Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
True, but Peter Ward, Lionel Messi. Diego Maradona, Kenny Dalgliesh, Michael Owen and stacks of others tell me that shorter players with a lower sense of gravity are often great goal grabbers. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Dean Saunders Kevin Kegan and many others! It also depends on the style of football we will be playing!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Standing at all of 5' 7" he's hardly a like-for-like replacement for Ulloa!

Still taller than Leon Knight, and he scored a fair few goals I recall!

True, what he lacked in height, he also lacked in intelligence, personality or anything other desirable characteristic, but he averaged 1 goal per 3 games with us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
True, but Peter Ward, Lionel Messi. Diego Maradona, Kenny Dalgliesh, Michael Owen and stacks of others tell me that shorter players with a lower sense of gravity are often great goal grabbers. :rolleyes:

???

Could do a job :jester:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So what prompted the OP to start this thread anyway? Seemed a bit random, was there a rumour yesterday?

Anyway he would be ideal in a front 3 (or as Sami likes to play with 2 behind the main striker tucked in), playing off our other new Striker (whoever that is going to be)

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Just watched a YouTube montage of his goals and I like the look of him. Can use both feet, is strong and doesn't try to be too clever. Does things simply and is a real poacher!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Still taller than Leon Knight, and he scored a fair few goals I recall!

True, what he lacked in height, he also lacked in intelligence, personality or anything other desirable characteristic, but he averaged 1 goal per 3 games with us.

But he had Chris Iwelumo next to him and thrived, in a large part, as a result of that partnership. When we went to 3 up top in the championship with him, Carole and someone else short who's name escapes me, his goals almost completely dried up.

As for Baldock, I see him as a bit of a CMS-type. It wouldn't surprise me if with only a year left on his contract, we cashed in on CMS, Baldock replaced him AND we got another chap in.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I guess it'll be either Mason or Baldock, with another main striker to come in. Would be happy with either of those, Mason seems the more sensible/realistic option if they are intended to be backup/second striker option.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I think he could be worth signing if the fee is around the million pound mark, not worth much more than that from what i have seen of him but i haven't seen much of him since West Ham. i would rather have Joe Mason who has more league experience and looked a darn side better than Baldock, younger too, but i fear neither would grab 20 goals in this division.

A million quid for the top scoring striker in league one last year. I appreciate he only has a year left on his deal but if we got him for that price it would be a huge bargain.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reports we were after mason in january as a replacement for Barnes. A lot of people see O'Grady as a Barnes replacement. Do we need two replacements for Barnes?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Reports we were after mason in january as a replacement for Barnes. A lot of people see O'Grady as a Barnes replacement. Do we need two replacements for Barnes?

We need a replacement for Barnes, and for Hoskins, along with one for Leo.

O'Grady will be one of these.

This will stop the need for the short term loan strikers we've been taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here