Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Salt and Jordan to leave Sussex... and now Ben Brown

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You’d have to fancy a decent village team giving the current squad a run for their money. Simply looks nothing like a top level sports squad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at Michael Yardy's testimonial at the Amex and watched as Matt Prior went through a set of double doors, followed by Ben Brown flicking the Vs behind his back. Who knows what passes for changing room bants, but didn't look that friendly to me.

Interesting. May throw some light on his reputation at Sussex. Prior claims he's persona non grata at the club - maybe he is.

Among all the departures however, we should congratulate Fignon's Ponytail - his lad has just been taken on as one of the nine Academy players for next year. Who knows: he may well have made his debut by this time next year.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Interesting. May throw some light on his reputation at Sussex. Prior claims he's persona non grata at the club - maybe he is.

Among all the departures however, we should congratulate Fignon's Ponytail - his lad has just been taken on as one of the nine Academy players for next year. Who knows: he may well have made his debut by this time next year.

He also got up and made a very strange speech that day, when he used the word "mental" several times in the context of his cricketing anecdotes. I am not for a minute suggesting that mental should be locked away in the woke cupboard, but in the context of giving a speech in praise of a colleague who had gone public with his issues around depression, it did seem a little thoughtless.

My final Prior gripe was I stopped following him on twitter after one too many tweets to say thanks for free gear. I would rather remember him for his fantastic cricketing performances than sit back and watch him follow Roger Daltrey down the path to old miser.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would the last man standing please switch off the lights before he leaves.

So sad to see all that talent walk away from the County Ground almost overnight.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Thanks Max, thats much appreciated....we are immensely proud. A lot of hard work ahead undoubtedly, but a challenge Frankie is looking forward to.

I have to say though - having been around the set up, & club in general the last four years, I've never got anything but a positive outlook on things - from coaches, to directors, and the players themselves. Obviously Im not privy to anything behind the scenes, & am not close enough to the people that matter to know whats really going on...but then NONE of us are. It is definitely a time of change and development for the club, but its really disheartening reading the very strong negativity displayed on this board towards Sussex....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks Max, thats much appreciated....we are immensely proud. A lot of hard work ahead undoubtedly, but a challenge Frankie is looking forward to.

I have to say though - having been around the set up, & club in general the last four years, I've never got anything but a positive outlook on things - from coaches, to directors, and the players themselves. Obviously Im not privy to anything behind the scenes, & am not close enough to the people that matter to know whats really going on...but then NONE of us are. It is definitely a time of change and development for the club, but its really disheartening reading the very strong negativity displayed on this board towards Sussex....

Firstly, big congratulations to your son and quite rightly you are extremely proud. I'm sure you helped him immensely! I hope he goes on to become a huge star before (negativity) he moves on to somewhere like Surrey.

With regard to the negativity, none of us want to be negative, none of us want to moan, but as fans (and outsiders) it is heartbreaking to see the County we all love being apparently mis-managed and heading toward Minor County status. I appreciate your perspective is different.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Firstly, big congratulations to your son and quite rightly you are extremely proud. I'm sure you helped him immensely! I hope he goes on to become a huge star before (negativity) he moves on to somewhere like Surrey.

With regard to the negativity, none of us want to be negative, none of us want to moan, but as fans (and outsiders) it is heartbreaking to see the County we all love being apparently mis-managed and heading toward Minor County status. I appreciate your perspective is different.

Well, Ive been a taxi driver for him for a while...and thats about it - I cant stand cricket!! :lol:

I get that mate - its a fans right to be pissed off at the teams they follow (we see it often enough with the Albion & the Browns lol!) but I guess it just hits home a little bit more when one of your own kids could well be part of that in the very near future.

Just remind me in the next couple of seasons though, that if Sussex do badly in a game, to NOT go onto the match thread here - especially if my lad has played! :wink::lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Well said on both accounts.

As a supporter I want to see a competitive team, be entertained, see some highs and most importantly not be treated like a mug.

