Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing – YES – Poster for Sat 15 Oct v Preston. Show your support.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That is your perogative as it is all about opinions and just as an extra I do not believe beer should be available on the concourses only cold soft drinks and hot drinks but that is another point.

:fishing:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Laws change and I retired in 2001 some 15 years ago and my personal licence ran out in 2003 so I have no need to be up on the latest law changes but having said that I have never read anything about that law being changed. It may well have been.

That's strange. The new act that bought in personal licences only passed in 2003. I took grandfather rights and was issued my first one in 2005 - Up until then we still had to have our names above the door ???

Oh and you wouldn't of known being retired an all, but Personal licences now don't run out - So when you get one, it's yours unless you do something stupid enough to get it taken away :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This an incredibly good point. Surely every red-blooded male here, if they were honest, would admit how much calmer they are when seated. Personally, I struggle to control my rage whilst standing to make a cup a at the office. Standing = RAGE.

Your sarcasm is noted but surely you agree that what is being suggested by BG is not that everyone that stands will want to fight but that it could attract a minority that do, just as it was in the 70s and 80s when the vast majority of terrace fans weren't interested in a ruck.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
:facepalm: I'm not referring to one stand in one stadium. If the law changed to allow standing then clubs could decide to allow fans to stand in certain areas without the need to alter the facilities. Has anyone been hurt at any stadium where standing, particularly in away sections is tolerated despite the law?

What about the Cardiff fan at Millwall

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of interest, why don't they just change the law and then allow those in the rear 10 rows of the northstand to officially stand in front of their seats? No need for conversion of anything. People have been doing it for about 5 years anyway with no apparent injuries.

Because standing in seated areas IS unsafe. Not generally MASSIVELY unsafe, granted, but unsafe nonetheless. Anyone who has regularly stood at an away ground, must surely have seen a few occasions of people falling over the seats during goal celebrations, and landing on the people in front?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
That's strange. The new act that bought in personal licences only passed in 2003. I took grandfather rights and was issued my first one in 2005 - Up until then we still had to have our names above the door ???

Oh and you wouldn't of known being retired an all, but Personal licences now don't run out - So when you get one, it's yours unless you do something stupid enough to get it taken away :thumbsup:

Actually, when the new Licensing Act came in - if you had a personal licence up until 2005, it still had to be renewed, even if it had only been issued recently. You didn't get it renewed automatically, you had to apply for it. So he's right, it would have run out.

But the central point is, he doesn't know anything about the 'new' licensing laws, but it won't stop him commenting. So the notion of 'I haven't heard anything...' really means 'I don't know what the laws are...'.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Your sarcasm is noted but surely you agree that what is being suggested by BG is not that everyone that stands will want to fight but that it could attract a minority that do, just as it was in the 70s and 80s when the vast majority of terrace fans weren't interested in a ruck.

A minority might well want to fight no matter what their physical position is while watching a match.

However, unbeknownst to Ben's Grandad, society has moved on, and fights are extremely rare - especially within British stadia. Rucks, should they happen, will be away from the grounds.

But everyone pretty much knows that. Except you know who.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Be careful out there people

3774200_o.gif

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
...not that everyone that stands will want to fight, but it could attract a minority that do

I know what you are saying, but I am far from convinced that people that want to fight will come just because there is standing. Do stadiums that still have standing have more fighting?

It's not for me to be honest, what with wanting to drag the boy along, but I'm all for options being available.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We wouldn't even NEED this sanitised "Safe Standing" scheme. Standing at football has ALWAYS been safe - provided the number of fans being let into any given area of the stadium is properly controlled. In this day and age of all-ticket games and no fences, I think we could quite easily go back to something like the terraces of old without an issue. THOUSANDS of fans still watch from terraces in the lower leagues week in, week out perfectly safely, in much older and less well appointed stadiums than those in the PL / Championship. Its a total nonsense that terraces are deemed too dangerous just because we're in a higher division, with larger crowds.

