Ryder Cup team

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Of course, in fact I think they've dedicated a whole channel for two weeks for it. I love Sky golf coverage, I know others don't.

Bloody joke. I don't know why I bother buying a tv licence as by all accounts SKY are after the British Open next year as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bloody joke. I don't know why I bother buying a tv licence as by all accounts SKY are after the British Open next year as well.

British Open?!? It's THE Open, the original.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's the British open not the 'OPEN'. Ask people what is the 'OPEN' and they'll probably say opening the door.

Incorrect.

The Open is the oldest of the four majors, and therefore the original. It is commonly referred to as the 'British' Open in America to distinguish it from the US Open.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

The quality and quantity of coverage that Sky can dedicate to an event like the Ryder Cup is immense. Having it on the BBC would diminish the whole experience MASSIVELY. Their coverage of The Open is quaint, but not on a par with what is available most weeks of the golfing season on Sky. And long may it continue that way.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
The quality and quantity of coverage that Sky can dedicate to an event like the Ryder Cup is immense. Having it on the BBC would diminish the whole experience MASSIVELY. Their coverage of The Open is quaint, but not on a par with what is available most weeks of the golfing season on Sky. And long may it continue that way.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the courage Sky do and think that they do a fantastic job but my gripe is they're taking everything, what next? Wimbledon.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Incorrect.

The Open is the oldest of the four majors, and therefore the original. It is commonly referred to as the 'British' Open in America to distinguish it from the US Open.

I always hear 'British Open' not just the 'Open'. Even in the tabloids they state the British Open.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm not disagreeing with you about the courage Sky do and think that they do a fantastic job but my gripe is they're taking everything, what next? Wimbledon.

I agree it's a shame. In an ideal world, the Beeb would have the resources to put on a similar production to what Sky manage. However, that's unfortunately not the case.

Wimbledon is an interesting one. Arguably, there isn't the consistent level of interest in tennis to make it worth Sky's while bidding for the coverage. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Sky at some point.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I always hear 'British Open' not just the 'Open'. Even in the tabloids they state the British Open.

The official website for the tournament is www.theopen.com , the home page is entitled The Open Championship and there's a big picture of Rory McIlroy holding the claret jug.

On the other hand, if you go to www.britishopen.co.uk You won't get a golf tournament but if you love brass bands you're in for a treat. www.britishopen.com will repoint you to the www.theopen.com website.

So it really IS the open despite what some lazy Americans might say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports