[Football] Safe standing in the North stand next season ....?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
You have to take account of NS STHs who do not wish / are unable to stand (I believe TB is one). You cannot start force-moving STHs who have had their NS seats since Amex day 1.

Maybe Barber shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss safe standing in the early days of the Amex when perhaps it would have been easier to accommodate a safe standing area. ("This club will never support the safe standing campaign" were his words IIRC).

If we start force-moving some longstanding fans to accommodate another group of fans then we are no better than them up the road. And we are.
I'n in total agreement with that as I'm not suggesting that safe standing with rails should be introduced to the whole of any given stand. There will be a section - probably a decent size - of the North Stand for example, where everyone stands. Rails could be installed without any issues and provide the safety that they are designed for. For sections that have people that sit - or even a mix - leave alone.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
No, he was definitely standing up. He just LOOKS like he's sitting down because he's tiny...
TB and family looking nice and relaxed leaning on a rail last night ...

IMG_0770.jpeg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'n in total agreement with that as I'm not suggesting that safe standing with rails should be introduced to the whole of any given stand. There will be a section - probably a decent size - of the North Stand for example, where everyone stands. Rails could be installed without any issues and provide the safety that they are designed for. For sections that have people that sit - or even a mix - leave alone.
Just seems like a total balls-ache for the club to implement with little or no tangible benefit. Those in the North who want to make a noise currently do so, and those in the North who want to stand currently do so :shrug:

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Just seems like a total balls-ache for the club to implement with little or no tangible benefit. Those in the North who want to make a noise currently do so, and those in the North who want to stand currently do so :shrug:
You can say this as many times as you like ... but you ignore the fact that this has anything to do with people not being able to stand. And if it's such a balls-ache, why have a number of clubs introduced rails to existing standing areas?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You can say this as many times as you like ... but you ignore the fact that this has anything to do with people not being able to stand. And if it's such a balls-ache, why have a number of clubs introduced rails to existing standing areas?
No I don't. People stand pretty much whenever they want in the North. It's mainly peer pressure from those behind them that dictates whether they sit down again or not. The stewards largely look away. It's pretty much self-policing and on the whole it works pretty well imho :shrug:

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
No I don't. People stand pretty much whenever they want in the North. It's mainly peer pressure from those behind them that dictates whether they sit down again or not. The stewards largely look away. It's pretty much self-policing and on the whole it works pretty well imho :shrug:
You do like your shrug emoji, don't you. I'm sure the 'self-policing' worked well at all the grounds before they introduced safe standing. And yet they introduced safe standing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You do like your shrug emoji, don't you. I'm sure the 'self-policing' worked well at all the grounds before they introduced safe standing. And yet they introduced safe standing.
Pretty sure you'll find that PBOBE's view on safe standing is the one that holds sway. And you can be equally pretty sure that he won't be splashing the cash anytime soon on anything that doesn't bring in added revenue:shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The survey was a bit of a nonsense I thought. Really should have just surveyed the North Stand. I don't think the club want to do it though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Except that once the stewards finally admitted defeat and accepted that getting the NS to sit was an impossibility, the overwhelming majority have stood. That stewards giving up was at the start of our first PL season. I am not aware of any death or serious injury caused by fans standing - without a rail. Are you?

Why do we need "safe-standing with rails" when everybody stands safely anyway? There's no need for the club to fritter away the hard-earned profits by installing rails nor to upset or inconvenience longstanding STHs who do sit in the NS by "resettling" them to install said railings.

Maybe the answer is for those who don't feel safe standing in the NS to seek a ST elsewhere? I'm sure there are plenty of the younger generation who would welcome the opportunity to stand, safely, in the NS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports