Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad News

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Was also taught by him. Still fancy a game of football cricket rounders.

Heard he was ill and in a home some time ago, meant to find out where and go and see him. RIP.

My PE teacher too for 6 years in the 80's. What a lovely man. Football cricket rounders - what a game!! This news has really made me sad today. RIP Denis, still remember the stories he used to tell about to the overseas students trying understand what he meant by "Get inside the ball" when trying to coach cricket to them!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Heard over the weekend that Dennis Foreman passed away .RIP to a true gentleman.

HBZ, can you back this up. Nothing on the Albion site, nothing on the Argus site and wikipedia doesn't confirm this.

It's Denis by the way!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All I did was Google the name. It's not the first time on NSC that there has been news of someone who passed away, only to find out that they died years ago.

I really don't think this thread deserves people jumping on the high horses about it just because I did not know who he was. So lets not get into one.

I think it's because many people here have an antipathy to the idea that football was invented in 1992 and there was nothing before that. For someone to come on an Albion board and profess to having no interest in the history of the Albion is strange to them.

I didn't see Denis play for the Albion - he was before my time too - but I remember him playing for Sussex. I got his autograph in the street and he and my dad had a good old natter about the old days; seemed like a nice chap.

RIP

arich264

A rich *******
I did see Denis Foreman play numerous times in the middle to late fifties and he was good, always a winger by my recollection and scored goals as well as made them for Peter Harburn and Dave Sexton. He and Eric Gill were my first Albion heroes right up until promotion in 1958. After that he faded from the team but I did play against him once in the 1970's when he was playing in the Sussex Sunday League. Now I must go and lie down this is making me feel very old.
RIP Denis you are fondly remembered

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
HBZ, can you back this up. Nothing on the Albion site, nothing on the Argus site and wikipedia doesn't confirm this.

It's Denis by the way!

Andy Naylor has confirmed it on Twitter. He probably hasn't done his Argus article yet.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Must have been one of the last sportsmen to pay first class cricket and professional football. Even better to play both in the same town and better still that it was here. The testimony of those who remember him in his playing days (I only recall him as a cricketer) and thereafter as a coach and family man is very touching. We won't see the likes of that generation again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Must have been one of the last sportsmen to pay first class cricket and professional football.

It's a great feat but he wasn't even close to being the last: there have been three at Sussex since him and two at Brighton - (although Joe Gatting is included twice).

But, off the top of my head, I can think of ten others (there are probably a lot more) who have played first-class cricket and league football since he hung up his boots

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I remember him watching his boy Kevin play for Burgess Hill, I can confirm everything thats been said about him here, a lovely, lovely man.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Sad news indeed , I didn't know him myself although my father who would have been about the same age did .

My condolences to the family .

Have uploaded these photos of the 57-58 promotion winning side as a tribute to the passing of a true sportsman .

Attachments

• df1.jpg
    df1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • df-2.jpg
    df-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212

then and now

Jan 16, 2010
RIP Denis we has some great chats after games back in the 70's helping me to improve my game never criticised how I played always picked out the good parts and bits I could improve on you was a true gentleman my condolences to Kevin & Michael who I played with at Brighton boys for many years and the rest of the family ,,, Genty

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All I did was Google the name. It's not the first time on NSC that there has been news of someone who passed away, only to find out that they died years ago.

I really don't think this thread deserves people jumping on the high horses about it just because I did not know who he was. So lets not get into one.
I hadn't heard of him either

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Must have been one of the last sportsmen to pay first class cricket and professional football. Even better to play both in the same town and better still that it was here. The testimony of those who remember him in his playing days (I only recall him as a cricketer) and thereafter as a coach and family man is very touching. We won't see the likes of that generation again.

Chris Balderstone (Carlisle) and sort of, Botham (Scunny).

There was another thread on DF fairly recently. His boys, Kevin and Michael, used to destroy the rest of us up Easthill Park in kickabouts in the 60s. Thay had joie de vivre. I salute that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here