Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock is the key

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Can't believe so many of you don't see what a class act SB is? Pacey, positionally astute and up until the injury was playing so well.

I put it down to a combination of bad memory and too much White Lightning for some of those on this board.

TNBA

TTF

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CMS had a point about how he was played, especially after Gus said he would build the team around him (CMS).

He may well have had a bit of a point then, but my post was referring to the thing CMS said a couple of days back about the outgoing Luton manager. Still being played out of position. still few goals...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can't believe so many of you don't see what a class act SB is? Pacey, positionally astute and up until the injury was playing so well.

I put it down to a combination of bad memory and too much White Lightning for some of those on this board.

TNBA

TTF

I think you are right on all of those points, but his primary job is surely to score goals, which is the key ingredient missing and trumps everything else for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not playing to the crowd though, just asking if Baldock has no worth to us, what or who is your solution...quite simple really

Start a 'solution' thread and I'll gladly contribute. Til then, for all but the hard of thinking, this remains a Baldock thread :dunce:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
It pains me to say, Baldock is simply not good enough for the Championship. I admire his work rate but he is out of his depth as a finisher.
Would be a good player to have to come on with fifteen minutes left to run at tired legs but even then I don't know if I can picture him being effective enough to be a real game changer.
I really hope he comes back on fire and makes me eat my words. Please 'god', make him the player we all wish he really was!
If we are to go up this season we need a Rhodes or a McCormack etc, someone proven to deliver goals at this level. A BZ with ten years less on the clock would be a dream but ultimately we are powder-puff up front. With a quality partner I think Hemed will look a far more assured forward and return a greater tally also. Obviously the issue is cost, but the stakes are high, so, Mr Bloom; stick or twist?

This - a lge1 player

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Start a 'solution' thread and I'll gladly contribute. Til then, for all but the hard of thinking, this remains a Baldock thread :dunce:

Jeez....its easy to say someone is rubbish get rid etc without thinking what the solution is or who is available that can fit the role that CH wants him to play...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It pains me to say, Baldock is simply not good enough for the Championship. I admire his work rate but he is out of his depth as a finisher.
Would be a good player to have to come on with fifteen minutes left to run at tired legs but even then I don't know if I can picture him being effective enough to be a real game changer.
I really hope he comes back on fire and makes me eat my words. Please 'god', make him the player we all wish he really was!
If we are to go up this season we need a Rhodes or a McCormack etc, someone proven to deliver goals at this level. A BZ with ten years less on the clock would be a dream but ultimately we are powder-puff up front. With a quality partner I think Hemed will look a far more assured forward and return a greater tally also. Obviously the issue is cost, but the stakes are high, so, Mr Bloom; stick or twist?

It's strange how different people see football isn't it. I'd argue that Hemed earlier in the season got a lot of his goals because of the room that was created for him by Baldock, who in actual fact, was making him look much better than he is. He's being found out without Baldock.

I'd also argue that with a better partner who holds the ball more effectively than Hemed does, who wins the ball regularly in the air and brings the midfield into play, Baldock would look even more effective.

Given a choice of who I'd be buying a strike partner for out of the strikers we own (not including Wilson), I'd be buying a better quality of striker to support Baldock (if indeed Zamora isn't able to play more regularly). Not that either of us is more right than the other.

Since he got injured, we've got 10 points in 8 games. Before his injury we had 34 points in 16 games... An interesting stat that, albeit one that doesn't tell the whole story by any stretch of the imagination.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Jeez....its easy to say someone is rubbish get rid etc without thinking what the solution is or who is available that can fit the role that CH wants him to play...

Sam. Face facts. It's not just me. Read the rest of the comments on this thread. Which is not a 'solution' thread. It's just a Baldock thread. Happy to keep pointing this out to you all night til I get bored or go out. Time for a word with yourself maybe?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Baldock did play a fair portion of his games out wide left last season before his injury, and actually played the position rather well once he got to grips with it,

I thought he did well in that role. Scope as a second striker going wide, but he is not so good at coming deep and taking the ball on the half turn. Not got the extra pace to run of the shoulder off the defender either. I prefer Lualua and Wilson.

If we have three upfront I like Zamora (if he could hack a whole game at optimum), Lualua (central role if fit) and March (if he was fit) together.

Looks like thie best match will not be on, ever as it will be Bobby Zamora's last season. And Wilson's.

In old days we always wanted the out and wide man (like Etherington back then) that could cross. Buckley is still available and he can do everything that Baldock can do and more. And better than Murphy in my book.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Sam. Face facts. It's not just me. Read the rest of the comments on this thread. Which is not a 'solution' thread. It's just a Baldock thread. Happy to keep pointing this out to you all night til I get bored or go out. Time for a word with yourself maybe?

Don't be such a patronising idiot. ..I'm off to have a few beers...happy new year...x

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's strange how different people see football isn't it. I'd argue that Hemed earlier in the season got a lot of his goals because of the room that was created for him by Baldock, who in actual fact, was making him look much better than he is. He's being found out without Baldock.

I'd also argue that with a better partner who holds the ball more effectively than Hemed does, who wins the ball regularly in the air and brings the midfield into play, Baldock would look even more effective.

Given a choice of who I'd be buying a strike partner for out of the strikers we own (not including Wilson), I'd be buying a better quality of striker to support Baldock (if indeed Zamora isn't able to play more regularly). Not that either of us is more right than the other.

Since he got injured, we've got 10 points in 8 games. Before his injury we had 34 points in 16 games... An interesting stat that, albeit one that doesn't tell the whole story by any stretch of the imagination.

Simple question: who's this mythical player all our rubbish lummox forwards are (and have been for the past two seasons) holding the ball up FOR? ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it hinges on whether Baldock is quick enough and can shoot. His number of shots on target is below what is required. And I don't think he fast enough to run off the shoulder of a defender as is required for his posiition. I think Manu looks more promising. He has got that extra yard of pace.

Baldock does run around a lot.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Simple question: who's this mythical player all our rubbish lummox forwards are (and have been for the past two seasons) holding the ball up FOR? ???

Firstly, at no stage did I call any of our forwards (in this thread at least) rubbish or lummox. I merely suggested that I had a different view to the previous poster who I quoted - I even stated that I recognised my opinion was no more right, or wrong, than his.

Secondly, if you're going to contribute, do so productively.

Lastly, seeing as football tactics appear to be a bit beyond you, I'll pose a question that may flummox your great mind - did you know that forwards can hold the ball up for players other than their strike partner?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lastly, seeing as football tactics appear to be a bit beyond you, I'll pose a question that may flummox your great mind - did you know that forwards can hold the ball up for players other than their strike partner?

Firstly, our forwards tend not to have a strike partner, even at the Amex. At least not for the first hour anyways. Secondly, there's nobody else to hold the ball up for, for the first hour anyways. Holding the ball up = easy day at the office for the opposition defence. Think most teams visiting the Amex suss that out within about ten minutes nowadays to be honest.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Twist.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really...look where he was played last season. **** me, Burke went because all he did was look at stats!

Whilst strikers obviously have a role beyond putting the ball in the net, the latter is their primary role. I always say, call me old fashioned, but I like strikers who score goals. Sam doesn't score enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here