[Travel] Santander bike hire up in that there London town

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You mean try to survive when people in 2t lumps of metal are trying to kill you?

..and treat pedestrians as collateral damage in their war of the roads

Cars very rarely frighten me in London because they are forced to drive so slowly, cyclists frighten me all the time.

Their world is not a Mary Poppins utopia where everyone is cycling with a little basket and a bell they can ring their bell to warn pedestrians of their presence,

Unfortunately the vast majority are travelling at speed, jumping the lights, using the pavement and are impatient in getting where they need to go.

I see it every day. Couldn't give a toss if there aren't enough cycle lanes. The pavement is mine not yours and when I cross the road when the man is green I expect you to stop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
I'd suggest taking Cycleway 3 through Hyde Park and along the embankment before heading north when you reach London Bridge area. Cycleway 3 is excellent, fully segregated from vehicles, separate signals for cyclists at junctions, plus great views of the river and landmarks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’m a big fan and cycle from Kings Cross to Paddington twice a week. A few tips: take your helmets, look for the newer bikes if you get the choice, try and keep to the cycle lanes on some of the backroads…much more enjoyable although will add a few minutes to your journey.

Something you need to be mindful of though. It’s £2 for unlimited journeys under 30 mins within a 24hr period. If your time clicks over 30 mins then you will be charged £2 for each additional 30 mins….this could add up for you.

Enjoy, it’s the best way to travel in London.

Thanks.

I'm prepared for it to not come cheap and will pay extra for a safer longer route.

It's going to be a lovely sunny day it seems a shame to waste some of it underground, esp when our 2 events are at either ends of the afternoon.

Now got to plan a route.

If you're canny - do what I do. Pick up a bike at the main station. After 20 minutes or so (enough to have covered a fair way) stop off and deposit your bike. Have a look in a few shop windows (I think it has to be about five minutes). Hire another bike from same place, for another 20 minutes. If you're not in any rush, it's a good way of exploring odd places you wouldn't normally go to.

And yes - take the wiggly routes. Central London back streets are quieter than many town roads.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just a warning that they are very heavy. I've used one a few times but always arrived in a puddle of sweat. They are very easy to use and there are lots of parking stations so long as you don't go south of Clapham.

Ideal sweat puddles forecast for Saturday…26c with just a light breeze

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I use a 'Human Forest' Bike to get to and from work each day. 15p per minute and free to park in a green zone. They're electric (capped at 25kph) so dont get sweaty, which is good. Might work out cheaper given the 30 min cap scheme on the Santander bikes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also - try to stick to the cycle superhighways. They're much easier

Thanks I'll have that as backup.
[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s canal towpath is just too good an opportunity to miss.
But I'm pretty sure it'll be rammed with Walk W-anchors, dropping us down to the Highway.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Take the bus, go on the upper deck and see more of London than you would do on the bikes or underground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well that was super duper.

A few teething troubles at Clapham but got there in the end.

Cycled to South Ken in fine fettle.
Wandered round to Marble Arch before riding to Hackney.

All perfectly safe, much of it on segregated lanes.
We finished off on CS1 which was deathly quiet.

Even the wallet inspector was really nice.
Its a shame mine failed it's WOT but he said he'd post it back once it's passed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well that was super duper.

A few teething troubles at Clapham but got there in the end.

Cycled to South Ken in fine fettle.
Wandered round to Marble Arch before riding to Hackney.

All perfectly safe, much of it on segregated lanes.
We finished off on CS1 which was deathly quiet.

Even the wallet inspector was really nice.
Its a shame mine failed it's WOT but he said he'd post it back once it's passed.

Clapham or Clapham Junction ?

It matters.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't need to mine it, the pavements are made of it.

Admit it, you got off the train in Battersea and have come on here all lah-di-dah claiming to set foot in Clapham.

Junction.

We cycled passed Stamford Bridge - no less.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I moved years ago, Clapham is a dump. You were in a much better bit of town.

I'm technically Clapham Junction Gull these days, but simply can't be bothered to change.

How's the wippet?

I assume it's going to start getting dark soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here