Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russia v Uruguay

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Lots of telly talk towards the end of Russia getting a 'Reality Check' today. Couldn't help but think all such comments may well apply to England after the Belgium game. Only so many patsies you can knock down before you run up against a bit of quality. Should be very interesting.
Resting players and a weird interest in the result.....might not be a good guide

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Hardly a surprise, it is pretty well documented that Russia were worried they might not get any results this tournament. I didn't think they were awful, red card finished them off and they did well not to implode. Clearly aren't going to get past Spain/Portugal, but in comparison to the Egypt v Saudi Arabia game where both teams (especially Egypt) were beyond dire, they can clearly be competitive in the knockout game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quantity of "faking" yes, but the "quality" of faking is still this incident. Not sure this can ever be topped, and for such a GREAT player, this is always my abiding memory of him.

Yep that was incredible, and permanently tarnished the reputation of one of the great players of our era.

[yt]dJa1dvEjBfg[/yt]

I also remember this from Slaven Bilic in the 1998 World Cup (see at around 44 seconds). Laurent Blanc was actually suspended from the World Cup Final for that. It was the only red card of his career. Absolutely shameful from Bilic.

“I have not changed my version [of events],” he told Le Parisien. “As on all corners, I was marking Laurent Blanc. Nothing had happened between us during the whole game. Then, out of nowhere, he hit me. It wasn’t like Mike Tyson, but I was struck.

“I panicked and collapsed. Why did I panic ? Because only one thing mattered; not to get a yellow card because I would have been suspended since taking a booking against Romania in the previous round.

“I’m sorry that Laurent missed the final, genuinely, but the one to blame is him.”

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If only VAR had been about back then

I remember that in the build-up to that World Cup, FIFA made some vacuous statement about cracking down on diving and they would be prepared to dish out retrospective punishments. This happened fairly early on and gave FIFA the perfect opportunity to make an example of him, and show that they are not afraid to ban anyone, regardless of who they are or who they play for.

I believe he got a £5,000 fine, while the guy who threw the ball at him while he was time wasting in stoppage time, and was sent off, didn't have the card rescinded as it was second yellow.

Perfect opportunity to make a real stance against this sort of :censored: and FIFA completely blew it. Of course.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Two late, late goals in today’s games again, I love this World Cup. I only had a fiver on each though, still35 quid to the good though.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Lots of telly talk towards the end of Russia getting a 'Reality Check' today. Couldn't help but think all such comments may well apply to England after the Belgium game. Only so many patsies you can knock down before you run up against a bit of quality. Should be very interesting on Thursday.

Very true but you have to enjoy it while it lasts because it's so unusual for us to have something to cheer about at major tournaments.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Lots of telly talk towards the end of Russia getting a 'Reality Check' today. Couldn't help but think all such comments may well apply to England after the Belgium game. Only so many patsies you can knock down before you run up against a bit of quality. Should be very interesting on Thursday.

I think you may be on to something here, but, in all honesty, if we blow up, lose 5-0 to Belgium, and lose to our round of 16 opponents, whoever them may be, we will still have progressed further in this World Cup, than Scotland have in their history, ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you may be on to something here, but, in all honesty, if we blow up, lose 5-0 to Belgium, and lose to our round of 16 opponents, whoever them may be, we will still have progressed further in this World Cup, than Scotland have in their history, ever.

Didn't Scotland win the WC in 1978?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The "arrogance" and "over-hyped" cards are always played against England and England supporters, and some of it has been fair (although driven by the media) but having watched that recent documentary about Argentina 1978, I have never seen a mob as arrogant as Scotland - from the management and players to the supporters. It was simply breathtaking - the players didn't know anything about any of the Peru & Iran players, the manager didn't even bother looking at either of them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The "arrogance" and "over-hyped" cards are always played against England and England supporters, and some of it has been fair (although driven by the media) but having watched that recent documentary about Argentina 1978, I have never seen a mob as arrogant as Scotland - from the management and players to the supporters. It was simply breathtaking - the players didn't know anything about any of the Peru & Iran players, the manager didn't even bother looking at either of them.

I watched the Iran game in an Edinburgh boozer, an interesting evening, to say the least:eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A month before the 1978 WC, as a kid, I watched on the TV a superior England win 1-0 at Hampden Park thanks to a Coppell goal.

The writing was on the wall.

I actually wanted Scotland to succeed, loving the quality playing in England (Hartford, Gemmill, Dalglish, Rioch, Souness, etc).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here