Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saints heading south very fast

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Leeds are 10th, with 11 wins already.

Preseason, a load of NSC’ers predicted their immediate relegation. Got to hand it to Bielsa and their recruitment team, to be virtually guaranteed EPL football next season by February, is some doing.

Bielsa is just brilliant. To do what he’s done with that squad of players is oustanding. And what a signing Raphinha has been!

On topic, I really hope this Southampton run continues! They look awful at the moment.

barmyarmy

Banned
Feb 6, 2021
S’ton have gone to shit for sure. They still are 4points ahead of us and I believe they have a stronger squad. They are indeed Sh*t but I can see them getting a few more wins. They can’t keep being that shit it has to turn at some point. It’s Us, Fulham are Newcastle end of.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
that first half last night southampton looked alright and certainly not a team on a dire run of form. had their goal stood perhaps the second half capitulation may not have occured. hasenhüttl spoke like a broken man at full time, i know he is an overly emotional wombat but if i was a saints fan i'd be seriously worried about how he is going to rally us.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Leeds are 10th, with 11 wins already.

Preseason, a load of NSC’ers predicted their immediate relegation. Got to hand it to Bielsa and their recruitment team, to be virtually guaranteed EPL football next season by February, is some doing.

Undoubtedly Leeds are doing well, but a look at last season's table after 25 matches had Sheff Utd in 5th.

Bielsaball is just a modern day version of what Kevin Keagan was doing 25 years ago, great to watch, doomed to win bugger all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
S’ton have gone to shit for sure. They still are 4points ahead of us and I believe they have a stronger squad. They are indeed Sh*t but I can see them getting a few more wins. They can’t keep being that shit it has to turn at some point. It’s Us, Fulham are Newcastle end of.
Why have you ruled out Burnley and not us, a team who've lost once in 7 games and even then it was an absurd result?

Apart from anything else, it's bollocks. Southampton and Palace are nowhere near safe yet.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Love the consistency of NSC. This thread talks about Southampton's terrible form in the past 9 games, during which we've caught them up by 9 points, but somehow there's no chance we can make up the remaining 4 points in 13 games. Fulham however, over whom we've actually increased our lead from 2 points to 4 points despite them playing 10 games to our 9, are chasing us down.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Undoubtedly Leeds are doing well, but a look at last season's table after 25 matches had Sheff Utd in 5th.

Bielsaball is just a modern day version of what Kevin Keagan was doing 25 years ago, great to watch, doomed to win bugger all.

I agree, Leeds just concede too many.

However, Biesla really worked Southampton out in the second half. Balls in behind destroyed them with their high press. EPL managers and tacticians will be all over this.

I can’t wait for the ides of March now, Potter’s sorcery will surely crack Hassel-nut!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Southampton have had a ridiculous run of injuries and suspensions. Their players will return sadly, as will their form but to suggest that we’re falling quicker than them after one defeat in seven :ffsparr:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Southampton have had a ridiculous run of injuries and suspensions. Their players will return sadly, as will their form but to suggest that we’re falling quicker than them after one defeat in seven :ffsparr:

I dont think some people are watching the games or analysing the team. During matches they spend the full 90 minutes watching the scoreboard and in between the matches they spend all the time watching the table. Its all black or white. Football? Not interesting. Scoreboards? All that matters in life.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Why have you ruled out Burnley and not us, a team who've lost once in 7 games and even then it was an absurd result?

Apart from anything else, it's bollocks. Southampton and Palace are nowhere near safe yet.

Southampton feel a bit like Bournemouth or even Watford in their relegations. Seemingly good enough to stay up, but runs of form they just couldn't get out of.

Bizarre how some of our fans view us. If you do a table from 01 Jan, we are 7th; P9 W3 D4 L2 pts13. In that same table Saints are bottom on 4 pts from 9 matches, Newcastle 18th 6pts. Fulham who are also supposedly going to overhaul 4 pts and a worse GD have 11pts from 10 games.

Anything can happen, but the pessimism and complaints of suffering do seem a bit self indulgent.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Southampton are probably just one or two games away from survival, they should be fine.

I feel that Newcastle are the only team who could drop in to the bottom three although I think Fulham's decent run will come to an end and the bottom three now will be the bottom three at the end of the season.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Anymore than anyone else? We've had Lamptey, Welbeck, Lallana, Connolly, Webster, March - all unavailable for games during 2021 so far. They've had Walcott, Walker-Peters, Ings, Diallo at different points. Not sure why that is 'ridiculous' compared to us? Ings only missed a few games didn't he?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anymore than anyone else? We've had Lamptey, Welbeck, Lallana, Connolly, Webster - all unavailable during 2021 so far. They've had Walcott, Walker-Peters, Ings, Diallo at different points. Not sure why that is 'ridiculous' compared to us? Ings only missed a few games didn't he?

Dont forget Solly, he is missed.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Anymore than anyone else? We've had Lamptey, Welbeck, Lallana, Connolly, Webster - all unavailable for games during 2021 so far. They've had Walcott, Walker-Peters, Ings, Diallo at different points. Not sure why that is 'ridiculous' compared to us? Ings only missed a few games didn't he?

Look at the team they fielded against United

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Look at the team they fielded against United

All teams have been rotating, they still started with 8 or so regular starters against MU. Not sure what your point is? I’m not saying they haven’t had injuries or suspensions, I’m saying most teams have and are having to deal with it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Anymore than anyone else? We've had Lamptey, Welbeck, Lallana, Connolly, Webster, March - all unavailable for games during 2021 so far. They've had Walcott, Walker-Peters, Ings, Diallo at different points. Not sure why that is 'ridiculous' compared to us? Ings only missed a few games didn't he?

Exactly, every team in the league is going to suffer badly at some point this season. The only match they had it really bad was the United 9.0 game.

As I said when they were in the middle of their good run, their squad is actually very average and they were massively over achieving. They have a good manager who was getting the absolute most out of the players at that time and they have a top striker in Ings but apart from that, they are very average. They are very reliant on a system and press, and what the injuries and suspensions have done is break up a settled side that were working to a very strict, organised plan. Similar to Wolves, they also don't have great squad depth so the players coming in are nowhere the standard of the ones they were replacing and they weren't as well drilled in that system as the first 11.

It is also interesting, and probably predictable, that sides who rely massively on the press and intensity - Liverpool, Southampton, Villa - have started to struggle recently as this tough season has gone on. Again, credit to Bielsa for continuing to get results at Leeds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here