Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sadly Our Starting Eleven Just Looks Like Relegation Fodder

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Speak for yourself. I want a top half PL side. More importantly, so does Tony!:albion2:

If only a sizeable proportion of our support also stopped being so pathetically accepting of results in a good number of fixtures. Grew some balls. Believe instead of hope. And stopped blaming VAR and officials all the time. The self pity on here is nauseating as well as embarrassing.

I'm sure everyone wants a top half PL side. However, the wage structure and spending on the squad at this present time makes that unlikely.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You think flaming the shit out of every player, the staff etc. after every lost game is going to help with that ambition?

Whose “flaming the shit out of every player, the staff etc”?! Such a drama queen. Although, I did call out Locadia early on and several posters made themselves look eternally stupid for arguing otherwise in the face of mounting evidence. Personal pride can bury the best of men I suppose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm sure everyone wants a top half PL side. However, the wage structure and spending on the squad at this present time makes that unlikely.

Over many years, lots of clubs have over achieved as you’d put it. Don’t be so pessimistic!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whose “flaming the shit out of every player, the staff etc”?! Such a drama queen. Although, I did call out Locadia early on and several posters made themselves look eternally stupid for arguing otherwise in the face of mounting evidence. Personal pride can bury the best of men I suppose.

You are. You cant refuse any opportunity to bash the team and the club for failing to live up to what you believe is sensible (winning every single game).

You say that people should grow some balls and bash the team, well maybe panic and anger is the definition of balls over there, in Sweden its more often categorized as a menopause side effect.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The 3rd post on this thread telling the OP to give his head a wobble has racked up well over 100+ thumbs up. One of the most "liked" posts I've ever seen.

So we're not all idiots then!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are. You cant refuse any opportunity to bash the team and the club for failing to live up to what you believe is sensible (winning every single game).

You say that people should grow some balls and bash the team, well maybe panic and anger is the definition of balls over there, in Sweden its more often categorized as a menopause side effect.

What an idiotic, emotional temper tantrum. Borderline Sexist and racist too. Nice one,

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The 3rd post on this thread telling the OP to give his head a wobble has racked up well over 100+ thumbs up. One of the most "liked" posts I've ever seen.

So we're not all idiots then!

I think he can be forgiven for feeling that way. And in fairness, a side from Man U who I’m sure won’t be there or even there about come the end of the season, tonight the bottom 6 has a predictable familiar feel about it already. So maybe not so “stupid” as you put it (I’d use upset, passionate, frustrated, or even perceptive!)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Just dreadful.

Q How do you progess from being EPL cannon fodderand just clinging on in there for another season or two?

A Pay market prices. Or fold :shrug:

👍 That’s it then! No point in carrying on. PB should save a lot of time and money by writing to the PL now to officially forfeit the rest of our games this season. Then we start back in the Championship in August next year.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We’re 4 games in. The goals conceded column is a worry, not sure anyone can deny that, in 3 of those games we’ve conceded within a few mins of scoring, which points toward a bit of a concentration issue. In mitigation it’s a new shape and we’ve been playing quality players that punish mistakes all to easily.

What I do like is we’re carrying a threat and look like we have far more options. Poor old Trossard in particular should have 4 or 5 goals to his name other than the frame and some quality saves - it’s a good sign Trossard, March, Maupay, Connolly, Bissouma already contributing goals from our forwards and midfield, with Lamptey only a matter of time before he notches.

Can’t keep conceding goals though, so while the clamour is for a striker, we’ve really got to sort out what we’re doing and fast as it’s going to undo all the great work being done going forwards (who would have thought being more attacking might leave you more open...?).

I’m reasonably happy we have the potential to kick on and climb the table, but can’t deny I’m not really concerned with our sudden defensive fragility.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We’re 4 games in. The goals conceded column is a worry, not sure anyone can deny that, in 3 of those games we’ve conceded within a few mins of scoring, which points toward a bit of a concentration issue. In mitigation it’s a new shape and we’ve been playing quality players that punish mistakes all to easily.

What I do like is we’re carrying a threat and look like we have far more options. Poor old Trossard in particular should have 4 or 5 goals to his name other than the frame and some quality saves - it’s a good sign Trossard, March, Maupay, Connolly, Bissouma already contributing goals from our forwards and midfield, with Lamptey only a matter of time before he notches.

Can’t keep conceding goals though, so while the clamour is for a striker, we’ve really got to sort out what we’re doing and fast as it’s going to undo all the great work being done going forwards (who would have thought being more attacking might leave you more open...?).

I’m reasonably happy we have the potential to kick on and climb the table, but can’t deny I’m not really concerned with our sudden defensive fragility.

All of THIS!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really can’t get too stressed, the football is good to watch, even some of the goals against have been almost clap worthy. I expect us to be relegation scrappers every season until the day we buy/bring through the quality of players to move into mid table. Don’t see it happening this season so my current ambition is just to keep out of the bottom three.

