Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing: Palace owners don't want to "make people sit"

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Yeah, our town is by the sea. Dolphins were on the Brighton crest (because we're by the sea), and Seagulls is perfect, because they're all over our town AND it takes the piss of the muppets up the road.

I can understand enjoying seeing an Eagle, it's a magnificent bird. So when I want to see such a bird, I go to a wildlife park of some description. Having an American bird of prey as your nickname however, is naff - like American Ice-Hockey teams etc. Just like goal music (which, thankfully, you've stopped) and mid-game entertainment. Football is the best sport in the world, and doesn't need crappy American entertainment to make it worthwhile. You're like the Hull Tigers - roar!

The sky, where eagles can be seen is actually visible from Selhurst park, and as far as I'm aware, there are a number of species of eagles indigenous to these shores. I didn't realise that Brighton changing their nickname to one that sounded like ours (even if it meant having to adopt the name of a hated pest) was actually to take the piss out of CPFC. It seemed like a somewhat deferential attempt at imitation to me. I'm also not aware of other clubs' proximity to Lions, tigers, dragons, devils of a red hue, (I don't think anyone knows wtf an addick is) and so on, but otherwise your witherism sarcasm is as ever spot on

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The sky, where eagles can be seen is actually visible from Selhurst park
Only just, but that's not really relevant, you don't get native American bald eagles here. I don't think we've ever had native eagles near Croydon.

I didn't realise that Brighton changing their nickname to one that sounded like ours (even if it meant having to adopt the name of a hated pest) was actually to take the piss out of CPFC. It seemed like a somewhat deferential attempt at imitation to me.
Oh bless.

I'm also not aware of other clubs' proximity to Lions, tigers, dragons, devils of a red hue
Lions and tigers, I agree with you. Devils was a nickname given by the opposition or something. Memory laps here, who are the dragons?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
100% this.

Steve Browett said something along these lines on the BBS a while back. The clubs,FA and FSF are waiting for the Hillsborough enquiry to conclude before pushing the issue again. Can't wait personally, always stand at football anyway.

So if you stand anyway, why are you bothered about the issue ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Red/Blue birds.
So birds, not dragons. I don't need to explain their use of the dragon, and why it makes sense, in a way that an Eagle doesn't.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Only just, but that's not really relevant, you don't get native American bald eagles here. I don't think we've ever had native eagles near Croydon.

Oh bless.

Lions and tigers, I agree with you. Devils was a nickname given by the opposition or something. Memory laps here, who are the dragons?
Wrexham.

Which is down to the Welsh flag rather than any local wildlife.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
So birds, not dragons. I don't need to explain their use of the dragon, and why it makes sense, in a way that an Eagle doesn't.

I'm sorry, what are the rules? Palace's historical nickname is The Glaziers, which makes sense, but Malcolm Allison simply decided he wanted to update the club's image with a new kit, nickname and badge, and a new chapter began. He chose an eagle because he felt it was a more dynamic name and emblem. You allege that Brighton changed their nickname simply to attempt to mock another club. I'm not sure which reason you would see as more 'valid'.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
And only for the next 5-6 months if the league tables don't change :rock:

Oh please stop pouring on all this scorn from your position on high. The message from Brighton is clear - absorb £200m of someone's personal fortune (so he says), laden yourselves with depreciating white elephant 'assets', an equally downgraded playing squad, and plateau out as a club floundering around the relegation zone in the Championship. Then, and only then, is it time to sardonically sneer at your rivals in the league above, and revel in the possibility that some day soon they may be approaching your own club's level of mediocrity.

You guys really know how to hit home

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sorry, what are the rules?
Sorry, my mistake, I thought you knew. The rules are that if you're naff, people will say you're naff.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh please stop pouring on all this scorn from your position on high. The message from Brighton is clear - absorb £200m of someone's personal fortune (so he says), laden yourselves with depreciating white elephant 'assets', an equally downgraded playing squad, and plateau out as a club floundering around the relegation zone in the Championship. Then, and only then, is it time to sardonically sneer at your rivals in the league above, and revel in the possibility that some day soon they may be approaching your own club's level of mediocrity.

You guys really know how to hit home

Blimey. The day the palace arrogance is taken down a notch or 2 by a couple of relegations the better :lolol:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'm sorry, what are the rules? Palace's historical nickname is The Glaziers, which makes sense, but Malcolm Allison simply decided he wanted to update the club's image with a new kit, nickname and badge, and a new chapter began. He chose an eagle because he felt it was a more dynamic name and emblem. You allege that Brighton changed their nickname simply to attempt to mock another club. I'm not sure which reason you would see as more 'valid'.

Well the fact is (as someone who was at ALL the Brighton/Palace games in the 70s and 80s) is that Brighton fans started responding to the Palace chant of "Eagles" by chanting back "Seagulls" as a piss take. In fact the first time I heard Palace shout "Eagles" was at a night game at Selhurst in 1976(?) and I thought they were shouting "Here goes...". But anyway, the Brighton board at the time in a genius marketing stroke (after several lucrative matches Vs Palace in the league and FA Cup) decided that a badge re-brand as the "Seagulls" would make sense. A lot of Albion fans were against it at the time, but "Seagulls" was catchy, relevant to a seaside town, and was a catchy counter-chant to the annoying flipping' "Eagles" which was all Palace sung in those days. Anyway, enough of the history lesson. Personally I reckon Albion and Palace fans have more in common than separates us, and I actually think the Holmesdale Fanatics are great; particularly their stance against excessive ticket prices and the right to have a passionate culture in the ground (don't get me wrong I want to beat them 5 nil every time we play) but frankly I would no more want to punch someone who supports Palace than I would someone who likes Iron Maiden (who I detest). That is all.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Well the fact is (as someone who was at ALL the Brighton/Palace games in the 70s and 80s) is that Brighton fans started responding to the Palace chant of "Eagles" by chanting back "Seagulls" as a piss take. In fact the first time I heard Palace shout "Eagles" was at a night game at Selhurst in 1976(?) and I thought they were shouting "Here goes...". But anyway, the Brighton board at the time in a genius marketing stroke (after several lucrative matches Vs Palace in the league and FA Cup) decided that a badge re-brand as the "Seagulls" would make sense. A lot of Albion fans were against it at the time, but "Seagulls" was catchy, relevant to a seaside town, and was a catchy counter-chant to the annoying flipping' "Eagles" which was all Palace sung in those days. Anyway, enough of the history lesson. Personally I reckon Albion and Palace fans have more in common than separates us, and I actually think the Holmesdale Fanatics are great; particularly their stance against excessive ticket prices and the right to have a passionate culture in the ground (don't get me wrong I want to beat them 5 nil every time we play) but frankly I would no more want to punch someone who supports Palace than I would someone who likes Iron Maiden (who I detest). That is all.

So, in summary, Brighton following Palace, attempting to undermine them, and ending up looking like mugs.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So, in summary, Brighton following Palace, attempting to undermine them, and ending up looking like mugs.

Yeah thanks for that; I tried to present a reasonable review of the situation and you come back with a moronic comment. So I withdraw my previous views and hereby now agree with all those who think that Palarse fans are scrawny Croydon track suit runts.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ooooh. You want to come and stand by us in the north stand. We are proper hard core and some would say "pwoper nawty" We even have been known to plan " offs" .......well at least who is off to buy the teas at half time.

As a North Stander myself I can vouch for that :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here