Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rye, East Sussex.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Thanks, now going mad trying to remember them all without using "Street view"! I remember an ill advised pub crawl round Rye once - just.

Haven't drunk there for many a year but fave pub was the Ypres Inn just down from the Ypres Tower. John Ryan, the creator of Captain Pugwash lived nearby and it was his local, lucky chap. The menus in there were drawn by him and showed the good Captain sitting outside enjoying a flagon of ale. Saw Mr Ryan in there once enjoying an ale - he was very tall.

Ah, the good captain, brings back memories. The folks have got a hand-painted commission by John Ryan in the dining room. It makes me laugh - I had a colleague once who thought that the, er, two characters in Pugwash were completely innocent.

As for the pubs, coming from Rye, you have the one nearest to the old Rover garage (is that the Ypres Inn?), the Top O' the Hill, now something else, the Peace and Plenty, which I think has closed, the Playden Oasts, one at Peasmarsh (can't remember its name), the Cock as you go out of the village, the little one on its own with a big Harveys sign outside (again forgotten its name), two closed ones by the Kent and East Sussex Railway level crossing at Northiam, the White Hart at Newenden (sadly had a very off pint of Harveys there), the Swan at Sandhurst, and the Tudor Hotel (now closed, but reopened as a B&B, the Queens Hotel and Oak and Ivy at Hawkurst. I guess it was the main coaching road from London and that was why it was able to sustain so many pubs.

Last edited:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
For something to do during the school summer holidays in the sixties and in our early teens some friends and I decided to cycle to Rye down that road. We lived near Flimwell. Having got there we cycled home via Hastings and the A21. Wouldn't fancy it now.
There were at least a couple of pubs in Northiam (depending on the route taken) and, of course, the Oak and Ivy between Hawhurst and Sandhurst and the Harriers run by a couple of ladies between Sandhurst and Newenden. You would start with the Hare and Hounds on the crossroads at Flimwell.

For something to do during the school summer holidays in the sixties and in our early teens some friends and I decided to cycle to Rye down that road. We lived near Flimwell. Having got there we cycled home via Hastings and the A21. Wouldn't fancy it now.
There were at least a couple of pubs in Northiam (depending on the route taken) and, of course, the Oak and Ivy between Hawhurst and Sandhurst and the Harriers run by a couple of ladies between Sandhurst and Newenden. You would start with the Hare and Hounds on the crossroads at Flimwell.

Inspired by this thread we are off to Rye shortly - pub count will be posted later. Despite running throught the pubs in my head numerous times I had missed the "Oak and Ivy" - remembered the Harrier though. Our usual route cuts off Northiam.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Family used to own a pawn shop in Rye, Ypres Pub was a good one and the book Catcher in the Rye was a great read in them olden days.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What about The Standard, The Union, The Old Bell, The Cinqport Inn, The Queens Head, Pipe makers Inn, The George, The Ship Inn, The Crown Inn to name but a few in the town alone. There must be six or seven more I cannot name or forgotten.. quite impressive for a small town.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Funny story about Rye my brother in law lives on. He had his wifes family over from America and took them to Rye for the day, had a nice lunch and did loads of pubs. Just wandering down the road and Paul McCartney was walking towards them. Being a bit pissed he said "Hiya Paul how you doing" and McCartney answered "I'm great mate how you doingf" (or words to that effect). The Yanks were totally amazed and he did play on it. Yeah often bump into Paul and have a drink with him

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What about The Standard, The Union, The Old Bell, The Cinqport Inn, The Queens Head, Pipe makers Inn, The George, The Ship Inn, The Crown Inn to name but a few in the town alone. There must be six or seven more I cannot name or forgotten.. quite impressive for a small town.

If there isn't one called the Seven Seas, I'll be inhumanly disappointed.

The post many of you (well, possibly as many as two) have been waiting for! My on the ground research today reveals the following in order from Flimwell Crossroads on the A21.

Hare and Hounds. Long closed as a pub, now a furniture/antique store. Coming from the Ticehurst direction so didn't notice if the Royal Oak, around 300m north on the A21 is still going.
Sawyer's Arms. Approx midway bewtixt Hawkhurst Hospital and the Town/Village. Been closed very many years, the former pub sign now bears the Hawkhurst village sign.
Hawkhurst
Royal Oak . Despite being badly damaged in a fire a few years back still open.
Queen's Inn. Open. Nice looking building. Was/is owned by Stock, possibly Aitken but not Waterman.
Oak and Ivy. Open.
Sandhurst
The Swan (used to be the Canterbury Swan). Open, looks as thought it has escaped from a '50's housing estate.
The Harrier. Now a house.
Newenden.
The White Hart - Open.
Rother Valley Hotel - Now an Indian Restaurant although didn't seem to be much activity there when we passed by around lunchtime.
If you go via Northiam you could possibly add 2/3 more to the list but went t'other way via Beckley, therefore
Peasmarsh
The Cock Inn - Open
The Horse and Cart - looked as though it had been "done up" but closed and with "for sale" signs attached.
The Royal Oak. Open. Used to be a motel called "The Rumpels".
Rye Foreign
Hare and Hounds - looked as thought it was now a B & B rather than a pub.
Playden
The Peace and Plenty - seemed to have also gone the same way as the previous establishment.
Playden Oasts - Open
The Kings Head - Open. Now back to its original name after a spell as the "Top'o' the hill".
Rye
The Globe Inn the Marsh. Open. used to be just the "Globe". Fascinating fact: once sold them a globe via eBay.
The Bedford Arms. Open. Suspect it is a local pub for local people.
As we were headed to Rye Harbour for a stroll I will also include the Inkerman Arms and the William the Conqueror. Former open, didn't go down to check the other one but in view of its excellent location overlooking the harbour suspect it is still open.

Did pop back into Rye for a brief stroll and an ice cream. Still a large number of hostelries there, suspect a "pint in each pub" style crawl would involve serious liver damage and a visit to A and E or worse! It is still a lovely town though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here