Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce New England Manager

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Allardyce has made basket case clubs perform where the previous managers couldn't. Isn't that exactly what England need?

I think you are over egging CH if you think his record is better than Allardyces. That is not a criticism of CH, he is doing a fabulous job here but he hasn't really achieved anything in the Premier League except scraping staying up.

Interesting you mention Allardyce being great at helping basket case clubs perform better and then making the comparison with Chris Hughton.

There aren't too many bigger basket case clubs than Newcastle, but I imagine if you were to ask Newcastle fans which of those 2 did a better job for that club, you would get a unanimous answer and it won't be Senor Allardici.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
You name a squad of 23 - 25 players for the next world cup now.

A pretty futile exercise really given that if you chose a notional squad for Euro 2016 only 6 months ago, nobody would have picked Marcus Rashford because at that point he hadn't even made his Manchester United debut. You could quite easily get 3-4 players who emerge in the next 2 years who could be on the plane to Russia (assuming qualification) who are not on anybody's radar at the moment.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That's my point, the next generation shouldn't follow the previous policy of just giving caps to "headline" players, but develop a team, you are 100% correct the likes of Noble, Drinkwater etc nipping at your heels in training and creating a greater team ethic is precisely what we need.

With the exception of Milner, Rooney and Heaton, everybody in the England squad at Euro 2016 was under the age of 30. I think they had the 2nd lowest average squad age of any of the 24 teams at the tournament.

OK, the outcome wasn't successful, but that doesn't make the principle wrong of building the nucleus of the squad around players who could be the spine of a team for the next 6-8 years. Bringing back or bringing in journeyman players just because they hit a purple patch for a few games (Noble, Carroll, Defoe) would be a massive retrograde step.

Because of how it finished, Hodgson's time as England manager will probably be tainted. But if in a few years, those young players he gave wings to when others expected him to stick with the status quo go on to achieve something with the national side then he should take some credit for that, because there were a lot of managers who wouldn't made such a concerted effort to build a younger side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting you mention Allardyce being great at helping basket case clubs perform better and then making the comparison with Chris Hughton.

There aren't too many bigger basket case clubs than Newcastle, but I imagine if you were to ask Newcastle fans which of those 2 did a better job for that club, you would get a unanimous answer and it won't be Senor Allardici.

I am not here to run down CH, far from it but he did have a Premier League squad when he took Newcastle back into the Premier League.

I think it fair to say that Rafa stands a very good chance of emulating Highton this season, because he also has a Premier League squad in the Championship.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I am not here to run down CH, far from it but he did have a Premier League squad when he took Newcastle back into the Premier League.

I think it fair to say that Rafa stands a very good chance of emulating Highton this season, because he also has a Premier League squad in the Championship.

I would expect Benitez to return Newcastle at the first attempt, yes.

But I think people forget just how much of a low ebb Newcastle were at when Hughton took over, good players or not. It was far from a formality that he'd get them back up at the first go, but he did it and in some style. And Newcastle repaid their gratitude by firing him the following season when they were halfway up the table.

The point is that Allardyce contributed towards Newcastle's slide to the Championship in the first place and consequently Hughton is remembered far more fondly by Newcastle fans than Allardyce.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would expect Benitez to return Newcastle at the first attempt, yes.

But I think people forget just how much of a low ebb Newcastle were at when Hughton took over, good players or not. It was far from a formality that he'd get them back up at the first go, but he did it and in some style. And Newcastle repaid their gratitude by firing him the following season when they were halfway up the table.

The point is that Allardyce contributed towards Newcastle's slide to the Championship in the first place and consequently Hughton is remembered far more fondly by Newcastle fans than Allardyce.

Harsh, Allardyce was replaced by Keegan and then Shearer, who is pretty well guaranteed to get you relegated. Didn't help that the club was taken over by Ashley who was responsible for sacking CH unjustly.

Anyway back on topic I think Big Sam is a better choice than CH and that is undoubtably to our advantage!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Best man for the job and hugely respected by the league managers association which will help with selection.

Gets what he's given and does the best with it. What we are crying out for.

Those asking for a tippy tappy manager for the England team with the players we have are having a laugh.

