S,o,s save our stanley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mabasfc

Sep 7, 2009
'Off to the match?' What match?
Fund raising match between Burnley and Accrington Stanley...........
Last nights game finished Burnley 4 Accy Stanley 0 in this fund raising game held at turf moor official att 5,301 which is excellent considering the game was thrown to gether at short notice,somewhere in the region of £45k was raised ,which I'll verifier later this week...thanks for asking

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Fund raising match between Burnley and Accrington Stanley...........
Last nights game finished Burnley 4 Accy Stanley 0 in this fund raising game held at turf moor official att 5,301 which is excellent considering the game was thrown to gether at short notice,somewhere in the region of £45k was raised ,which I'll verifier later this week...thanks for asking

It's imperative your club stays in the game, send a charity bucket down Withdean or something or alternatively ask Tony.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Any club is a business and must be run profitably (or have a rich benefactor),
A business must pay any due taxes or risk being wound up, now I know this is not the fans fault that the business is being inefficiently run, but I do find it strange how so many clubs are, Most owners have made money through business so should not be naive towards taxes, unless they want the club wound up....(Archer)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was once told it is no disgrace to be turned over once, a fool gets turned over twice and nobody should be turned over three times so perhaps this is why the IR are chasing their money as it isnt the first time. Very sad for supporters but that is the way big brother operates.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do find myself with mixed feelings. On the one hand this is Accrington Stanley we're talking about, a name woven into the fabric of football history along with flat caps, rattles, Bovril and smoking Woodbines on the terraces. I REALLY want them to survive and as was pointed out earlier it isn't the fans' fault they're in the shit (again). Shove a bucket in front of me and I'll chuck in all my change.

BUT once again we're being told it's all the fault of the 'previous chairman'. Every time a club gets into trouble it's always the previous chairman who gets the blame. Occasionally the previous chairman is a crook who wants the club to go bust so they can accquire the ground, but about 99% of the time they're just Peter Risdale clones who wanted the best for their clubs and simply made some appalling decisions. Usually these appalling decisions are signing crap players and paying them far more than they're worth in an attempt to get the club to punch above its weight (Leeds in the Champions' League, Stanley in the Football League). The money we're being asked to give is effectively to pay back the loans they took to pay the players' wages. And as we all know this isn't the first time this has happened to Stanley, so you think they might have learned from the past.

As I say I REALLY hope they survive, but collections, charity, 'save our club' campaigns and hoping the Inland Revenue will treat your football club differently that it would treat the local factory isn't in the long run doing football any favours.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
There is no certainty that these problems will never arise again.

This bit worries me. I'm not blaming the fans cos it's patently not their (your) fault, but surely Stanley of all clubs would realise the importance of living within their means?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Right now, IMO, the whys and wherefors are not relevent. Firstly, I hope Stanley survive, and OFS are making a contribution. Secondly, some of the comments on here are right, the club needs to move into a position where this never happens again. If fan power can help that, and let's face it, we know a thing ot two about that, then whoever is at the helm of the club when this is sorted, needs to make a strong commitment that it won't happen again. I know they had problems and went bust once before, but that was in the old days, football (especially the fans) is far more benign nowadays, and that alone could be just what teams like Stanley need. Good luck to them.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Another team punching above their weight spending money they don't have then? No sympathy here

you utter fool...do you know nothing about what Brighton went through in the late 80's & early 90's? :US:

That was partially because Brighton were a team "Punching above their weight" and tried to spend, spend, spend to stay in the First Division.

How would you have reacted if clubs had said that about us on Fans United day in 1997?

Do yourself a favour...check your facts about your own club before you start making ridiculous comments about others!

Oh and I'll be supporting Stanley in this...What you probably don't realise is that they were originally a league club before they got voted out of the league in 1978!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Shove a bucket in front of me and I'll chuck in all my change.

That is good advice. A couple of years ago we had people all over the country to raise awareness of our fight for a stadium, if you can get a couple of people outside most of the league grounds with a bucket I'm sure you'll add a few more grand to the total, I'd happily stick a few quid in. You'll get some good publicity out of it as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... Oh and I'll be supporting Stanley in this...What you probably don't realise is that they were originally a league club before they got voted out of the league in 1978!
Eh? What league were Stanley voted out of in 1978?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Another team punching above their weight spending money they don't have then? No sympathy here

Whilst it is not the fault of the supporters, I must totally agree with you.

The League needs new teams that reflect the current population, and not yet another club from some shite northern town - there are too many up there already.

Whatever the feelings about MK Dons, there should be a football team in that area. Too many of the lower league teams are representative of our industrial past, and do not reflect the current population patern.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Stanley resigned from the league in 1961-62....Sorry not 1978...I was confusing them with Southport who were replaced by Wigan. However, my point is the same...

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Some of these posts are truly unbelievable. Another fan has asked for our help like not so long ago we asked for their's and this is the response they get. Completely shocked.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Some of these posts are truly unbelievable. Another fan has asked for our help like not so long ago we asked for their's and this is the response they get. Completely shocked.

What he said, 'sake :down:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
What he said, 'sake :down:

I don't think anyone's showing anything but sympathy for the supporters - after all we've been closer that most to the brink.

HOWEVER football cannot go on as it is with clubs constantly spending outside their means, going bankrupt and then being saved, spending again and not paying off existing creditors such as HMRC, ambulances, schools and the like. It's not right and something needs to be done about it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think anyone's showing anything but sympathy for the supporters - after all we've been closer that most to the brink.

HOWEVER football cannot go on as it is with clubs constantly spending outside their means, going bankrupt and then being saved, spending again and not paying off existing creditors such as HMRC, ambulances, schools and the like. It's not right and something needs to be done about it.

I think you will find that if Stanley get through this the current owners will cut their cloth accordingly. Whilst I know what you are saying there is a very good history of clubs learning from their mistakes. Brighton being one, Aldershot, Leicester, Luton (I suspect) being others. Hopefuly the game is gradually learning, at least at the bottom end anyway.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Absolutely spot-on. With the possible exception of Springal I think everyone here is sympathetic, but there IS a bigger picture that needs looking at.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think you will find that if Stanley get through this the current owners will cut their cloth accordingly. Whilst I know what you are saying there is a very good history of clubs learning from their mistakes. Brighton being one, Aldershot, Leicester, Luton (I suspect) being others. Hopefuly the game is gradually learning, at least at the bottom end anyway.
I think you're making it sound too much like a Disney film where everybody learns their lesson in the end. Bradford City certainly didn't learn from their mistakes. Have we got to go through this with EVERY club?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think the explanation letter cited here was a more than adequate explanation for what has happened. Remember Stanley pretty much started from scratch and it costs a lot to run a club ... they became victims of their own success.

It is imperative that clubs like this (this isn't the same as Leeds you know) survive otherwise Brighton could well be next because we all know that the BIG clubs will never be allowed to go under.

I wonder how mnay of the people trying to take the financial high ground on this forum also hate MK Dons and love AFC Wimbledon..... that is called hypocrisy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports