Sami's tactics

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I'm not too worried as I get the impression Sami is a bit more flexible in his approach compared to Oscar. He's still trying work out what suits our squad the most.

I would like to think that is true but have my doubts tbh. All our signings have been bought with this system in mind it seems and whether you think the signings are any good or not, I can't see te system changing anytime soon.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really don't think this is the case, players are expected to complete roles which are totally alien to them.
You don't have a master baker making soup, just as you don't have a centre of midfield player covering full back

isn't that a bit of a contradiction ......you say a player is expected to complete roles alien to them...but then you say you don't have a central midfield player covering full back....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You would have thought that he would have noticed that before now - like at Swindon for example!

One imagines he has noticed it but as happens in football things don't always go to plan....early days in my book and personally i'm prepared to give it time

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One imagines he has noticed it but as happens in football things don't always go to plan....early days in my book and personally i'm prepared to give it time

Of course and nobody can say it's boring so far.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Without Matt Upson our defence is very unlikely to be as solid as it was for the last two seasons, whatever approach Hyypia takes.

Very much so and we do not have Ward/Bridge, whilst Greer, Calderon and Bruno are a year older and not improving (the fact that Greer is standing out is a bit indicative of the deficiencies of the rest).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Also our exposed centre-halves (and the goalie where appropriate) are our only aerial threat on the opposition's goal from set pieces. The next one in line for headers on goal, Crofts, has now changed from last season's 'pop-up' second striker to deputy right back.

Our conversion rate from corners has been very good in the past 2 games though: 16 corners; 3 goals. I think that we scored 3 goals from corners all of last season!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our conversion rate from corners has been very good in the past 2 games though: 16 corners; 3 goals. I think that we scored 3 goals from corners all of last season!

That is great but at the end of the day we are conceeding more so losing matches which is the crux of the critics of the SH tactcs

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The answer is simple. If you want to use wingbacks you need to sacrifice one of the midfielders and play three centre backs. That's how Mexico utilised wingbacks at the World Cup and they played really nice football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The answer is simple. If you want to use wingbacks you need to sacrifice one of the midfielders and play three centre backs. That's how Mexico utilised wingbacks at the World Cup and they played really nice football.

I would agree play Greer, Dunk Hughes as a back line then allow the full backs to get forward or another defensive midfielder alongside of Holla.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I would agree play Greer, Dunk Hughes as a back line then allow the full backs to get forward or another defensive midfielder alongside of Holla.

I think there is more chance of your second scenario i.e. another midfielder dropping deep, maybe alongside Holla when needed, rather than having 3 CBs as a back line.

Yes - in theory having 3 CBs ought to tighten things up but it also depends on their calibre - Greer, Dunk and Hughes are not blessed with pace so are vulnerable to speedy opponents. Yes CBs of their experience should be able to read the game but allowing the FBs to push on does leave space for swift counter attacks against us. All very well if we had a Lawrenson type of defender, but sadly we do not...

I did not enjoy seeing Crofts or Gardner trying to scramble back and across into a conventional FB position while Bennett was committed up field. The game seemed to pass Gardner by, but at least Crofts kept trying. However Crofts just hasn't the mobility to cope with Odubajo, so was getting mugged. It seemed to me that we are just compounding our errors several times over, rather than sort out the underlying tactic and formation in the first place.

I suspect that Ince and JFC might get a run out at Ipswich with Holla sitting in deep.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I think there is more chance of your second scenario i.e. another midfielder dropping deep, maybe alongside Holla when needed, rather than having 3 CBs as a back line.

Yes - in theory having 3 CBs ought to tighten things up but it also depends on their calibre - Greer, Dunk and Hughes are not blessed with pace so are vulnerable to speedy opponents. Yes CBs of their experience should be able to read the game but allowing the FBs to push on does leave space for swift counter attacks against us. All very well if we had a Lawrenson type of defender, but sadly we do not...

I did not enjoy seeing Crofts or Gardner trying to scramble back and across into a conventional FB position while Bennett was committed up field. The game seemed to pass Gardner by, but at least Crofts kept trying. However Crofts just hasn't the mobility to cope with Odubajo, so was getting mugged. It seemed to me that we are just compounding our errors several times over, rather than sort out the underlying tactic and formation in the first place.

I suspect that Ince and JFC might get a run out at Ipswich with Holla sitting in deep.
i cant see ince getting a look in at moment unless holla has a shocking game

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Ince, jfc and holla. Wow, that really would be defensive. All 3 practically play the same role.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Ince, jfc and holla. Wow, that really would be defensive. All 3 practically play the same role.

No, they really don't. JFC's natural position is just behind the striker(s). In no way is he a holding midfielder. With those three the logical way to play them would be to have Holla and Ince play side by side and JFC infront of them assisting the striker(s).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, they really don't. JFC's natural position is just behind the striker(s). In no way is he a holding midfielder. With those three the logical way to play them would be to have Holla and Ince play side by side and JFC infront of them assisting the striker(s).

I'd have Tex in front of them assisting the strikers rather than JFC any day.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I agree he is better further forward but under the regime of the last two seasons at least, he is employed far deeper. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It worked for Gus and Oscar and got us to the play offs each season.

Not a back four more a back 3 with the 2 defensive midfielders in front of them with wing backs, leaving 2 attacking midfield and a loan striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports