Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
2007 was a good year...

equalisersales.gif

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Why bugger up your music with additional (often poorly contrived) tone controls.

Why bugger up your music with additional (often poorly contrived) tone controls.

Indeed - although the ability to tweak bass levels if you regularly (as I do) switch between classical and other music is useful. A matching treble control is thus required, but nothing else - and certainly no spangly lights or other display linked to tone controls.

If an amp has anything beyond a bass and treble level switch, it's shit and should be avoided.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is mine. Sorry about the size.

BlackMelodyDiamondBlue.JPG

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Couldn't agree more with cheeseroll, mine only has a volume control and looks something like this (but in silver):

Mission_Cyrus_7__5734376.jpg

Someone, who knew a fair bit about hi-fi, advised me that the more you put between the source of sound (record/cd/radio signal) and your ear, in the way of electrical wizardry, the more chance for the sound to be corrupted...I have never seen the need to add a graphic equaliser and prefer to trust the skills of whoever mixed the track to get it right.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Ah, but does it go all the way to eleven?

I work for company that makes various knobs used in audio industry, amplifiers, mixing desks etc.... During a sales meeting I suggested making a knob that went up to 11, nobody else got the joke :dunce:
I still think we'd sell them though!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Thats PROPER loverly ..

Yep, holds 80 CDs and made by an English Company, Sound Leisure in Leeds. Better purchase than modern Wurlitzer's and Rock Ola's.

BTW here is my amplifier that also glows

ear861.jpg

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
But graphic equalisers must have some use?
They usually have great lights on them.

But graphic equalisers must have some use?

No. No they don't.

I still argue for bass control for those of us without the money to have two set-ups but who enjoy classical music as well as modern music. No matter how excellent the mix, very few modern amplifiers are set up to do classical music justice. They just rumble too much. Those that are good for classical have absolutely no power (in terms of sound) in them for modern music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports