Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SA v Eng 4th Test official thread

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
''Test Match Special, along with several other sources, are now stating that the referral fiasco was explicitly umpire Harper's fault. Apparently he did not realise that he had a volume control switch in his booth, and had failed to turn up the noise when he was confronted with silent footage. Quite simply: d'oh, and double d'oh. ''

This isn't the fault of the technology, it's the fault of Daryl f***ing Harper. AGAIN.

aussie TIT

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Can't they just retire off Harper once and for all?

now that may well happen - perhaps after his next series so it doesn't look like he's being a sacrificial lamb. Imagine if he'd done that to an indian sub continent team - you'd have Inzamam marching straight off the pitch followed by his team mates until the decision was reversed

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Just seen the Smith 'dismissal' for the first time.

I agree that he should shoulder no blame for his refusal to walk. However, to stand there and shake his head at the umpire, knowing full well he'd middled it, is blatant cheating.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just seen the Smith 'dismissal' for the first time.

I agree that he should shoulder no blame for his refusal to walk. However, to stand there and shake his head at the umpire, knowing full well he'd middled it, is blatant cheating.

Haven't you just contradicted yourself there?

If he knows he's middled it, then surely the fucker should walk - so I would say he does shoulder some blame. I know that makes me sound hopelessly naïve, but even if it's not in the rules of cricket, it's in the spirit of cricket.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Haven't you just contradicted yourself there?

If he knows he's middled it, then surely the fucker should walk - so I would say he does shoulder some blame. I know that makes me sound hopelessly naïve, but even if it's not in the rules of cricket, it's in the spirit of cricket.

If he just stood there didn't look at the umpire and didn't walk, then fine.

But to try and influence the umpires decision by shaking his head and looking at him, he goes beyond the line.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyone still want video replays brought in for football ?

(sorry, thats for another thread)

YES!

The replay system is in cricket and is being changed and improved with each series. At first they didn't let the umpires have Hawkeye's opinion, and I'm sure they will now accept snicko and / or hotspot for future series.

It would never be brought in and be perfect overnight, but already I think the decisions from the appeal make for a far more accurately umpired game.

Would anyone seriously want to take cricket back to where football is, which is right back to the on field umpires even having to call all the run-outs?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think it's a case of walking or not walking, very few players walk now. What pissed me off is when players shake their heads and say they didn't touch it or point to their bat for an lbw or something when they know they're wrong. Not walking and letting the umpire make up his mind is fine, but lying to try to make it up for him is cheating

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If he just stood there didn't look at the umpire and didn't walk, then fine.

But to try and influence the umpires decision by shaking his head and looking at him, he goes beyond the line.

Yes, that's what I tried to say in a less concise post

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Looks like we could be in for some more cricket before the day is out. The sun is shining again and the pitch has cleared amazingly quickly of water

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
YES!

The replay system is in cricket and is being changed and improved with each series. At first they didn't let the umpires have Hawkeye's opinion, and I'm sure they will now accept snicko and / or hotspot for future series.

It's not about just accepting snicko/hotspot. The SABC can't AFFORD to pay for it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The drainage must be very good!

_47117916_rain466.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
YES!

the third umpire is allowed to use the technology available to the host broadcaster. So if SABC had snicko or hot spot then it would be used. They don't have it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
the third umpire is allowed to use the technology available to the host broadcaster. So if SABC had snicko or hot spot then it would be used. They don't have it.

Yes, that's right.

My point was really in response to Easy10 leaping on a "replay controversy" to yet again throw out baby and bath water and claim this as proof that replays do not work in sport blah blah blah, when taking cricket as an example of that simply doesn't work, because the TV replay has become an integral part of the improvement in decision making. The fact that people are up in arms about two very marginal calls one way or the other just shows how far we've come in cricket courtesy of TV replays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here