Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
1. Supporters would reasonably expect to pay less to stand than to sit.

2. More supporters could be accommodated, thus offsetting the reduced ticket prices.

3. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to increase capacity at the moment because of transport issues.

4. With lower ticket prices but no more tickets able to be sold, the club would lose money if safe standing was introduced.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not entirely correct as I thought I read in Germany that football related violence has been on the increase!

You most likely did. A quick google search turns this article up...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ling-to-contain-growing-violence-8329020.html

What is interesting is the mention of "standing tribunes".

What is also interesting is that German football is starting to reach a period of economic growth and media success. Could there be a link between the new successful German football and a rise in the desire of some of those attending matches to strike out. Standing is not new after all.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not true.Barber has publicly told me that there is capacity still at Falmer for more infilling,the club would not be planning these extra seats if transport issues would prevent planning permission.

I didn't realise this. I was told that capacity can't be increased at the moment so one of us is being misled. Me I expect.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm all for safe standing. I think it could happen again eventually, although anyone that received a 'warm leg' from a discarded tea cup on an absolutely packed terrace will have bad flashbacks. Animals. :down:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I didn't realise this. I was told that capacity can't be increased at the moment so one of us is being misled. Me I expect.

There will be infilling if demand remains high but capacity is limited by the design,no NSU or SSU possible.That might be the capacity limit to which you refer.

Standing of course could increase the capacity.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Just listening to 5live. Peterborough have just won the 606 award for best away day in the country.

Interesting to hear the reason they gave was the terrace. That got a loud cheer from the Scouse audience.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The entire North Stand stood all the way through the play-off semi home leg v Palace without any drama llamas. Maybe use that as a case study in support of safe standing?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
The entire North Stand stood all the way through the play-off semi home leg v Palace without any drama llamas. Maybe use that as a case study in support of safe standing?

This. Any argument against standing is weakening.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1. Supporters would reasonably expect to pay less to stand than to sit.

2. More supporters could be accommodated, thus offsetting the reduced ticket prices.

3. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to increase capacity at the moment because of transport issues.

4. With lower ticket prices but no more tickets able to be sold, the club would lose money if safe standing was introduced.

It might persuade the club if there was a financial benefit, whereby people in safe standing area paid more (to cover cost of refitting seats).

el punal

On the basis that safe standing was allowed at the Amex it would be interesting to see how much the ground capacity would increase.

If, for example, the North Stand (not NE or NW corners) was designated as a standing area I would estimate that it would be able to take up to to 6,000 fans. This is based on the fact that the number of seats is 2,600 (approx) x 2. i.e. 2 people standing take up the same room as one seat.

From that you could surmise that the stadium capacity would then increase to around 34,000. But, would the transport infrastructure be able to cope? Oh well, we wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here