Massive crowds go to concerts and gigs without all having to sit down. If numbers are properly controlled through ticketing then there is no safety issue whatsoever. Safe standing is a compromise that isn't even needed in this day and age, we should just have areas of the ground set aside as terracing. There's no logical reason why this could not happen.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We wouldn't even NEED this sanitised "Safe Standing" scheme. Standing at football has ALWAYS been safe - provided the number of fans being let into any given area of the stadium is properly controlled. In this day and age of all-ticket games and no fences, I think we could quite easily go back to something like the terraces of old without an issue. THOUSANDS of fans still watch from terraces in the lower leagues week in, week out perfectly safely, in much older and less well appointed stadiums than those in the PL / Championship. Its a total nonsense that terraces are deemed too dangerous just because we're in a higher division, with larger crowds.

Massive crowds go to concerts and gigs without all having to sit down. If numbers are properly controlled through ticketing then there is no safety issue whatsoever. Safe standing is a compromise that isn't even needed in this day and age, we should just have areas of the ground set aside as terracing. There's no logical reason why this could not happen.

I see what you've done there. Applied logic and rationale....it'll never happen! :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see what you've done there. Applied logic and rationale....it'll never happen! :)

Nope, unfortunately not.

Safe standing is such a sanitised method that I honestly don’t see the point of it. There’s still a seat there, you’re still going to be allocated a “spot” – I can’t see that the club would let you wander into the safe standing area of the ground and take up any position you like. They still like to know who’s where, so you’ll have a ticket with a seat number on it. You’ll all still be stood in rows. The only difference is you’ll have a rail in front of you to lean on. And a crappier fold-down seat behind you to sit on at half time.

If I’m ever asked to vote on it then of course I’ll vote in favour, because at least it still offers a choice, and it doesn’t do any harm. But I think anyone thinking safe standing will be anything LIKE a return to the good old days of terracing is going to be very, very underwhelmed if it ever actually comes in.

Bet it won’t be cheaper either.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Bens Grandad really has owned this thread. Fair play for a sensational amount of nonsense that is only bettered by other posters seemingly getting genuinely worked up about what are quite clearly the ramblings of a madman. Amazing work

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I do not believe that supporters have to stand to enjoy the match in the same way that I dont think they need alcohol. I may well have missed it being changed but I am sure that it is still an offense to attend a sports venue having consumed alcohol and the law has never been recinded.
This is a total wind up. No one is this much of a bell end.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope, unfortunately not.

Safe standing is such a sanitised method that I honestly don’t see the point of it. There’s still a seat there, you’re still going to be allocated a “spot” – I can’t see that the club would let you wander into the safe standing area of the ground and take up any position you like. They still like to know who’s where, so you’ll have a ticket with a seat number on it. You’ll all still be stood in rows. The only difference is you’ll have a rail in front of you to lean on. And a crappier fold-down seat behind you to sit on at half time.

If I’m ever asked to vote on it then of course I’ll vote in favour, because at least it still offers a choice, and it doesn’t do any harm. But I think anyone thinking safe standing will be anything LIKE a return to the good old days of terracing is going to be very, very underwhelmed if it ever actually comes in.

Bet it won’t be cheaper either.

Totally agree. The Albion Roar discussed this and made the same points last week. After safe standing we need a campaign for just standing. That's what we all really want and mean. Making it safe is a given. We don't market seating as safe seats!

But it'll never happen. Those days are gone, I'm just glad for the memories 'cause today's 'yoof' will never experience the enormous fun, camaraderie and energy of open terraces where you could stand where and with whom you wanted to. Least not here in the UK. At football.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Totally agree. The Albion Roar discussed this and made the same points last week. After safe standing we need a campaign for just standing. That's what we all really want and mean. Making it safe is a given. We don't market seating as safe seats!

But it'll never happen. Those days are gone, I'm just glad for the memories 'cause today's 'yoof' will never experience the enormous fun, camaraderie and energy of open terraces where you could stand where and with whom you wanted to. Least not here in the UK. At football.

Unless you come to a REMF game at the Dripping Pan. Fahsands of you, that is...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Unless you come to a REMF game at the Dripping Pan. Fahsands of you, that is...

Sorry forgot about the Dripping Pan reference! Here they come, black as hell and thick as grass!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here