Well done to junior. I hope he has a long and successful career WITH Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'll endorse what FP has said. I'm only on the periphery of what the club's doing but in the years that I've been coaching I've seen a change in the way that Sussex are operating. There's much more communication with the clubs than there has been, a greater willingness to listen to criticism and much more of an effort to identify players at an earlier stage ... and work with them.

There's a lot more that could be done - the proliferation of players from independent schools remains an issue, but this is one that's pretty much shared with every county. Sussex are trying to address this and the Aldridge Academy is a big factor here: we have one of the best cricketing state schools in the country on our doorstep and we're going to see a lot more players emerge from there.

I was disappointed with Ben Brown leaving as he was Sussex through and through but I think Sussex is generally on the right path: Orr, Ibrahim, Carson and Atkins are some of the best prospects I've seen for years. I think we probably need one more senior player to help the kids along but I see no reason to be unduly negative about Sussex right now. In a way, they're mirroring the Albion - reducing the age of the team and helping the kids along. I'm looking forward to next season.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
There's a lot more that could be done - the proliferation of players from independent schools remains an issue, but this is one that's pretty much shared with every county. Sussex are trying to address this and the Aldridge Academy is a big factor here: we have one of the best cricketing state schools in the country on our doorstep and we're going to see a lot more players emerge from there.

Frankie has just turned down a full scholarship with Brighton College, and also approaches from Ardingly, Hurst, and Bedes, to stay at the Aldridge Academy for VIth form. The facilities, the coaching, and the links with Sussex are all top notch.
Only yesterday Mike Yardy told him it was the best decision staying there as the links will only get stronger. Its definitely an Academy on the upward trajectory - all thanks to the headmaster who is a huge cricket fan, Alexia Walker the cricket director, Georgia Adams, Ash Wright, & Phil Hudson (Sussex Pathway Director) who are all there regularly coaching. In the last 2 years, the intake for the VIth form and junior programme has increased massively (Frankie and his 2 mates were all there were for the first Jnr intake)...I really couldn't fault it - and it will only get better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Frankie has just turned down a full scholarship with Brighton College, and also approaches from Ardingly, Hurst, and Bedes, to stay at the Aldridge Academy for VIth form. The facilities, the coaching, and the links with Sussex are all top notch.

Good for him. And I agree that he's in the best place, it's a fantastic facility for the county to have.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Only yesterday Mike Yardy told him it was the best decision staying there as the links will only get stronger. Its definitely an Academy on the upward trajectory - all thanks to the headmaster who is a huge cricket fan, Alexia Walker the cricket director, Georgia Adams, Ash Wright, & Phil Hudson (Sussex Pathway Director) who are all there regularly coaching. In the last 2 years, the intake for the VIth form and junior programme has increased massively (Frankie and his 2 mates were all there were for the first Jnr intake)...I really couldn't fault it - and it will only get better.
This is all excellent to hear. University of Brighton sports science department moving to Falmer in 2024 will provide a further benefit to BACA in terms of partnerships and access to equipment/expertise.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Eternal optimism is essential as a Sussex CCC supporter! :lolol:

The main reason is that, for the first time for 16 years, I'm getting a membership. I couldn't go when the kids were growing up but now Mrs G and I can look forward to a few days at the cricket.

But there's room for optimism too. Let's look at a potential team for the opening game

Haines
Orr
Rizwan
Head
Clark/Coles/Ward
Ibrahim
Hudson-Prentice
Garton
Archer
Robinson
Carson

That's four test match players, one England A player and three former or current (one of whom happened to be the top scorer in English cricket last year) England U19 players. And if Robbo or Archer aren't allowed to play (unlikely in Archer's case - they'll want to see him fit), we can bring in Finn or Atkins.

It's really not too shabby

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Great that a couple on here very positive about Sussex cricket. Well I am one who despite now having time has given up membership. I went to about 4 days of championship cricket and each time was like watching a good club side. Enough is enough. Not worried about winning but will only pay to see a side that can compete
On youngster front it will be good to see non public school boys come through and looks like Acadamy is doing well. I watched some of a Sussex Junior Final which Brighton team won and was told 8 of winning team were from Blatchington Mill school

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here