Wenger would never go near it. He isn't stupid. He has a myopic purest view of football and knows damn well he'd fail with the players.

If Sam thinks the best way to beat teams like Spain and Germany on a day is over the top. So be it.

If he thinks the best way to beat Iceland is to out-pass them - so be it too.

Everyone complains about the way England played when we lose. No team in the world (except us) complains about the way we played when we won.

Get over it you bunch of Nick Hornby Influenced Guardian Podcast Sky Sports Repeat What Pundits Said On Match Of The Day On Monday To Your Work Makes As Insight Idiots.

#teambigsam

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think its worth bearing in mind that Allardyce was in charge of Newcastle for a grand total of 24 games, and left them in 11th place when they decided to bin him off. They were relegated a year later.

You can only applaud that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Best man for the job and hugely respected by the league managers association which will help with selection.

Gets what he's given and does the best with it. What we are crying out for.

Those asking for a tippy tappy manager for the England team with the players we have are having a laugh.

Wenger would never go near it. He isn't stupid. He has a myopic purest view of football and knows damn well he'd fail with the players.

If Sam thinks the best way to beat teams like Spain and Germany on a day is over the top. So be it.

If he thinks the best way to beat Iceland is to out-pass them - so be it too.

Everyone complains about the way England played when we lose. No team in the world (except us) complains about the way we played when we won.

Get over it you bunch of Nick Hornby Influenced Guardian Podcast Sky Sports Repeat What Pundits Said On Match Of The Day On Monday To Your Work Makes As Insight Idiots.

#teambigsam

I don't do thumbsups, but for your information, I stood up and applauded my laptop when I read that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't do thumbsups, but for your information, I stood up and applauded my laptop when I read that.

I also stood up and received the applause respectively with a solemn nod whilst making sure in my semi unclothed state in the abject heat of London that my genitals are unexposed.

I trust who received that information as a mark of respect and agreement.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I also stood up and received the applause respectively with a solemn nod whilst making sure in my semi unclothed state in the abject heat of London that my genitals are unexposed.

I trust who received that information as a mark of respect and agreement.

I pass on my thanks for the mental image, as I sit in my garden on the laptop, with a cool breeze gently caressing my undercrackers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I pass on my thanks for the mental image, as I sit in my garden on the laptop, with a cool breeze gently caressing my undercrackers.

How I wish for such a cool breeze and it's caressing effect.

Unfortunately living in the urban jungle I have no need for garden lighting since a London street lamp behind the fence illuminates my small garden 24 hours a day whilst a number of houses overlook my veg patch.

There are many benefits living in the city but I do envy the nudist freedom you obviously enjoy at this time of year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How I wish for such a cool breeze and it's caressing effect.

Unfortunately living in the urban jungle I have no need for garden lighting since a London street lamp behind the fence illuminates my small garden 24 hours a day whilst a number of houses overlook my veg patch.

There are many benefits living in the city but I do envy the nudist freedom you obviously enjoy at this time of year.

Sadly my garden is also overlooked. But I have recently bought a 3x2 meter parasol, which largely obscures my evening patio laptop activities from upper-story prying eyes. This leaves me largely free to knock one out over Georgina Burnett as she delivers the BBC South Today weather report. I can usually safely reach the vinegar strokes before we hit the national weather and whatever bloke, or disappointing mumsy biffer is presenting that. Failing that though, I still have a stock-image JPG of Sarah Palin bookmarked, that I can quickly flick to on another tab to get me over the line.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A pretty futile exercise really given that if you chose a notional squad for Euro 2016 only 6 months ago, nobody would have picked Marcus Rashford because at that point he hadn't even made his Manchester United debut. You could quite easily get 3-4 players who emerge in the next 2 years who could be on the plane to Russia (assuming qualification) who are not on anybody's radar at the moment.

Could argue rashford would have been better off going with the under 19s than the seniors.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just seen this. Could be a good move. Someone who can motivate and is plain talking.. who would have thought a 'dinosaur' like this would be our next manager. i just might start liking watching england again

Dinosaur is the right word. One of the old fossil ones.

Old fashioned and plain. And common sense is just that: common as muck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here