Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday from a City perspective

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be fair the first three of those were down to a long injury list. Cardiff we were just terrible, and all teams have days where they don't turn up.
I agree. It does illustrate, though, that we can put our own defeats down to 'off days' as well without too much of a stretch.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Clearly.

But then some say we had off days against Wolves, Ipswich, Rotherham and Cardiff last year.

Apart from The Cardiff match where we were not very good , all the other matches you mentioned we had lots of injuries and suspension to contend with , and the lack of strength in depth over this period which really cost us promotion

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think what's really impressive about Saturday is that it was achieved without arguably our two best players. How good is this side with Knocky and Kayal back in it?

The last time I had a feeling this positive about the Albion was when we beat Peterborough 3-0 away the season we won league one. I came out of there thinking we will win this league and I feel this side will go close too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Duffy and Dunk get all the credit but I think the whole team should get equal credit by the way they play as a complete unit. I watched the sky round up show yesterday and they were showing how we press as a team when the opponents have the ball and make things very difficult for them. They then showed the Wigan match and you could see the difference between the way they defended compared to us.

Quite like the fact they referred to us as a juggernaut in the division

I think it was far more about what Stephens and Sidwell did than Duffy and Dunk although, having said that, I don't want to over-emphasise them because, as you say, again it was far more about the team than individuals/partnerships.

el punal

It's always difficult to tell whether a team simply didn't turn up or just weren't allowed to play.

Saturday reminded me of when Big Sam's West Ham came down to the Amex, went one up and then just let us play in front of them for the rest of the game, safe in the knowledge that they were good enough to stop us doing much and, if we did, they'd turn it on again. Professional.

Abraham looks like a proper player, it has to be said. Our group were very impressed with him in the opening passages of play and a wee bit fearful. After that he either drifted out of the game or we got the measure of him,but for someone who has only just turned 19 and is just starting first team football he looks very good. City did well to bring him in.

That West Ham game always reminded me of the Charles Atlas ad. (those of you of a certain age will remember it!). We, the Albion, were the seven stone weakling on the beach with a girl when the West Ham bully kicked sand in our faces. Weakling stands up to protest and West Ham bully basically says f**k off, wot y'goin to do abaht it.

Seven stone Albion is told to p*ss off by the girl and goes home and applies for the Charles Atlas course on how to be a He-Man in six weeks or seven days or whatever.

Some time later, seven stone Albion is now a He-Man and returns to the beach to see West Ham bully with his ex-bird, calls him out and beats the living crap out of the Boleyn Bovver Boy. Ex-bird has an orgasm on the spot and reunites with He-Man Albion, who inwardly thinks "Thanks to you Charles Atlas!".

For Albion reference purposes Charles Atlas is Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, He-Man Albion have now progressed to Mr.Universe status but with a bit of edginess - instead of kicking sand in people's faces, it's lumps of concrete. Eat that wimps!

Cool story eh? :whistle:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That West Ham game always reminded me of the Charles Atlas ad. (those of you of a certain age will remember it!). We, the Albion, were the seven stone weakling on the beach with a girl when the West Ham bully kicked sand in our faces. Weakling stands up to protest and West Ham bully basically says f**k off, wot y'goin to do abaht it.

Seven stone Albion is told to p*ss off by the girl and goes home and applies for the Charles Atlas course on how to be a He-Man in six weeks or seven days or whatever.

Some time later, seven stone Albion is now a He-Man and returns to the beach to see West Ham bully with his ex-bird, calls him out and beats the living crap out of the Boleyn Bovver Boy. Ex-bird has an orgasm on the spot and reunites with He-Man Albion, who inwardly thinks "Thanks to you Charles Atlas!".

For Albion reference purposes Charles Atlas is Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, He-Man Albion have now progressed to Mr.Universe status but with a bit of edginess - instead of kicking sand in people's faces, it's lumps of concrete. Eat that wimps!

Cool story eh? :whistle:

WTF?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol City have had a decent start, and are clearly improved on last season, that said, my impression is that they have a few potential match winners (Tomlin, Abraham etc) but the spine of the team isn't all that. Fielding or O'Donnell in goal: neither inspire confidence from what I've seen. There's no obvious midfield enforcer, and the defence is relatively weak for a side near the top end of the table. The full backs were both struggling at the weekend, and Aden .Flint is a liability at Championship level (cult hero though he seems to be with City fans).

