Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi League

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I don't really give a toss about any of the foreign leagues – which means the Saudi one doesn't interest me, regardless of who is playing in it. I see that the various leagues are covered by different channels – and have probably dipped into bits of game a handful of times – but I just struggle to be interested beyond Brighton and/or the PL. Maybe the odd championship game at a push.

It's a weird one because the PL is clearly 'international', but is it really the same for the likes of Germany, Spain, France, etc? I guess to, to a point, which is what the Sand- and oil-botherers want a piece of, but I just haven't noticed, or chose not to care.

Anyone else?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
It reminds me of when the Chinese league did the same thing a few years back and that faded away pretty quickly.
However I feel that with a majority of the clubs being government backed it is more sustainable so I could see it getting to the level of popularity that the MLS has.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It reminds me of when the Chinese league did the same thing a few years back and that faded away pretty quickly.
However I feel that with a majority of the clubs being government backed it is more sustainable so I could see it getting to the level of popularity that the MLS has.
China was completely different. It was owners going somewhat against the wishes of the regime and not being state backed. They put an end to spending on foreign entities which is why Inter have been so screwed by finances recently.

4 clubs in Saudi are backed by the state owned PIF. It's done with the full blessings of the state which makes it far more sustainable in terms of investment.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just why footballing mercenaries with any moral compass should avoid this sports washing, backwards state.

Disgusting..... and Newcastle fans with banners and a global TV audience, should be using that to try and challenge such human rights injustices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here