Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ryan: "I’ll fight my way back" (or maybe I should just bugger off)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Deserved better than he's got

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Didn’t Ryan insist he would need to leave anyway as he’s a ‘top 10’ keeper, so I’m sure they’ll be a queue of ‘top 10’ clubs waiting to snap him up..........
We’ll struggle to get a buyer and end up subbing 50% of wages when he’s loaned out towards the end of January.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If it came as a shock can I suggest he was too comfortable? It was a brave move by Potter as well as a risk but so far it’s paying off.

Can I just pre empt the “we still aren’t winning”, yes I know that but I don’t think that we have conceded a shot from outside the box since Sanchez came in?

Excellent news that he is willing to fight for his place though :thumbsup:

Also noticeable that Sanchez has off his line and caught more crosses in his short time in the team

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Potter has effectively told Ryan to "**** off and don't darken our doorstep again".

Going from first to third choice in a blink of an eye wouldn't go well for anyone.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Kick in the teeth to him really.

But that's the nature of football and he will get a new Club easily. Not sure I would have liked it put to me that way. Particularly the reason behind keeping Steele as No 2 keeper. That's like saying " a particular vest looks nicer than a different vests does". When both are worn underneath a Polo Neck Jumper

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The only way Ryan is getting back in the team is if Sanchez makes an absolute ricket (in fact, several rickets). It's a great shame, as I have absolutely loved his enthusiasm....but at the moment Sanchez looks a much better option. In fact, it's a massive plus that we seem to have succeeded in bringing a quality goalkeeper through the ranks. When did we last do that?
Don’t want to derail the thread, but wish we could bring a striker through the ranks. When was the last time we did that?

Agree on Ryan and Sanchez. I love seeing Ryan in the crowd at the end of games. Would love to see a crowd first up:)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Potter has effectively told Ryan to "**** off and don't darken our doorstep again".

Going from first to third choice in a blink of an eye wouldn't go well for anyone.

Potter hasn't effectively said this.

The first to third bit I agree with. To be below Steele is an unnecessary kick in the balls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're right of course but going from being a bonzer keeper to letting in half the shots you face wouldn't, either.

How's that different to Sanchez?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good to see it's suddenly switched to the same old same old Snide City on here re Maty Ryan, just like it was with Ashley Barnes before him. Same cheap shots from the hard of thinking

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can see him going to China to join Mooy

No chance... unless he gets Chinese citizenship or finds out a parent is Chinese

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No chance... unless he gets Chinese citizenship or finds out a parent is Chinese

Why is that? have the rules changed in China as loads of players now ply their way in the Chinese league they can't all be Chinese citizens or taken Chinese wives!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is that? have the rules changed in China as loads of players now ply their way in the Chinese league they can't all be Chinese citizens or taken Chinese wives!

China league doesn’t allow foreign goal keepers.

And also they’ve bought in salary caps for overseas players at £550k a year (£10k a week or so)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
China league doesn’t allow foreign goal keepers.

And also they’ve bought in salary caps for overseas players at £550k a year (£10k a week or so)

Oh well I was not aware of that I wonder if the wage is counter balanced with other perks and I wonder why keepers are allowed to play there

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I love the fact that some posters have taken this as another opportunity simply to bash potter with. If you simply take the words at face-value, he (POtter) has made a big call on who he wants as number 1. He has talked to the player face to face, and been clear on what he is doing. He knows that Ryan wants to play and will not be happy at No 2, the Jason Steele role. Allowing him to know that, so that a player can be ready to take advantage of an offer if it comes in, sounds like a decent thing to do. Sounds like good man-management to me - tough decision, communicated to the player himself, no public denouncement of the player or his form. Ryan has been a great servant to the Club and has been a huge hit with the fans. Sounds like he has been treated with as much dignity as possible albeit the outcome is undeniably tough for the individual to take.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm sure we felt the same when Ryan replaced Stockdale, The king is dead long live the king.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here