Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sandwich/roll fillings

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since I found I was gluten and lactose intolerant....I can eat bread only that tastes like cardboard, but it toasts reasonably well and I'll have some melted lactose free cheese under the grill, with garnishings, but it isn't a sandwich. It's a sadwich. Never again will I enjoy tuna, mayo, salt and pepper and thin slices of tomato on a wholemeal bun. Never. The b'stards! (genes). :rant::angry::facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Number 1 is worrying me :mad:

Yeah but it depends on both "what type of cheese" and "what type of dates".

Shoving a nice, rich, creamy blue with a few proper sticky dates into a fresh baguette does it for me. It is, dare I say, exotic.

Sticking some shit cheddar together with the packet dates you get with a sell by date of 2025 into some white sliced is a food crime that should be punishable with a season ticket in the Holmesdale.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah but it depends on both "what type of cheese" and "what type of dates".

Shoving a nice, rich, creamy blue with a few proper sticky dates into a fresh baguette does it for me. It is, dare I say, exotic.

Sticking some shit cheddar together with the packet dates you get with a sell by date of 2025 into some white sliced is a food crime that should be punishable with a season ticket in the Holmesdale.
Both variations are excellent, if you avoid unnecessarily derogatory words for delicious cheddar cheddar cheese and lovely fresh white bread.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Both variations are excellent, if you avoid unnecessarily derogatory words for delicious cheddar cheddar cheese and lovely fresh white bread.

There is shit cheddar - it bends. FACT.

There is good cheddar - it crumbles and takes the roof of your mouth off. FACT.

Neither is as good with a date (edible, rather than the type you go on) as a nice creamy blue. FACT.

:wink:

:moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lolol:

Number 3 is, frankly, disturbing :eek:

Ignorance is - in your case - anything but bliss. In my younger days, long cycle rides on hot days, with a pack of sandwiches in a hot rucksack - for some reason the pea sandwiches retained both moisture and freshness when all other sandwiches had given up the ghost, dried out and curled at the edges pathetically. Trouble is, it's not easy to find proper processed peas these days - garden peas, marrowfat peas and mushy peas just do not work in the same way. I fear younger generations may have missed out.

Mind you, how many mum's these days would let a couple of 11 year olds out on their own to ride their bikes 10 or 12 miles to the next town and back?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I used to work in Camden many years ago and before it got rebranded as "organisational drinking culture" we would routinely spend Friday lunch time in Quinns (2 hours) and wipe the afternoon off.

Lunch was "tuna melt". Tinned tuna, very strong cheddar on wholemeal bread, buttered on the outside then toasted. This was routinely served with an optional Heinz Tomato Ketchup on the side.

Always drunk with bitter.

It was incredible.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Crunchy Turkey and stuffing sandwiches/rolls are very nice.

They are completely wrong but I do like those Christmas sandwiches. Odd thing is I'm not a fan of Roast Dinner let alone Christmas Dinner.

You do feel like you have eaten a Christmas Dinner after eating one though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I had liver sausage and cucumber today on white (obvs) as an 80s throwback, with a modern twist...added some gherkins. Very very nice!

Next week: Sandwich Spread!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Extra strong Cheddar Cheese and English Mustard in thick white bread with plenty of butter.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A nice light panini cut in half, crack a raw egg in the middle, put it back together and microwave for1 minute so that the egg cooks in the roll. If you like the egg runny, microwave for 45 seconds.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Interesting thread.

Paleo these days, so

Avocado and pomegranate on wild mushroom quinoa.

(I'm bullshitting of course)

Yesterday was a marginally less pretentious Tuna mayo with kalamata olives

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I fear the OP has paid insufficient attention to the question he posed. The nature of the specific type of bread product is absolutely critical to what is best placed inside/on top.

Accordingly:

White, floured bap: two soft fried eggs. Try to keep the yolk inside the bap as you eat it, of course, but when you inevitably fail, use a piece of the bap to mop the spillage up off your plate (or shirt).

Crusty, white roll: cheddar and tomato

Ciabatta: buffalo mozzarella, basil, tomato, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Granary: open sandwich: tuna melt

Wholemeal: cold roast lamb, salt

White: bacon, no sauce

White, toasted, open: pork dripping, pork jelly, salt, pepper

Etc

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Back when I first started working there was a sandwich shop in Air St just near The Quadrant that used to do an absolute slab of doorstep bread, slathered in enough melted cheese to bathe in and topped with caramelized onions. It truly was a thing of beauty. I've never seen its like again.

Then, when working later in The City we discovered both the Birley's Hot Special and a place that did a roast dinner in a baguette. I'm honestly drooling thinking about it.

In the absence of both, at home, during lockdown, it's chicken and crispy bacon, tossed in mayo, with Iceberg Lettuce on thick granary.

I remember those Air Street doorstep sandwiches in the mid 90s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here