Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday, prime time telly, anybody bother?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bloody hell - that brings back memories - TFI before going out and "The Word" with toenail and corn eating when you came back smashed !

God yeah,, "I'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET ON TELLY" and that really crap student cookery prog called Get Stuffed. Terrible!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd welcome the return of Catchphrase, but presented by Mr Chips, who repeatedly asks when we see framed footage of some gobbling OAP being seemingly rogered by a turkey or donkey WHAT'S MR ROY WALKER DOING? So, live-action clues performed by the near-dead "comedian" and the whole quiz presented by a largely featureless and mute computerised box who talks with his eyes.

It seems like quizshows are only for charities now with out-of-work or married couple celebrities fighting for the honour of a moment in the limelight in the name of charitability. Whatever happened to the fat families from Rugby who had the chance to win £883 and turn their lives around?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Saturday night TV has always been terrible as far as I can remember.

The issue is exacerbated by the average British families desire to sit at home night after night staring at the goggle box. Obviously, the climate doesn't help but in the summer can't people go outside? If it's cold or raining perhaps turn off the TV and find another way to entertain yourself.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've never watched Strictly Come Dancing, no appeal for me at all I watch X Fctor for the first few weeks until all the mongoloids are done with, when it's just the talent I lose interest. Not Prime Time, but Top of The Lake was superb, now gone. Looking forward to starting Montalbano.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saturday night TV has always been terrible as far as I can remember.

The issue is exacerbated by the average British families desire to sit at home night after night staring at the goggle box. Obviously, the climate doesn't help but in the summer can't people go outside? If it's cold or raining perhaps turn off the TV and find another way to entertain yourself.

It seems pretty clear that nobody really watches it on here except those with young families. . If I am in on a Saturday I watch a film or go for a stroll, it seems most do the same. Though there are swathes of families that must watch it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bullseye wasn't on a Saturday, it was Sunday....the most depressing night of a child's week. Even now the theme tunes to the following progs make me a bit uneasy:

Bullseye
Antiques Roadshow
Supergran
Last of The Summer Wine
All Creatures Great And Small
Howard's Way.

Urrrgh. I had to leave the sitting room.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It seems pretty clear that nobody really watches it on here except those with young families. . If I am in on a Saturday I watch a film or go for a stroll, it seems most do the same. Though there are swathes of families that must watch it.

Maybe it's a north v south thing.

I don't know anybody who admits to watching ITV but statistics show that people most certainly ARE watching it. Perhaps they are all dirty northern *******s?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Maybe it's a north v south thing.

I don't know anybody who admits to watching ITV but statistics show that people most certainly ARE watching it. Perhaps they are all dirty northern *******s?

Could be. My ex was from Bolton. Nine years I was with her, every trip to her parents in Egerton contained at least one night of her brother and his wife and kid coming over on a Saturdy night and all of us sitting in front of tellybox with spg bol (always spag bol on a Saturday) beers and fizzy pop watching X Factor. I just used to get slowly sozzled on the couch and wish the time away. To be fair, there were some funny moments doing that and it was a bit cosy but I couldn't resign myself to a lifetime of it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Bullseye wasn't on a Saturday, it was Sunday....the most depressing night of a child's week. Even now the theme tunes to the following progs make me a bit uneasy:

Bullseye
Antiques Roadshow
Supergran
Last of The Summer Wine
Howard's Way.

Feck off! If you didn't like Supergran as a kid there was something wrong with you...

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

Bullseye
Antiques Roadshow
Supergran
Last of The Summer Wine
Howard's Way.

all i can think about when last of the summer wine came on was - this sunday is nearly over

i was rescued by sky when i was 12-13 - new episode of simpsons, followed by dream team, followed by katie's home videos - a delight

Jimmy Grimble

I think the broadcasters attitude is that a lot of people go out on a Saturday night, especially in the summer months so why bother blowing their best programmes and putting anything decent on? Friday night is much better as most people are knackered after the working week and more likely to stay in - Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys are brilliant.

I've never watched X Factor in my life but viewing figures are apparently going down each year.

I can't believe no one has picked up on this post yet :lolol:

"Miranda and Mrs Brown's boys are brilliant"

HAS to be a wind up! :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

True. It does seem to be a curiously British condition though. In other countries you are much more likely to see families out together in the evenings. As I said before, the climate doesn't help, nor does the price of doing anything other than sitting at home.

There's also the issue of town centres becoming no go zones for kids on a Friday or Saturday night. But then I guess if there was a demand for more family-friendly venues they'd exist.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Feck off! If you didn't like Supergran as a kid there was something wrong with you...

Totally agree. We used to watch it with our children, who now as adults both have fond memories of it. Very funny and thoroughly entertaining. The fact that my wife's mother was Scottish added to the appeal - she was Supergran.

But we always liked the villain - The Scunner Campbell.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Starsky and Hutch Followed by MOTD great days, but you also had Cannon and Petrocelli,Did he ever finish that house?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Saturday evening Torchwood, Primeval. Merlin, and Doctor Who was great but they arent being replaced

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here