? I feel I can do more good here, winning the hearts and minds of Qataris, in making the world a more tolerant place. Rather than being sat at home [not earning a wedge].

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
And our Sponsor American Express changes it logos to rainbows in most countries, participates in Pride marches except the Middle East where it also operates and doesn’t acknowledge any of these things. Hell - some of the employees based out of Brighton cover the UAE & Saudi !

Everyone has double standard when money is involved
yes, my friend they certainly do

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Do you remember the excuse churned out by football pundits who milked the Qatari WC? I feel I can do more good here, winning the hearts and minds of Qataris, in making the world a more tolerant place. Rather than being sat at home [not earning a wedge].
yes, I think many people had a little bit of sick in their mouths listening to that bollox

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Given footballers aren't always the brightest when it comes to decision making and lifestyle choices, how long before the first Saudi based player makes a monumental fuckup? Or will they enjoy the same protection and cover ups the Saudi elites enjoy?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Steve Sidwell: “You see established managers and coaches going there now – Michael Emenalo, who was the technical director at Chelsea, looks like he’s going to be fronting the Saudi Pro League. You can see that there’s a process and a plan, there’s longevity in this. If I was playing, I’d go there in a heartbeat – not so much if I was in the early or middle stages of my career, but those who go at the end of their career, you can’t blame them. If they start getting top talent and top youngsters there as well, then I’m all for it.”

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Most of the world.

Outside of football's heartlands of Europe and South America the majority of football fans follow players rather than clubs. All those Japanese that you see at the Amex nowadays aren't there to watch Brighton, they're there to watch Mitoma. Same with the Ecuadorians. They're there for Caicedo primarily. When those players leave, so will the fans.

If the Saudi league keeps going the way it has this summer over the next few years more and more people will fly in from all over the world to watch the games and the global television audience will boom.

If it keeps going the way it has been then what we're watching is effectively the birth of the European Super League just it'll be in the middle east not Europe.

What might then follow from that is a global super league. The big clubs form around the world and the many, many money men involved in or sniffing around football will not want to miss the gravy boat.
I have also noticed that a fair few of the big name high profile players that have gone there are icons in the Muslim community. Benzema, Mahrez, Koulibaly all devout Muslims. I wonder if there is any factor in that to enhance local interest in the Middle East even further and help to increase attendances etc and really get it going. Or whether simply they feel players are more willing to go (for the right price as well of course) if they are also of the religion of the country as they will embrace the culture more easily.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Steve Sidwell: “You see established managers and coaches going there now – Michael Emenalo, who was the technical director at Chelsea, looks like he’s going to be fronting the Saudi Pro League. You can see that there’s a process and a plan, there’s longevity in this. If I was playing, I’d go there in a heartbeat – not so much if I was in the early or middle stages of my career, but those who go at the end of their career, you can’t blame them. If they start getting top talent and top youngsters there as well, then I’m all for it.”

Unfortunately he would need to spend half of his wages on sun cream

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I'm just curious, without looking it up (be honest ladies and gentlemen) who can:

1. Name a team in the Saudi League
  2. Point to where they are based on a map of Saudi Arabia
  3. Say what color they play in
  4. Can describe their badge
  5. Can name their stadium
  6. Can say when they last won a trophy
I'll be honest, I'm 0-6 on that. I get about as far as Al-somethingOrOther

I could probably get some of these for most major leagues.
I, like you, am 0-6 on your questions.

Freestyler

Jul 29, 2023
So far they are only attracting knackered players at the end of their careers or players on the downward slope. Vey surprised at Verratti and Mahrez. Both only 30 and can still play at the top level. Obviously have lost all ambition. Personally I don't think this Mickey Mouse league will go anywhere. When they start buying up loads of up and coming players and those around mid 20s then I think we will have to take notice but that aint going to happen. The chinese league died and so will this one.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So far they are only attracting knackered players at the end of their careers or players on the downward slope. Vey surprised at Verratti and Mahrez. Both only 30 and can still play at the top level. Obviously have lost all ambition. Personally I don't think this Mickey Mouse league will go anywhere. When they start buying up loads of up and coming players and those around mid 20s then I think we will have to take notice but that aint going to happen. The chinese league died and so will this one.
As I understand it, the Chinese League was very different. China, for a while, thought encouraging football would be a good idea but the finances weren’t piled in by the state. The authorities quickly lost their enthusiasm when they saw how much money was pouring out of the country for no meaningful return. Four of the Saudi clubs are fully backed by a state with unlimited resources and a deep desire to whitewash its overseas image. Money is no object. Even so, they’re centralising the transfer process to keep the transfer fees reasonable (by their mad standards). It’s not a half-arsed approach like China. It’s an organised, concerted effort on multiple fronts to make Saudi Arabia the hub of the sporting world and attach their name to something the whole world finds enjoyable, rather than rely on the more niche appeal of bigotry and chopping up journalists.

