Votes: 27 51.9%
  • vinager then salt

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Vinager, THEN salt. The vinager acts like an adhesive for the salt.
Everyones a winner.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Both at the same time.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Easy 10, that's lunacy of the purest kind, and will only result in a surplus of salt in the upper layers of chippery. One should always apply the salt first, and then use the vinegar to disperse and infuse the saline goodness through the rest of the bag. This method is particularly pertinent to chips purchased for consumption as God intended, i.e. from an actual chippy to be consumed on the go, since any further applications of salt necessary will not be possible.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Solt, vinnygar to disstrabeaut the solt then sum moor sawlt.

Unnyon vinnygar if aveilible

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Just loads and loads of onion vinegar, can't stand salt it just tastes like salt and when you put it on food the food just tastes like there's salt on it,.................if you get what I mean.???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Always salt first, then the vinegar distributes the salt throught out the entire portion. Ask any Chippy, that's what they do.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I think it brings out the potatoiness of the chip...but if over salted can ruin them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
salt first , then a drizzle of onion vinegar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy 10, that's lunacy of the purest kind, and will only result in a surplus of salt in the upper layers of chippery. One should always apply the salt first, and then use the vinegar to disperse and infuse the saline goodness through the rest of the bag. This method is particularly pertinent to chips purchased for consumption as God intended, i.e. from an actual chippy to be consumed on the go, since any further applications of salt necessary will not be possible.

I could not disagree more wholeheartedly if you trussed me up in a public lavatory, smeared my buttocks in goose fat and shoved a ferret down my shorts.

The idea that the applied salt is somehow magically "transported" around all the chips on a cascading river of vinegar is as fanciful as it is preposterous. That is unless you actually douse your chips in so much vinegar that the popular potato-based snack / platefiller is left positively swimming in it, rendering the entire project a soggy, sodden MESS. Pouring the salt in first, without having firstly vinegered them, merely results in the bulk of the crystals falling directly to the bottom of the bag, missing the chips entirely.

No sir. The correct manner in which to apply the condiments in question is to pour a modest amount of vinegar on the chips, then shake the bag so as to "toss" the chips and disperse the vinegar. Repeat this process with the salt. The vinegar, already in place upon the chips, acts as a natural adhesive and will provide a balanced dispersion of the salt.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
I could not disagree more wholeheartedly if you trussed me up in a public lavatory, smeared my buttocks in goose fat and shoved a ferret down my shorts.

The idea that the applied salt is somehow magically "transported" around all the chips on a cascading river of vinegar is as fanciful as it is preposterous. That is unless you actually douse your chips in so much vinegar that the popular potato-based snack / platefiller is left positively swimming in it, rendering the entire project a soggy, sodden MESS. Pouring the salt in first, without having firstly vinegered them, merely results in the bulk of the crystals falling directly to the bottom of the bag, missing the chips entirely.

No sir. The correct manner in which to apply the condiments in question is to pour a modest amount of vinegar on the chips, then shake the bag so as to "toss" the chips and disperse the vinegar. Repeat this process with the salt. The vinegar, already in place upon the chips, acts as a natural adhesive and will provide a balanced dispersion of the salt.

I would posit that the adhesive yet comestible qualities that you are so fanatical about are more than adequately provided by the film of frying fat left on the surface of the chip. To suggest that grains of salt could plummet through any worthwhile bag of chips without striking any is at best deranged and at worst suggests a world-view so detached from reality as to be a menace to decent people.

If you insist on turning this into the kind of dispute that can only truly be brought to a satisfactory resolution by means of a drunken brawl in a pub carpark I ask you to name your venue sir.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Salt only.

I asked on SCR with Richard Lindfield a couple of years ago why and where does the idea of Salt & Vinegar on chips come from. Nobody came up witha definitive answer. My mother is 89 and she says that as a child she put it on chips but why you dont add vinegar to any other form of potatoes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would posit that the adhesive yet comestible qualities that you are so fanatical about are more than adequately provided by the film of frying fat left on the surface of the chip. To suggest that grains of salt could plummet through any worthwhile bag of chips without striking any is at best deranged and at worst suggests a world-view so detached from reality as to be a menace to decent people.

If you insist on turning this into the kind of dispute that can only truly be brought to a satisfactory resolution by means of a drunken brawl in a pub carpark I ask you to name your venue sir.

My reality remains anchored to the Seabed of Truth, and is firmly manacled by a wrought iron chain to the hull of the good ship FACT.

Perhaps the chip or chips to which you alude and are familiar with are still drenched and dripping in frying fat by the time they arrive in your paper vessel for consumption. In which case, I will concede that a proportion of salt will inevitably become embroiled upon the greasy surface. However, thanks be to the Almighty, not ALL chips are as laden with fat and grease as those which you are conjuring within my minds eye. I would refer you to the drier and to my mind infinately preferable variety of chip, that of which is almost bereft of surface stickiness caused by excessive oils and fat. Salt will not so easily stick to these, I might venture.

An added bonus to my superior method. Salt which has been drenched with vinegar rapidly loses it's crunchy quality. Salt which sits ATOP vinegar retains that element of crunchiness, which I find pleasing to the palate.
No further questions.

As for the venue - I shall be suffficiently drunk by 2.30 tomorrow, and hereby nominate The Griffin car park, Brentford. I must warn you now though - I am bringing my dad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
at first i thought, what the f*** does it matter and would have defied anyone to care or notice a difference. how wrong i was, my eyes have been opened. however, the Crackpipe does raise an important point about salt being trapped at the top, so i will insist on salt then vinegar from now on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports