Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sabotage times article on Brighton as a city.....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He's got it spot on for our entry avenues, apart from the finest in Dyke Road.

Queens Road is a shameful mess and could be attacked if the desire was there.

Get rid of the taxis. Send them round the back. Move the buses further down. Ban cars. Knock down most of the block of buildings, up to that ale pub and stick some fountains up.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Get rid of the taxis. Send them round the back. Move the buses further down. Ban cars. Knock down most of the block of buildings, up to that ale pub and stick some fountains up.

Most of that 'block of buildings' on Queens Road are recruitment agencies. It seems to me as though every third shopfront on Queens Road is a recruitment agency of one sort or another. Given the amount of time and money that has been spent on renovating/reorganising the station recently, I'm surprised they haven't done anything about relocating the taxi rank.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Having just returned to Prague from Brighton, I now understand why my mother has commented each time she has visited, about how clean Prague is. There also seems to be some general shabbiness in some of the buildings that could definitely use a lick of paint, even a clean, but im guessing its difficult with high rents etc to make do..more vagrants than I can remember seeing before....possible food poisoning from a fish and chip shop. Fecking cold (maybe due to the possible poisoning)

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Aside the fact that it is rather poorly written one gets the impression the author would be unhappy anywhere. I think he maybe came to Brighton thinking he would make his way in the world and was rudely shaken from his dreams when he realised that yes, while Brighton has a reputation for being a liberal, quirky and exciting city to live in it also has to function both as a structured city and as tourist destination, something of a difficult balance that I believe Brighton has, overall, got right.

As for it being nicer in the 70's and 80's and that it has changed well, yes, it probably has. Show me a city that hasn't.

It seems to me he never got to know the resident's Brighton. The wealth of great pubs far from the Stag and Hen highways, the plethora of interesting and well run restaurants, the hidden areas that are great to live in.

In Brighton pretty much anything goes and this does mean you have to filter out a lot of crap, it also means you can pretty much do, or be anything you want. It's unfortunate for him that he chose to be a dick.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
My favourite post on there from someone who is from Croydon:

stamina man 2:32 pm, 16-May-2013 I agree Brighton is an absolute disgrace, the women and children are unfriendly rude and ugly though most of the men are incredibly friendly for some reason, the beach is dry like stale bread, the football team are awful and got rightfully hammered by the mighty Crystal Palace, the Brighton 'fans' are laughable leaving the ground 15 minutes early , Youre a joke city and a joke club who should seriously consider merging with Crawley town!!!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My favourite post on there from someone who is from Croydon:

stamina man 2:32 pm, 16-May-2013 I agree Brighton is an absolute disgrace, the women and children are unfriendly rude and ugly though most of the men are incredibly friendly for some reason, the beach is dry like stale bread, the football team are awful and got rightfully hammered by the mighty Crystal Palace, the Brighton 'fans' are laughable leaving the ground 15 minutes early , Youre a joke city and a joke club who should seriously consider merging with Crawley town!!!

Unbiased to the core..

I love the free press….

TNBA

TTF

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
Ive stopped reading sabotage times cos they trawl through there old articles and repost them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like the fact that he writes about wanky shops in The Lanes and mentions Vegetarian Shoes ... that was well researched then

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Very dull and tiresome. Not even well written.

As one poster has said, you're basically writing about British towns, and Brighton is not even the worst of them.

Maybe a little redistribution of wealth would help.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Very dull and tiresome. Not even well written.

As one poster has said, you're basically writing about British towns, and Brighton is not even the worst of them.

Maybe a little redistribution of wealth would help.

Established1982

Jul 30, 2011
Although someone like Will Self can write very well, he gives oxygen to absolute bell ends like this bloke who think that having some kind of dystopian world view is being part of a 'movement'.

The way this is written sounds like he is auditioning for the NME in the 80s. Really basic agitprop fanzine writing. The ridiculous thing is that it's not even funny. Humour is usually the saving grace of these dirges.

Sabotage Times is a website set up by James Brown, who ran Loaded in the 90s and has since become a bit of wandering, budget, media baron. There's some good stuff on there but a lot of toss as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here