I’m not very ambitious for the Albion am I :smile:

It does keep my blood pressure down even if it raises my heart rate watching us play. The United game last week is the only time I have actually got angry, some on here seem to be fuming every game we don’t win.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rational, thoughtful posts like this have no place on here at the moment..........you need to do better. Start posts flaming defenders who have played 4 PL games and might have made the odd error in otherwise mature and accomplished performances, slag Potter off for being tactically inept despite the obvious improvements in some aspects of our play, criticise Tony for not dipping into his pocket for another 40m for a striker.......etc.

We clearly have a few things to work on, but the hyperbolic wailing and direct personal criticism of some players and staff on some of the threads on here - after 4 games where we have at least as many points as we would have expected to get, and substantially more goals - are embarrassing IMO.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We're not relegation fodder, but we are shipping way too many and improving the defending on free kicks and corners is an urgent priority.

I'm binning off three at the back (in my imaginative world where I'm the manager). Our goals at Goodison were mostly scored at the back post where an old fashioned full back should have been. I'm also (with a heavy heart) dropping White, Lamptey and March though I expect them to feature prominently off the bench

My team to offer a bit more defensive heft is ....

--------------Ryan
Veltman Webby Dunk Burn
--Lallana Bisouma Alzate
-----Maupay Trossard
------------Connolly

Note, the above assumes no serious first team contenders are joining the squad

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We're not relegation fodder, but we are shipping way too many and improving the defending on free kicks and corners is an urgent priority.

I'm binning off three at the back (in my imaginative world where I'm the manager). Our goals at Goodison were mostly scored at the back post where an old fashioned full back should have been. I'm also (with a heavy heart) dropping White, Lamptey and March though I expect them to feature prominently off the bench

My team to offer a bit more defensive heft is ....

--------------Ryan
Veltman Webby Dunk Burn
--Lallana Bisouma Alzate
-----Maupay Trossard
------------Connolly

Note, the above assumes no serious first team contenders are joining the squad

I think we may see something like this IF we need to shore things up . . . but I still don't get Maupay/Connolly together, its either or for me. On current form THats Maupay, with Trossard and AJ. or MArch . . .or a new striker, Messi maybe :rolleyes:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Well put. The sky has indeed not fallen in on our season. What we do have is a chronic inability to function at set-pieces on both attack and defence and a new defensive system that is currently offering too much space for our opponents own the break. As has been pointed out going forward we seem to be much more threatening and dynamic.

This international break has come at a good time, for there is much for Potter to ponder as he will have to address these issues at the back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
zefarelly;9539562[B said:
]I think we may see something like this IF we need to shore things up [/B]. . . but I still don't get Maupay/Connolly together, its either or for me. On current form THats Maupay, with Trossard and AJ. or MArch . . .or a new striker, Messi maybe :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the goals against column and thinking we do need to shore things up. In particular, we need a bit more grunt to deal with the teams who will undoubtedly target us at set pieces.

The front 3 isn't currently the problem, so I'm not inclined to break that up

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Palace lost 4-0 on Saturday, Liverpool 7-2, Leicester 3-0, Wolves 4-0 and Man Utd 6-1. Man City lost 5-2 last week, Newcastle 3-0 to er, us. All worse results than any of ours so far.
Fulham, West Brom and Burnley have no points and don't look in a great position..
Do any of the clubs above starting 11 look like relegation fodder on the basis of 1-2 dodgy results? Maybe ? Maybe not ? A quirk of this very odd season ?
This kind of premature instant analysis might make for good troll fodder but its frankly pretty ridiculous with 34 games to go or for those who've seen with our own eyes what our very young line up of Lamptey, Trossard, Connolly, Alzate, White and Maupay are capable of.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Palace lost 4-0 on Saturday, Liverpool 7-2, Leicester 3-0 and Man Utd 6-1. Man City lost 5-2 last week. and Newcastle 3-0. All worse results than any of ours so far.
Fulham, West Brom and Burnley have no points.
Do any of their starting 11 look like relegation fodder. ? Maybe ? Maybe not ?
But This kind of premature instant analysis might make for good troll fodder but its frankly pretty ridiculous with 34 games to go..

Exactly....bottom 4 have one point between them from 15 games. The fabulous Sheff Utd have scored one goal in 4 (they struggled with goals last season too but are now leaking at the other end). We've lost to a worldie and a deflection v Chelsea, been v unlucky v Man U (even OGS admitted that) and played Newcastle off the park.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly....bottom 4 have one point between them from 15 games. The fabulous Sheff Utd have scored one goal in 4 (they struggled with goals last season too but are now leaking at the other end). We've lost to a worldie and a deflection v Chelsea, been v unlucky v Man U (even OGS admitted that) and played Newcastle off the park.

Liverpool and Man Utd have both conceded more goals than us this season, Man Utd have played a game less. Only 7 teams have scored more goals than us. There are plenty of chinks of optimism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here