Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez handball/red card?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I thought it was outside and therefore a red from my position in the West Upper which meant it was directly in front of me where it happened.

I've just watched the BBC MOTD highlights and it looked the same.

Walking down toward the station after the game a group of Grimsby fans were grumbling that it was as well and they'd seen a replay of it as well.

Based on the evidence I've seen today I'm inclined to go for 'Sanchez got away with one.'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Is a ‘better’ view

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
If any part of the ball is 'on' (not physically) the line when he touches the ball then it's inside the box. The camera angles are so shady that it's really difficult to tell but I'd say he got away with it.

Holoflux

Dec 27, 2021
Not in the above screenshot.
How about this one when he first touches the ball. Right foot over line (irrelevant on its own) but ball is in front of his right foot. But maybe not clear and obvious. Still think we got away with that. Still confident we would have won with 10 men.

Attachments

• BD9BEDF6-753A-4161-AF84-53E405B60942.jpeg
    BD9BEDF6-753A-4161-AF84-53E405B60942.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 30

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Either way, it was refreshing to see an opposition team at The Amex merely appeal to the referee in the form of the nearest player doing it, then just get on with it once the VAR nonsense had been completed, rather than surround the officials and hysterically demand a red card whilst implying the referee should also know who they are etc.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Is a ‘better’ view

I dont think that one clearly shows that the entire ball is out of the area. Inconclusive. I bet if you could swing the camera round so its looking down the line there's every chance a small portion of the ball is still above it.

This is like that Mitoma one from the world cup, some camera angle made it look well out, but others showed it was actually in.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How about this one when he first touches the ball. Right foot over line (irrelevant on its own) but ball is in front of his right foot. But maybe not clear and obvious. Still think we got away with that. Still confident we would have won with 10 men.
Inconclusive for the purposes of making a VAR decision.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
His toe is out of the area, but it doesnt look like the whole ball is ahead of his toe. Certainly 70/80% of the ball is, but if you had the camera in the right position there could very well be a slither of ball still in contact with the line & if its inconclusive you have to stick with the on field decision. It's a tight one, maybe lucky for Sanchez, but the refs/VAR did the right thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How about this one when he first touches the ball.

The camera is clearly not even close to being in line with the edge of the box, the camera is closer to the goal, so with the ball in the air it looks further out. Is it possible that the ball is completely outside the area? Yes. Can we be very sure it is? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here