Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley - Gus can spot a player

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
After Navs and painter came on yesterday the Posh took control of the game ,Gus will slowly phase them both out of the squad, there defensive style of play does not win games.Fortunately they came on with only 15 minutes to play.

Maybe,however 4 clean sheets from 7 & only once have we conceded more than 1 goal in a game,does suggest balance is key.

Lush

Mods' Pet
After Navs and painter came on yesterday the Posh took control of the game ,Gus will slowly phase them both out of the squad, there defensive style of play does not win games.Fortunately they came on with only 15 minutes to play.

Navs and Painter came on?

Defensive style does not win games?

What are you talking about?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I enjoyed watching Mr Harley. When he gets completely match fit, and picks up the bits and pieces that we worked on in pre-season training (according to Gus's interview) he will be even better.

Absolutely. He could be the main man. Another massive improvement in player quality on top of previous massive improvements. What will next week bring ?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

You simply do not have a clue, do you? Are you aware that Painter is in fact our left-back, and played the whole 90 minutes? And as for defending not winning games, if we hadn't defended well yesterday we would not have won.

Credit to Gus Poyet, but let's not forget that we are now a VERY attractive club with formidable prospects.
Previous managers may well have been "able to spot talent" but had no way to bring them to the Albion, to Withdean, and in League 1.

Gus has an easier job persuading players here - and with the attendances and league position, there's little more that needs to be said.
Look at the league - would you as a player consider Burnley or Forest or Bristol City, if Brighton were interested?

GP and MT are lucky too, it's a no-brainer for them to stick with a winning hand. Yes, they helped make it happen, but they also ride the same convincing wave of white-lined-azure, good guys doing the good work they are capable of.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
don't get me wrong I like him and think he is going to be quality but will he prove to be something of a luxury player. When we are up against it he don't strike me as the sort of player willing to chase back and put his foot in so will be interesting if he starts the away games against the 'better' teams.
Probably wrong and he will make a game saving tackle now

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

Everything in this post is complete bollox, do you actually know anything about football??

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Hopefully his signing means that more free kicks within about 25-30 yards to goal will be put straight in instead of trying clever little moves.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I said we should get him when we played exeter away last season. I think if we don't want lua lua at the end of his loan, we should get tomlin.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Superb free kick yesterday. Only negative is IMO he holds onto the ball a bit too long on some occasions when he could release it. I'm sure Gus will pick up on this and it may just even be the case of gelling with the team a bit more and learning our style of play. Looks promising for sure.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Harley scored load of goals for Exeter and was best player in their side, he's a great signing. This demonstrates the reason that Stephenson did not survive his probationary period, in the end it was Gus and his contacts who got him here, pretty much the same as CMS. Gus is very very persuasive and knows exactly the type of player he wants, turning down some high quality players knocking at our door as they do not fit our style of play or because we have in-depth first class competition for so many positions.

Hopefully they will get Forster Caskey out on loan to gain some league experience as he should definitely be in the mix sometime soon too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the 1st time in my memory we have a squad where every single outfield player is quality. No poor players and no players just making up the numbers.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Look at the league - would you as a player consider Burnley or Forest or Bristol City, if Brighton were interested?

You make a very good point there NMH, it may sound like stating the bleeding obvious, but this is probably the easiest Brighton have ever had it when trying to attract talented players to the club.

You make a very good point there NMH, it may sound like stating the bleeding obvious, but this is probably the easiest Brighton have ever had it when trying to attract talented players to the club.

Sometimes the obvious can be shadowed by the euphoria - which we are entitled to relish.
The Gus bus does have an amazing allure though - and like money begats money, so does success attract more success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here