Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing trial approved from January...

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
When we were selecting our seats 10 years ago there was a designated amount of rows in the North Stand where standing would be permitted, we’ve never once asked been to sit down.

Really, I didn't know that. So do you expect that arrangement to continue or do you expect any safe standing area at The Amex to be where your standing area currently is?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
It wouldn't be the central blocks because the blocks to the side of that section wouldn't be able to see. If they introduced it, they aren't going to put it where it affects the sight lines of those either side.

Given the low angle of the seating and the distance of the stands from the pitch I'm not sure sight lines are going to be a huge problem. Sight lines are a problem when going to see a live performance because (generally) the performer is positioned in one place on stage. A football match is different because the action is all over the pitch

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Have you been to football matches before? Sometimes fans have been known to misbehave. The club dealt with it and the last 4 years have been fine...

Patronising aren't you. I was just posing a question around safety and how Celtic have handled things.

To me, closing parts of a ground even for a couple of games isn't what I would perceived "normal" behaviour! Although it appears they ironed out the problems since,

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Really, I didn't know that. So do you expect that arrangement to continue or do you expect any safe standing area at The Amex to be where your standing area currently is?

I see no reason why it wouldn’t continue, there’s been no issues with it for a decade. I’d very much anticipate that if we did introduce safe standing it would include the majority of the North Stand.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Given the low angle of the seating and the distance of the stands from the pitch I'm not sure sight lines are going to be a huge problem. Sight lines are a problem when going to see a live performance because (generally) the performer is positioned in one place on stage. A football match is different because the action is all over the pitch

Is that supposed to be a serious response. When you go to a game, you want to be able to see the whole of the pitch, not just one part. If the centre blocks are standing and people are forced to sit in the section to the left then their view of play on the opposite of the pitch is restricted, especially when it's near the goal line!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So it's quite apparent that you're a newbie and I'm guessing you are too young to remember the terraces at the Goldstone. Fans have a tacit agreement to stand at the Amex in the North Stand. Despite claims it is dangerous, there are no reported injuries of fans toppling over the seats so the likelihood of TB spending millions to convert part of the stand to accommodate those that just want a bar to lean is zilch.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
the likelihood of TB spending millions to convert part of the stand to accommodate those that just want a bar to lean is zilch.

Oh, and the cost of installing rails in a portion of the North Stand shouldn't be anywhere near "millions", the cost I've seen quoted for Celtic Park's area is around £500,000.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
So it's quite apparent that you're a newbie and I'm guessing you are too young to remember the terraces at the Goldstone. Fans have a tacit agreement to stand at the Amex in the North Stand. Despite claims it is dangerous, there are no reported injuries of fans toppling over the seats so the likelihood of TB spending millions to convert part of the stand to accommodate those that just want a bar to lean is zilch.

Oh dear, you know what they say about assumption...

I am a veteran of The Goldstone, using the North Stand from the 1971-72 season. I had season tickets there and at Gillingham and also frequented Withdean. I have been to many away days from Newcastle to Torquay, Wembley to Anfield and stood on many an occasion at these grounds.

It is to my chagrin, that due to home commitments I have not been able to get to the Amex as often as I would like, but I have and been in the North on occasions.

You are right though in your assertion that there isn’t a catalogue of disasters due to fans standing in seating areas, but that doesn’t give the tacit agreement you refer to any more validity. I would wager, that push come to shove (excuse pun) this agreement would have no more substance than the paper it apparently isn’t written on.

One thing we do agree on though is I don’t think there is any real interest from the club either way on this subject...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear, you know what they say about assumption...

I am a veteran of The Goldstone, using the North Stand from the 1971-72 season. I had season tickets there and at Gillingham and also frequented Withdean. I have been to many away days from Newcastle to Torquay, Wembley to Anfield and stood on many an occasion at these grounds.

It is to my chagrin, that due to home commitments I have not been able to get to the Amex as often as I would like, but I have and been in the North on occasions.

You are right though in your assertion that there isn’t a catalogue of disasters due to fans standing in seating areas, but that doesn’t give the tacit agreement you refer to any more validity. I would wager, that push come to shove (excuse pun) this agreement would have no more substance than the paper it apparently isn’t written on.

One thing we do agree on though is I don’t think there is any real interest from the club either way on this subject...

Apologies, your support predates mine by a year.

The agreement has stood for 10 years with no indication the club are going to change their stance.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
It would make sense to have rail seats behind both goals at the Amex but that's about it.

Last edited:

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
But it would cost money to install, and provide no additional income...so I suspect it's not going to happen any time soon.

I agree it probably won't happen soon, especially if people aren't vocal about it but it would benefit of the matchday experience and atmosphere so I think it should happen..........not that I can actually go and enjoy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here