Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sadly, I don't care any more.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My love and pride for this country is fine. No I meant like the OP's.

Tolerating the democratic majority decision made by the British people in the referendum would be a good start in helping the nation come together.

Fair enough. I would never argue with 17 million. But I'm not sure this was 'the point' here . . . .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Dissapointed that England have lived down to expectations as usual but sadly not as surprised as I should be.

Has your love for and pride of this country gone too?

Mine has. I used to love England in major tournaments, despite a lifetime of disappointment, and that included the first 3 games of this one. After last Thursday though, my give-a-shitometer and love for England dropped right off. There is very little about the country that I feel proud of right now. The Rugby boys perhaps - winning 3-0 in Oz is a fantastic and historic achievement.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was and am elated by the Brexit decision. I am totally embarrassed by the England football team. The good news is that hopefully Brexit will mean many fewer foreigners playing football for English teams and therefore more opportunity to develop top class English players.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I chuckled at the Icelandic equaliser, I laughed out loud and clapped as they took the lead, in the full expectation that England, my England, would beat the pesky Viking types as the game went on.

I have watched England both home and away, not as much as many but more than most. I have rejoiced at our occasional victory snatched from the jaws etc, more often I have despaired at our inability to perform on the big stage. Sometimes I have cried, other times I have not behaved as well as I should have done, sorry.

Tonight? I am shocked, shocked that I could not really care. My love for this country, and particularly our football team, is gone. We really do have a culture of self gratification, of 'I am worth it', and much of it stems from our obsession with football, especially the Premier League. Money, celebrity, fame, beauty, and further down the line a flash motor, the biggest TV possible, and that oh so necessary designer clobber.

But to be more accurate, it is not about football, it is about our culture. The one where we as a country believe that we are better than the rest, better than Europe, that we can take on the world and win. As a nation we have voted for Brexit, cos we know best. Fxxk the French/Germans and the refugees, fxxk the fact that every economic expert said don't do it, fxxk everyone that dares not to have the Bulldog Bobby attitude.

Yeah, I am still whinging about the referendum, but I accept the decision. I am just gutted that my opinion of everything England is now so jaundiced. There really is no reason for pride in our country anymore.

Good post - every now and again this country embarrasses itself and we all feel it. Going cap in hand to the IMF in 1976, hooliganism in 1980s, Iraq in the noughties. And the football team that underperforms not once, not twice, but every tournament. We big it up then look silly when things go wrong and you have this self consciousness that everyone looks at you with a mixture of pity and contempt. Now we have humiliated ourselves twice in a week. All I can say is that we usually shrug it off, start again and once again get to a position where we can big it up but right now I feel more confused than ever and unable quite to understand how either of these things have happened.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
For years I convinced myself that we just needed a little luck, we would lose on penalties, have goals disallowed, get beaten by a freak lob etc.I thought we had a strong team this time, and let myself be positive again.

But tonight was a new low, abject, disgraceful.

At the moment I don't even care.

Bring on the Albion, can't wait to see a team with passion again.

I was thinking exactly the same tonight. I was gutted after Boro and Wednesday and it took me a while to move on. Tonight will take no time as those players don't seem bothered so why should I be. Looking forward to Derby away now

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
With regard to the OP, I felt like that after South Aftica and the Saudi Arabia game. Since then I've just been amazed at how we can't get our national team right. All the old farts at the FA are the main reason.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
can i chip in with........it is no longer acceptable in England to be overtly masculine , be patriotic or to have an over-riding desire to win , we have been beaten down by our wonderful politicians to a stage where a large majority of us no longer care......the country is ****ed in my opinion........large areas of some cities no longer look or feel like England , we have a mountain to climb which will take huge effort and you may have thought that Woy and the boys could see this and maybe make a special effort but No .......No let's not eh boys.....let's get rolled by a team with a population of 300,000......goes to show just how gutless and shite the squad are , no fight , no guile , no balls.....no ****in idea, but that's alright , as long as our policemen can get married surely we are on the right track...yeah...???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With regard to the OP, I felt like that after South Aftica and the Saudi Arabia game. Since then I've just been amazed at how we can't get our national team right. All the old farts at the FA are the main reason.

the f.a are probably under threat from the home office....success will not be tolerated.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Personally I thought England's performance reminded me of some remainers attitudes since the vote .... gutless, little or no self belief , lack of passion for the shirt, etc etc

:p

grow up a bit, etc, etc. you, are a very dull dude

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Great post by the OP. I really feel that with the brexit vote things couldn't get worse then come the usual shower from the England team. Our country is divided and is in a bad way. This has to be one of the worst weeks for the UK in decades. We are going full speed ahead into a recession and uncertainty and yet brexiters are lauding it up and smugly stating it's a win for democracy. Mean while racists are now using the brexit vote as a reason to bully and abuse hard working innocent immigrants (some not even immigrants and were born here but are just not white)

Now I may get shot down in flames but a little piece of me feels that had England won and had a good tournament the racists, loud louts would be more brash, more racist would only be louder. Feeling even more superior to everyone else. At least this embarrassment of the national team may keep this type of person quiet for a bit. (I haven't explained this well)

I fear for the way this country is going. There does feel to be the beginnings of a 1930s Germany...

