Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RWC how close they came

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And unless the Aussie is judged to have tried to play the ball it's still a penalty. I think.

That's correct,'intent' is the key word. Even if they could have gone to the TMO they'd have been discussing it until a week next Tuesday as it was utterly unclear. Hastings et al bleating about Joubert running off, that's just sour grapes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was gutted for the jocks: I don't have any Scottish blood in me but was cheering like a demented banshee when they scored their try at the end. It's really tough to have beaten by a dodgy decision.

But I do find it pretty poor that so many pundits (including the Scottish coach) are moaning that it should have been referred to TMO. I'm no expert but even I knew that wasn't an option. Perhaps players and coaching staff should take a bit of an effort to know the laws of the game, particularly if they're earning fair coin as an 'expert'. Imagine the furore if someone turned up on MOTD not knowing the offside law.

And, while gutting the Scots, it's absolutely right that TMOs are reserved for tries and foul play. If every penalty was referred to TMO, we'd be getting games lasting three hour - personally, I think there are too many replays as it is

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bottom line is that a better line out results in no knock on. Easy to blame the ref but poor execution of the play was ultimately to blame.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Scotland :lolol:

As a non supporting, zero rugby interest onlooker I still do love to see the sweaties beaten at anything and the harsher and more heartbreaking the better.

I've had to endure weeks of holier than thou preaching from shouty rugby fans desperate to tell me how much better it is than football and how football could learn so much from rugby because no one argues with the ref and its all about respect etc. Headlines this morning? All and sundry haggis eaters bitching and spewing vitriol on the referee! Welcome to our world eggchasers.

I really dont get rugby fans insistence on comparing the two sports, as far as I'm concerned you may as well compare rugby with tennis or alpine snowboarding! The only similarities are that rugby and football are played in stadiums on a grass pitch, other than that the two are completely different including the reasons why people choose to watch one over the other and yes I appreciate some people like both. Rugby fans can harp on and on (and by god they really do) about how great it is and why I should watch it but its just not going to happen I'd rather watch my own fingernails grow ** Caveat - Or Scotland lose, at anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poland last week, Australia yesterday, and any number of "heartbreaking" defeats over the years.

England can hardy crow after this World Cup, but NOBODY does glorious failure quite as well as the scotch. They've got it off to a fine art :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"That is the worst thing I have seen on a rugby field in a very long time. He is not prepared to face up to the players, that is not rugby and that is not the spirit of rugby. He should be sent home tomorrow, he should be punished and he should not be allowed to make an international rugby commitment again. He should be suspended upside down from the rafters and beaten to death with his own shoes" Hastings added.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Imagine the furore if someone turned up on MOTD not knowing the offside law.

Like the MotD commentator insisting that Raheem Sterling's tap in on Saturday was offside, even though the keeper was on his line, and a defender was sat on his arse next to the goal post?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"That is the worst thing I have seen on a rugby field in a very long time. He is not prepared to face up to the players, that is not rugby and that is not the spirit of rugby. He should be sent home tomorrow, he should be punished and he should not be allowed to make an international rugby commitment again. " Hastings added.

Quick, call him a WAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance.

Yes Gav - the ref trotting off the pitch was definitely WORSE than seeing your fellow (always respectful) professionals try to gouge someone's eye out, punching each other in the face, tackling them round the neck, or lifting them off the floor and spearing them into the ground, with a risk of putting them in a wheelchair. DEFINITELY.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Quick, call him a WAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance.

Yes Gav - the ref trotting off the pitch was definitely WORSE than seeing your fellow (always respectful) professionals try to gouge someone's eye out, punching each other in the face, tackling them round the neck, or lifting them off the floor and spearing them into the ground, with a risk of putting them in a wheelchair. DEFINITELY.

but he didnt trot off the pitch ....he sprinted off a fully 40 yards...as said, not even bothering to wait for his assistants....and its not only Hastings that mentioned it but Matt Dawson too....for all the blood and thunder of the game it also offers the other side ...the hand shakes between players after the game et al....Joubert's behaviour was totally wrong...the one positive thing it might do is deflect from a poor Scottish thrown in prior the the penalty...the guy who did that must be feeling as sick as a pig

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I very much looked to me like the Australian player batted the ball towards the scottish player so you could claim content. Sadly this was not a decision that comes under the remit of the TMO, so whilst the ref gave, imo, the wrong decision he was correct to not refer it. The fact that he sprinted of suggested that he knew he got it wrong. Hard luck Scotland, very unlucky indeed, and kudos for dignity in the face of what was undoubtedly a mugging by an incompetent official.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did I read somewhere that teams from the northern hemisphere lost all their games against Southern Hemisphere sides?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Did I read somewhere that teams from the northern hemisphere lost all their games against Southern Hemisphere sides?

Yeah, but the Northern Hemisphere won the Ashes, Premier League, SuperBowl, FA Cup, World Series *and* GBBO. So I think we know the REAL winners in life.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Unless we include Fiji, that's correct.

Japan lost to SA
Argentina lost to NZ

Wales (Aus & SA), Scotland (SA & Aus), England (Aus), France (NZ), Ireland (Argentina) have all lost.

Dreadful that no Northern Hemisphere team is in the semi's in a Northern Hemisphere world cup.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What a truly stunning set of quater finals.

Only one of them was a "non-contest" that was purely because NZ were just utterly MAGNIFICENT.

Football will always be my first love, but I will be SHOCKED if I ever see 4 games in the quater finals of a football WC come even close to those.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If it had been England v Australia, I'm 100% sure all the Scots would have been cheering for the Aussies.

The fact that the Scotland team all wore Australia scarves to the 1991 World Cup final tells you all you need to know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here