Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rutland

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Off there for a week next month with the better half. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do would be much appreciated.

Much love.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Dont blink, you'll miss it

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I know that Rutlands claim to fame is it was the only county in England not to have a direct train service to London (I think Shropshire may share that honour now).

We went to Leicestersire last year and had a blast.

Did a stadium tour of the hugely impressive Walkers Stadium, went to the Space Museum in Leicester, had a curry on Leicesters infamous 'curry mile' and went to Melton Mowbray to see how pork pies are made.

Mar 13, 2012
A week! If you are feeling energetic hire a couple of bikes and get out and about - Good circuit around Rutland Water reservoir. Not technically in Rutland, but Stamford is on the borders and is a charming old town with lots of history and pubs and more interesting than Oakham - It really depends what you are into - Burghley House (home of famous Horse trials) is a fine Elizabethan house. Not too far from a number of other larger towns, such as Peterborough and Leicester. If you are missing your football try Stamford Town, winners of the 1980 FA Vase!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Some of my ancesters came from Belton in Rutland I belive they were the second biggest land owners in the village next to the Duke of Rutland. visited the village and meet with local historians who new of my familey name. All I could find was grave stones and plaques on Church walls with there names on them. They seemed to have all died out. Still researching my family history. Just hope I don't find any Palace in my blood.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I used to be based up there when in Her Majesties Forces (RAF North Luffenham) ... Oakham back then used to be referred to Oakham where you poke'em ....
Rutland Water is quite nice if the weather is kind to you (I think you can hire pushbikes and cycle round the man made lake). Burleigh House is nearby (Stamford) if Kulture is your thing.... mind you they might be a bit busy with the current horse trials (thats a joke by the way) Back then the good thing about Stamford was market day ... this was long before pubs opened all day ... we used to come off a night shift and "hit the town" aka spend the day in the pub.
The following might give you a couple of ideas perhaps http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/the-midlands/leicestershire-and-rutland/things-to-do
If Aviation is your thing there a museum at Newark ...
The area didnt really suit me at the age of 19 but a good few years on I might well appreciate it more for what it offers - ie doing nothing!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Whereabouts in Rutland are you going? I live here. Anything you want to know just ask.

Staying in Oakham and using it as a base to explore the rest of the county.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Back in the early 80's I went on a tour of the Ruddles brewery which I'm sure was at Rutland Water. Great half day out except ended up going around with a bunch of slightly "stuck up" Radio 4 presenters. I imagine it's still there?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Stayed in Stamford a few years ago. Some good restaurants in the area. Burleigh is worth a visit. Nene Valley Steam railway to Peterborough if you're into that. Melton Mowbray if you want a pie .....

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Cycling around the lake (bike hire on both shores). 17 miles all the way round but shorter routes available. Very good birdwatching from hides around the lake (bit too early for the nesting Ospreys). Normanton Hotel good for food. Church Museum on shoreline worth a quick visit. Good tea shops in Oakham.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I used to be based up there when in Her Majesties Forces (RAF North Luffenham) ... Oakham back then used to be referred to Oakham where you poke'em ....
Rutland Water is quite nice if the weather is kind to you (I think you can hire pushbikes and cycle round the man made lake). Burleigh House is nearby (Stamford) if Kulture is your thing.... mind you they might be a bit busy with the current horse trials (thats a joke by the way) Back then the good thing about Stamford was market day ... this was long before pubs opened all day ... we used to come off a night shift and "hit the town" aka spend the day in the pub.
The following might give you a couple of ideas perhaps http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/the-midlands/leicestershire-and-rutland/things-to-do
If Aviation is your thing there a museum at Newark ...
The area didnt really suit me at the age of 19 but a good few years on I might well appreciate it more for what it offers - ie doing nothing!!

Now that brings back memories during the RAF basic training camping on North Luffenham in November and yomping around Rutland Water carrying a stretcher - not my idea of fun.

Back in the early 80's I went on a tour of the Ruddles brewery which I'm sure was at Rutland Water. Great half day out except ended up going around with a bunch of slightly "stuck up" Radio 4 presenters. I imagine it's still there?

A very good brewery trip with as much pork pie as you could eat thrown in, if my memory serves me well it was in Melton Mowbray.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Cheers for the tips guys, sounds like I'm going to have a blast. Can't wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here