Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing trial approved from January...

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
On Saturday saw a little kid aged about nine or ten just in front of me in the North being ordered to sit down by stewards. Despite the little kid being about three feet tall and being stood on his seat to see the game due to the big bloke in the seat in front blocking out his entire view of the game that somebody presumably paid for the little guy to see.

Folks stand at corners and free kicks and moments of serious pressure anyways. If you feel the need to stay standing for action taking place at the other end of the ground then, face it, you're probably a bit of a tvvat. It's not 1980 anymore.

Safe standing in the 21st century just seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that largely doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe just go and watch Lewes? :shrug:

Which is exactly why I moved my sons and my ST to the West Upper as he couldn’t see anything at all in the north. It was an error on my part which the club were very accommodating with the move.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I could start a whole new thread about the repeal of this insane ruling. The average fan with a pocketful of loose change could do infinite more damage with a fifty pence piece or a pound coin, than the top off a soft drink bottle, should he be inclined to throw it.

For the second game running, having bought a bottle of Coke Zero from a WSL kiosk, and putting the bottle down by my seat, l then proceeded to kick it over spilling the sticky contents everywhere.

I'm not exactly Paul Barber's greatest fan at the moment.

Agree, I could do more damage with an elastic band and an official club program if I wanted to.

It’s annoying not having the lid to a bottle of water that I’ve paid a premium for.

Noticed the delays in the concourse at half time were taken up with the staff administrating (trying their best) hot drinks. Are we allowed to tax these back to the seats? Shirley boiling water loaded with sugar is more of a danger?!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Well you are right in as much as with me being a 65 year old STH in the West Upper safe stganding wouldn't appeal to me. But as l see it, with standing pretty much permitted in the North Stand anyway, what's the great difference to what you have now?

All that they seem to be supplying you with, (looking at that pic taken at Anfield earlier in the thread), is a railing to lean on. The seat is still in place just as it always used to be.. Not that it will be used much of course!

One thing that it certainly will never resemble, is a return to standing on the terraces akin to the good old days of the 1970's/80's.
I'm the opposite as a 64 year old in the North Stand I love standing up.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can sit down.
I can stand up.

I just can't go from one to the other very quickly. :lol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That survey was a badly worded load of shit that was only ever intended to have one outcome..

I seem to recall it wasn't just an A/B type question "Are you in favour of safe standing?" but was more "There are costs associated with converting seats to safe standing; are you prepared to pay more for a safe standing seat?" (Not actual wording but that sort of thing.) Obviously most people aren't going to want to pay more just to stand up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
People like to stand at football, calling people tvvats for doing so makes you look quite the bell tip to be honest.

I think you meant 'some people like to stand at football. Self evidently, at the Amex, 000's don't. Regardless, when the guy in front of me in West Lower stands up at the slightest opportunity, the sky darkens and and I can't see whether I stand or sit. I've missed a couple of goals already this season due to his inability to wait till the ball goes in the net before he stands up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I could start a whole new thread about the repeal of this insane ruling. The average fan with a pocketful of loose change could do infinite more damage with a fifty pence piece or a pound coin, than the top off a soft drink bottle, should he be inclined to throw it.

For the second game running, having bought a bottle of Coke Zero from a WSL kiosk, and putting the bottle down by my seat, l then proceeded to kick it over spilling the sticky contents everywhere.

May I helpfully suggest that you buy a Coke Zero in the ensuing weeks before the next home match, glug it down and save the top to surreptitiously use on your topless bottle at the Amex?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
May I helpfully suggest that you buy a Coke Zero in the ensuing weeks before the next home match, glug it down and save the top to surreptitiously use on your topless bottle at the Amex?

Exactly my plan for the next homegame against Dirty Leeds. I drink a ridiculous amount of Coke Zero with my stupidly sweet tooth, and save the bottle tops to take out to Kefalonia with me each year for a recycling plant they have out there.

With foreign travel all but banned for the past couple of years, l have thousands of the things bunging up my kitchen cupboards. Will put one into my coat pocket whilst l remember.