Johnson seems to be doing alright with the team so far. I noticed he seemed to be getting a bit of stick on OTIB, which seemed slightly unfair. I just thought we were far better on the day. We never looked like conceding- apart from maybe when Tomlin fluffed that early chance, and once we had the lead, the midfield and defence simply closed the game out brilliantly. Abraham had a lively start, but was barely even seen after about fifteen to twenty minutes.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
I thought some of the City players still looked like they were playing in league 1. Awful.

Tomlin looks extremely chunky but somehow manages to accelerate quickly which surprised me.

Johnson has said it will take 3/4 transfer windows to get a squad capable of challenging for the play offs so at the minute I'll take mid table which I reckon we are capable of

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
It's always difficult to tell whether a team simply didn't turn up or just weren't allowed to play.

Saturday reminded me of when Big Sam's West Ham came down to the Amex, went one up and then just let us play in front of them for the rest of the game, safe in the knowledge that they were good enough to stop us doing much and, if we did, they'd turn it on again. Professional.

Abraham looks like a proper player, it has to be said. Our group were very impressed with him in the opening passages of play and a wee bit fearful. After that he either drifted out of the game or we got the measure of him,but for someone who has only just turned 19 and is just starting first team football he looks very good. City did well to bring him in.

He is a top young player tbf we are very lucky to have him

In reference to the Bamford comparisons, Tammy has already played prem football for Chelsea and was picked for their USA tour in the summer. Conte has expressed how he wants to get him back to Chelsea and how he sees him as their future which I think may well happen

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really like your manager and said as much during the game before I heard his classy interview. Always a good pundit on FLS and seems dignified - one for the future in the Chris Hughton mould of being humble & fair.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
I saw Johnson interviewed and thought he came across well. Hopefully he is given time and does well.

He does come across very well and obviously knows what he is talking about, I'm willing to give him a few seasons here as if anyone can take us up he will imo

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Always hard to judge whether you didn't turn up or whether we just snuffed out your threat.

Everyone that lose to us tend to have their worst game of the season, I think it would be true if they realised we were just too good for them. Snuffing out the danger is key to any game. We tend to do it better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He is a top young player tbf we are very lucky to have him

In reference to the Bamford comparisons, Tammy has already played prem football for Chelsea and was picked for their USA tour in the summer. Conte has expressed how he wants to get him back to Chelsea and how he sees him as their future which I think may well happen

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but Bamford does come across as though he might have a bit of an attitude about him. Abraham seems to have immersed himself fully in the Bristol City experience right from the start, no Mr Big I Am simply because he's a Chelsea player (who probably earns more at 18 than many in the City squad), and to be a popular member of the squad. He must be learning loads from a season in the Championship. Good to see a young English striker doing well...it'd be nice to see him develop into an international player in time.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Perhaps I'm being unfair, but Bamford does come across as though he might have a bit of an attitude about him. Abraham seems to have immersed himself fully in the Bristol City experience right from the start, no Mr Big I Am simply because he's a Chelsea player (who probably earns more at 18 than many in the City squad), and to be a popular member of the squad. He must be learning loads from a season in the Championship. Good to see a young English striker doing well...it'd be nice to see him develop into an international player in time.

Him and Rashford up front fills me with hope for the future haha

He was on the local radio recently and came across as a really level headed nice kid, he gets stuck in every training session and seems to be loving his time here

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Him and Rashford up front fills me with hope for the future haha

He was on the local radio recently and came across as a really level headed nice kid, he gets stuck in every training session and seems to be loving his time here

Sounds like he's got decent family behind him too then. When I hear about Chelsea paying some of these young lads £20-£30k per week from the day they turn seventeen, I always wonder what that must do to their lives. The hangers on, the golddiggers, the pushy parents trying to live out their own dreams through their offspring. It's no wonder so many of them fall by the wayside.

Why can't you find a solid full back, by the way? That young lad you had last season had a torrid time in the game at Ashton Gate, and now Little too :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here