This is where I get abused and shot down .... But it's how I feel... I love this country and have never wanted to live anywhere else... I don't even like going on holiday... But for the first time the thought of moving abroad has crossed my mind

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Great post by the OP. I really feel that with the brexit vote things couldn't get worse then come the usual shower from the England team. Our country is divided and is in a bad way. This has to be one of the worst weeks for the UK in decades. We are going full speed ahead into a recession and uncertainty and yet brexiters are lauding it up and smugly stating it's a win for democracy. Mean while racists are now using the brexit vote as a reason to bully and abuse hard working innocent immigrants (some not even immigrants and were born here but are just not white)

Now I may get shot down in flames but a little piece of me feels that had England won and had a good tournament the racists, loud louts would be more brash, more racist would only be louder. Feeling even more superior to everyone else. At least this embarrassment of the national team may keep this type of person quiet for a bit. (I haven't explained this well)

I fear for the way this country is going. There does feel to be the beginnings of a 1930s Germany...

This is where I get abused and shot down .... But it's how I feel... I love this country and have never wanted to live anywhere else... I don't even like going on holiday... But for the first time the thought of moving abroad has crossed my mind

not sure wot the nancy years were like, but; shit,yeah, me too. sad times indeed

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I chuckled at the Icelandic equaliser, I laughed out loud and clapped as they took the lead, in the full expectation that England, my England, would beat the pesky Viking types as the game went on.

I have watched England both home and away, not as much as many but more than most. I have rejoiced at our occasional victory snatched from the jaws etc, more often I have despaired at our inability to perform on the big stage. Sometimes I have cried, other times I have not behaved as well as I should have done, sorry.

Tonight? I am shocked, shocked that I could not really care. My love for this country, and particularly our football team, is gone. We really do have a culture of self gratification, of 'I am worth it', and much of it stems from our obsession with football, especially the Premier League. Money, celebrity, fame, beauty, and further down the line a flash motor, the biggest TV possible, and that oh so necessary designer clobber.

But to be more accurate, it is not about football, it is about our culture. The one where we as a country believe that we are better than the rest, better than Europe, that we can take on the world and win. As a nation we have voted for Brexit, cos we know best. Fxxk the French/Germans and the refugees, fxxk the fact that every economic expert said don't do it, fxxk everyone that dares not to have the Bulldog Bobby attitude.

Yeah, I am still whinging about the referendum, but I accept the decision. I am just gutted that my opinion of everything England is now so jaundiced. There really is no reason for pride in our country anymore.

This household's reaction to the Iceland goals very much reflected your own. I found myself wishing I was Belgian, or that Eden Hazard was English.

Still, the way some morons are reacting to Brexit, the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Alli, Clyne, Walker and anyone else who has a funny name or slightly different skin colour will be packing their bags to "go home".

It's not been a good week.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

The Rugby team just beat Australia 3-0 in the series:) They care! Now 2nd in the world rankings.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I kept thinking last night about how many light years I felt from that Saturday night at London 2012 and that I couldn’t imagine ever feeling like that again. If we had won the Euros I would have struggled to feel anything like the pride I would have expected. This is largely because of last week but not the result, which I have to accept, but the poison that was unleashed by an element of the Leave side and the ,already shocking, consequences with a palpable change in atmosphere across the country. It is also because of the total lack of any preparation from leaders on either side for the result we had which would be funny if it wasn’t shameful and deeply dangerous. This doesn’t mean that I don’t have pride in many things; the amazing national body that I work for, working in London; the greatest city in the world, coming from Brighton, being an Albion fan. It is just having pride in England as a country that I am struggling with…and as for Great Britain; I can’t see a Team GB at the 2020 Olympics.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I agree with you and admit that I was the same. Then a bit worse

A chuckle when they equalised, a full on belly laugh when they took the lead. I even found myself cheering for Iceland in the final 15 minutes.

I started the game hoping we would win, beginning England to not ruin it. And I ended it desperate for us to lose so that these players with their arrogance will forever be embarrassed by this result. We lost to Iceland and didn't even need penalties.

Hopefully it will bring proper change, it probably won't. Our national team are a joke

Fair play to Iceland, would love to see them beat France

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Has your love for and pride of this country gone too?

"Pride - a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired".

Yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here