Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad day - end of an era

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It does FLY by. My daughter has just started her LAST year at university, it wasn't so long ago I was posting a thread boasting about how well she'd done in her GCSEs. My son has just started his GCSEs so he's got less than two years at Stringer before he has to move on.

Enjoy it Tedebear while it lasts.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
A real m,ilestone that is. Now they really do start making their own friends - rather than the offspring of parents you get on with.

I do remember our daughters first day at school - and leaving her in floods of tears as they would not let her keep her little teddy with her ......... it must have been traumatic. But she survived.

My daughter threw herself to the ground this morning amid lots of "why are you doing this mummy" "don't leave me here mummy" "please take me home" I left her a treasure in her pocket that she could hold and she told me "treasures make me cry mummy, i can't stay at school it hurts my heart"

By the time we got home and I called the school she was fine. She is in her second year of proper school and really she loves it, she is just dramatic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The thing about your kids growing up is the sudden realisation as a parent just how old you are getting, My eldest step daughter was just a kid when I moved in with mrs bulldog and now she's due to give birth to the 1st grandchild any day, And my eldest bulldog becomes a man in his own right next month when he has his 18th birthday. As other posters have said just where has the time gone?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My duaghter started school last week and she loves it - in fact, she was upset that she couldn't go at the weekend. I told her that will change when she has to do double algebra but she just said 'no' ... bless.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My daughter threw herself to the ground this morning amid lots of "why are you doing this mummy" "don't leave me here mummy" "please take me home" I left her a treasure in her pocket that she could hold and she told me "treasures make me cry mummy, i can't stay at school it hurts my heart"

By the time we got home and I called the school she was fine. She is in her second year of proper school and really she loves it, she is just dramatic.

He he - probably wasn't funny at the time, but thats priceless!! :lol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Sounds like a job well handled. Although for some disturbing reason I found myself thinking of Leon Knight just reading that...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ignore him - he's decided that he'll see how far he can go before he gets banned today...shame he's posted poo in so many good threads so far...

Thanks for the pointer. Having just reviewed his recent postings, a ban has been applied.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well - our oldest is off to university. They say it is the purpose of parenting - simply preparing your offspring to leave the nest. And she is ready to go. But it is still sad - and the end of an era. All being well - our youngest is off next year. I know these days it is likely one or both of them will be back unable to afford their own home - but it is likely they will no longer live back in the parental home.

It does not seem five minutes since our daughter was born - let alone first day at school, first Albion match (at the Goldstone), secondary school and all that. So parents - enjoy the years - they go by quickly.

Anyway - just thought I would share that with you.
We went through this stuff this time last year, packing my partner's daughter off to Guildhall in London.

For all the drama leading up to her actually going (she can flap and scream for England - I think it's her way of coping), the day itself was a breeze. It was like her first day of school all over again, making friends very quickly, getting to know the environment etc. It was good for me and the missus as well to see her like this, and we had a lovely lunch in the Barbican. Straight afterwards, I was on the train to London Bridge to head to Millwall to watch us win 1-0.

One thing that I would say was that she is the world's laziest tidier of her room, and to find her washing all over the flat, and dishes from several days previously unswashed was all-too-common, despite her mum moaning about it on a daily basis. Once she got to university, she was 'Mama Poulet', nagging everyone about cleanliness and tidiness. Oh, how the worm turned. She's still messy at home, mind.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

We have exactly the same tales at my partner's school. Screaming kids, screaming mums 'ooh, darling, baby, do be sooo careful...' as Daisy prises the two apart. Five minutes later, the kids are happy as Larry with their new friends while mum goes for a Coffee Medicinal and a valium.

:rolleyes:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We have exactly the same tales at my partner's school. Screaming kids, screaming mums 'ooh, darling, baby, do be sooo careful...' as Daisy prises the two apart. Five minutes later, the kids are happy as Larry with their new friends while mum goes for a Coffee Medicinal and a valium.

My sister reports the same things at her nursery! :lol: She's often fairly blunt and ends up telling some parents to hoof it as they're make it worse!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My sister reports the same things at her nursery! :lol: She's often fairly blunt and ends up telling some parents to hoof it as they're make it worse!!
Daisy has a protocol which she informs parents about when they arrive. One of them is that she is there to shake the kids' hands when they come into the school - it automatically separates the parents from children. It's only one or two who are 'inseperable', to whom gives short-ish shrift along the lines of that it's school time now...

But I can tell when it's the beginning of term. There's always one child who has to exercise his or her lungs all morning. I don't need an alarm clock - the noisy bleeders. They calm down after a short while normally though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mrs DTG says exactly the same.

9 timesd out of 10 its the parents the problem not the kids....she even had one hovering outside the door....when the kid settled down and sat down with Mrs DTG to read a book, she rushed into the classroom, grabbed the kid and tried to drag him out of the class because she thought there must have been something wrong, so upsetting the kid again...this happened for 3 days on the trot until the parent finally decided to keep the kid out of school as she couldnt stand being away from him.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

9 timesd out of 10 its the parents the problem not the kids....she even had one hovering outside the door....when the kid settled down and sat down with Mrs DTG to read a book, she rushed into the classroom, grabbed the kid and tried to drag him out of the class because she thought there must have been something wrong, so upsetting the kid again...this happened for 3 days on the trot until the parent finally decided to keep the kid out of school as she couldnt stand being away from him.

Whaaaaat?? - I do love my son, but when he goes to school I'm looking forward to being able to have a little bit of time back to myself! She must have been slightly mad!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We had all the tears and tantrums on my eldest sons first day at school but mrs bulldog calmed me down eventually!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

f*** me, that's awful.

Dasiy's had some barking parents in the school's 22 years, and some beggar belief, but I don't think anyone has gatecrashed the security and barged in on the classroom.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004

I am the mean mum in the class because I leave Fran weeping and wailing, told her to have a nice day and I would see her at home time and left. There is another mother in the class whose son acts the same way as Fran and she gets down beside him and really panders to him. I feel mean for not being all lovey with Fran but I know that would do neither of us any favours.

I don't usually phone up because I know she is OK as soon as I leave but today was first day back with a new class and a new teacher so I just wanted to be sure. Fran is all about the dramatics though, the more people looking at her and giving her attention the better. She doesn't do it because she doesn't like school, just to make a show of herself.

My son on the other hand barely says goodbye to me before dashing into his classroom. Guess it's not cool to be seen with mum anymore.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It will be Christmas and she'll be back home before you know it. I actually enjoyed my youngest going off to uni so that I could start having some time to myself but when she got married a few years later that's when it felt like an empty nest syndrome.
Then five years after that the grandchildren started coming along so now I am thoroughly enjoying that instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here