Freestyler

Jul 29, 2023
As I understand it, the Chinese League was very different. China, for a while, thought encouraging football would be a good idea but the finances weren’t piled in by the state. The authorities quickly lost their enthusiasm when they saw how much money was pouring out of the country for no meaningful return. Four of the Saudi clubs are fully backed by a state with unlimited resources and a deep desire to whitewash its overseas image. Money is no object. Even so, they’re centralising the transfer process to keep the transfer fees reasonable (by their mad standards). It’s not a half-arsed approach like China. It’s an organised, concerted effort on multiple fronts to make Saudi Arabia the hub of the sporting world and attach their name to something the whole world finds enjoyable, rather than rely on the more niche appeal of bigotry and chopping up journalists.
Imagine the zillions they would need to buy up the many many players they would need to make this anywhere near a decent league. I believe everyone/country have a limit. I'd like to see FIFA ban the sale of any player to the Saudi league. Its truly amazing how a country run by a killer is able to carry on like this. Buying up Newcastle etc etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Neves was a surprising outlier. Age 26, tipped to sign for Liverpool, Spurs or Manure.

The lure of a tax free £47m overriding playing in La Liga or PL.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Neves was a surprising outlier. Age 26, tipped to sign for Liverpool, Spurs or Manure.

The lure of a tax free £47m overriding playing in La Liga or PL.
Allan Saint-Maximin is also 26, although that deal looks somewhat suspect.

Freestyler

Jul 29, 2023
I wonder how much the Fulham manager is on considering he was offered 20m? Its alot to turn down. He could easily go for a couple of years and then return to top flight football for years whereas most of the players going to Saudi only have a few years left.

Freestyler

Jul 29, 2023
They are just buying up all these sports and people are flocking. I wonder if the Saudis killer leader was found to have killed others which he probably has, would this make any difference. Prob not. I so hope in the future we really do all drive electric cars.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Imagine the zillions they would need to buy up the many many players they would need to make this anywhere near a decent league. I believe everyone/country have a limit. I'd like to see FIFA ban the sale of any player to the Saudi league. Its truly amazing how a country run by a killer is able to carry on like this. Buying up Newcastle etc etc.
They’ve got the zillions. That’s the problem.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There are 16 teams in the league and in 21/22 - 12 of those had average attendances that we would have been disappointed with when we were at Withdean. Of the other 4, only one was over 20,000. Like the Chinese League and so many US leagues in the last century, it will be an expensive white elephant that will be of little interest. The monied class's repeated attempts to create a football culture out of thin air lack any understanding of what motivates people to watch football. Yes, seeing George Best turn out in an exhibition game at Newhaven Town in the late 80's was a novelty - a friend even got him to sign his Weddoes album, but seeing someone like him turn out regularly against players of a far worse standard is of no interest to any of us. We don't watch football because of individual players, we go for the team. In years to come, we won't be trying to impress people with stories about how we watched Ronaldo play at the Amex, we'll be telling people that we stuffed United.

The worry about the Saudi League is that it's intent may not be to succeed as a league, but that it may be being used to financially doctor other leagues. The transfer fees look dodgy. You expect lesser known clubs in lesser known leagues to have to overpay on wages to make it worthwhile for a player to move. However, you don't need to pay their clubs transfer fees that are massively more than they are worth. A total of about €100m has been spent on 4 players close to or over thirty. The selling clubs would have been lucky to get a significant fee for most of these players and yet they are making profits over what market value would suggest. The fact that clubs with FFP issues are amongst those enjoying inexplicable windfalls makes it all smell fishy. From the outside, it's looking less like a football league and more like an overseas money washing service.
The second part of this is spot on. But there is enough money sloshing around to make sure this isn't discussed as often as it should be by people who are paid to do something about it.

Not sure I agree with your first para though. We may not follow individuals, but the younger generation do in increasing numbers.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Appreciate money wise this is on another level but years ago players went off to China and a lesser extent India. Never hear of these leagues now although I suppose with there new wealth maybe China will make a comeback
Missing the point I think. It's not will the league survive, it's the amount of money flowing in to selected clubs (via purchases at inflated prices and potential loans) that is skewing other leagues and making ffp controls redundant. China and MLS never did this.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
one thing you can't buy is fans. Same reason the WC over there was tarnished. There is no fan culture like other leagues

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here