A rare moment of Henfield and Cowfold thinking alike . . . just don't tell DJ Nobo. :cheers:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I drink a ridiculous amount of Coke Zero with my stupidly sweet tooth, and save the bottle tops to take out to Kefalonia with me each year for a recycling plant they have out there.

[MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION] has a second account. Who knew?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Exactly my plan for the next homegame against Dirty Leeds. I drink a ridiculous amount of Coke Zero with my stupidly sweet tooth, and save the bottle tops to take out to Kefalonia with me each year for a recycling plant they have out there.

With foreign travel all but banned for the past couple of years, l have thousands of the things bunging up my kitchen cupboards. Will put one into my coat pocket whilst l remember.

A rare moment of Henfield and Cowfold thinking alike . . . just don't tell DJ Nobo. :cheers:

Be careful if you do:
Screenshot 2021-11-08 161634.png

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1275195/supporters-reminded-on-prohibited-items

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
On Saturday saw a little kid aged about nine or ten just in front of me in the North being ordered to sit down by stewards. Despite the little kid being about three feet tall and being stood on his seat to see the game due to the big bloke in the seat in front blocking out his entire view of the game that somebody presumably paid for the little guy to see.

Folks stand at corners and free kicks and moments of serious pressure anyways. If you feel the need to stay standing for action taking place at the other end of the ground then, face it, you're probably a bit of a tvvat. It's not 1980 anymore.

Safe standing in the 21st century just seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that largely doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe just go and watch Lewes? :shrug:

People like to stand at football, calling people tvvats for doing so makes you look quite the bell tip to be honest.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The Amex has been running standing areas since it opened- much of the North Stand and the entire away section has generally been standing at most games. It causes no major problems so the club have the evidence already.

The advantage of the railed ‘safe standing areas’ is that it formally designates an area / areas which are definitely standing for the whole game. This then gives the fans a choice- choose to buy a spot in the standing area and you commit to stand for the whole game (or season if a season ticket). If you want to sit - choose a seat elsewhere.

The outcome is people who want to stand don’t piss off people who want to sit. Everyone wins and in that regard it’s a no brainier.

The downside is the rails etc cost money to install. And to some extent the club currently has the best of both worlds- by (unofficially) allowing (some) fans to stand who want to in the North and South, and spending no money on rail installations. [emoji2369]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Solutionism is a big thing these days. A minor event anywhere, even if it happens once in a million times, causes rule/law/security changes. There's examples all over society.

Obsession with safety and organisation, creating a dull and strange society.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The Amex has been running standing areas since it opened- much of the North Stand and the entire away section has generally been standing at most games. It causes no major problems so the club have the evidence already.

The advantage of the railed ‘safe standing areas’ is that it formally designates an area / areas which are definitely standing for the whole game. This then gives the fans a choice- choose to buy a spot in the standing area and you commit to stand for the whole game (or season if a season ticket). If you want to sit - choose a seat elsewhere.

The outcome is people who want to stand don’t piss off people who want to sit. Everyone wins and in that regard it’s a no brainier.

The downside is the rails etc cost money to install. And to some extent the club currently has the best of both worlds- by (unofficially) allowing (some) fans to stand who want to in the North and South, and spending no money on rail installations. [emoji2369]
They could raise the money by putting Sky Sports back on in the concourses before the game therefore getting more revenue which will fund the rails
It's not rocket science

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
That survey was a badly worded load of shit that was only ever intended to have one outcome.

If you ask an older fan who quietly sits in the east upper whether they'd like to stand of course they're going to say no. Rather than sending the survey out to all fans I suspect if you'd asked the same question just to STH in the North Stand (where the majority of people stand already) you'd have had a much different response but thats not what Barber wanted to hear.

Absolutely this. That survey of Barber's was a crock of s**t

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Maybe it’s my age but I hate standing and will always choose sitting down .,

Well of course, just don't buy a ticket for a safe standing zone.

It's amazing how many people comment on this without looking into how it would be implemented.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here