Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad News

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My great uncle worked with Frankie Howard I think he may have even been groundsman for a while ? Maybe the History man will know (Bert Bevan) but anyway he always spoke very fondly of Frankie RIP

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My dad always chatted to Frankie by the tunnel after games at the Goldstone. He seemed like a lovely man and BHAFC right to the core.

A sad day indeed.

RIP Frankie.

:angel:

:bowdown:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The word legend is much overused these days but is definitely appropriate for Frankie. The man was so proud of his turf that he apparently painted the mud green when we were shown on Match of the Day one winter's evening in the 70s so that the pitch would still look perfect. RIP

Sad news-would have been great to have had him invited to the opening ceremony at Falmer.

The Goldstone was at its best when he was responsible for the playing surface.

This is one man's passing that deserves a minute's applause at our next home game...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He was a also a great player for the Albion. What a winger. Could do with his like today. When I was 13/14 he used to give me free tickets for the Goldstone. A really lovely man and one of the great Albion Players of all time.

RIP Frankie. May Light Perpetual Shine Upon You.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He used to get the pitch just as Wardy liked it. His playing days were before my time but I've been told he was mustard on the wing.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
vERY SAD TO HEAR OF fRANKIE PASSING ON.
It takes you back to when we had a very entertaining team,Frankie on one wing and Flash Gordon on the other,you would go out in any weather to watch that Albion team.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I am really sorry to learn of the demise of this lovely man. It has been said before on this thread that here was a man who deserved the accolade of 'legend.'

I remember him wearing the number eleven on his blue and white striped shirt during the days when the Albion played in the old Third Division South. Frank was really fast on the left wing (he was one of the few men in those days who had done a ten second one hundred yards.) Full backs marking him knew what to expect. Frank would show the ball to them, stroke it past them on one side, sprint past them on the other side and meet up with it behind them. Most full backs were left floundering. He had a really fierce shot on him too. The ball would either finish up in Hove Park or almost break the net.

Off the pitch he was always in trouble for playing pranks. He once doctored one of the director's cigars. He also hid another director's bowler hat and left some torn up paper in it. Years later as a groundsman he repeated the prank with a trilby belonging to another of the Albion's directors.

I used to collect autographs after the games. I remember his beloved wife Barbara waiting outside the old wooden West Stand along with Denis (Flash) Gordon's, Eric Gill's and Denis Foreman's wives. No hint of a players' lounge in those days.

He continued his days at The Goldstone as the groundsman for years. He took great pride in that pitch and it was never better tended than in the days that he looked after that playing surface. He was always on hand to give young players wise advice if they sort it. He was unceremoniously dumped by that evil weasel Bellotti without a care. The bastard! The service that Frank had given to The Albion deserved far more than that.

Thank you Frank for everything that you did for the Albion. Thank you too for quite a few comps both during your playing and non-playing days. RIP

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Shouldn't there be some sort of football equivalent of the Wisden obituaries, which give the story of almost every player who died that year, regardless how famous they were - nationally or locally.

How many other former players will have gone completely unnoticed because nobody then remembered them in their pomp?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My only memories of him are as the groundsman, back in the days of the Goldstone, Tony Millard on the Seagull Line, and when they were still dreaming of building stadiums at Waterhall.

Different world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here