Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Marino...and other minnows.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Why is it dying? It's the other way round for me. I rarely watch Champions League but do watch the Euros and the World Cup.

Same here- I find the champions league dull and uninspiring. However with the Euros and World Cup I watch every game I can as there is always a good chance of an upset.

These. I think I've watched 4 Champion's League matches in the last 5 years or so, and three of those were Chelsea last year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These. I think I've watched 4 Champion's League matches in the last 5 years or so, and three of those were Chelsea last year.

Would you agree that the Euro and WC finals are more exciting and colourful?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely. Unless we're talking about Euro 2020 or WC 2022...

That multi-country Euro final thing is going to be awful. I cannot see any benefit for anyone.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
England v San Marino reminded me of another game that was played last Sunday.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England v San Marino reminded me of another game that was played last Sunday.

Funnily enough, we were watching the game in a pub just outside Stoke.
Someone walking through said "it's like watching Stoke" to which the Port Vale supporter we'd been chatting to retorted "what, San Marino?" The Stoke supporter was suitably flustered and didn't respond!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm more interested in the bigger countries that have little to no impact on the world stage. The likes of India, China, Canada, and to a degree, USA and Australia vastly underperform given the size and population of the countries. I would be interested to know more about why they can't seem to find 11 players that can perform consistentlly.

Australia's population's a little over 20 million and football is far from the most popular sport. They don't do too badly. Canada don't have a huge population either (about 35 mill?) and football's not a major sport there.

China's an interesting one though. When you consider the population and sport funding you'd expect them to do better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here