[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
One for the drone fans.

'Drones currently kill more soldiers from both sides than anything else'
'We used to reserve our FPV drones for armoured vehicles. Now we can afford to send out three to chase down one Russian soldier'.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Bad news in the East. And it's estimated Russia fires 100 glide bombs daily across the front line ☹️. Some good news is needed.
BBC News - Russians simply walked in, Ukraine troops in Kharkiv tell BBC - BBC News
Compare today’s news with Friday’s news, the US seems to be working on different timescales to the reality in Ukraine - political or intelligence failure? A bit of both maybe? There is literally no sense of the scale of urgency in Ukraine’s situation in the statement from the White House:

“It is possible that Russia will make further advances in the coming weeks, but we do not anticipate any major breakthroughs,” Kirby said. “And over time, the influx of U.S. assistance will enable Ukraine to withstand these attacks over the course of 2024.”

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Compare today’s news with Friday’s news, the US seems to be working on different timescales to the reality in Ukraine - political or intelligence failure? A bit of both maybe? There is literally no sense of the scale of urgency in Ukraine’s situation in the statement from the White House:

“It is possible that Russia will make further advances in the coming weeks, but we do not anticipate any major breakthroughs,” Kirby said. “And over time, the influx of U.S. assistance will enable Ukraine to withstand these attacks over the course of 2024.”

Yes, @Zeberdi , it often feels political to me. Drip feed Ukraine; let Russia make small inroads and lose some troops and hardware; supply more to Ukraine so they can fight back...
The problem of course is that Ukraine is on the back foot along much of the front line and has very limited resources ... especially troop numbers.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I’m in Budapest on holiday. I was disappointed by the lack of Ukrainian flags on display, but this afternoon there was a march attended by loads of Ukrainian people, dressed in national costume. They gathered outside St Stephen’s Basilica, and played their traditional music, sang and listened to pro Ukrainian speeches. Slava Ukraini !

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m in Budapest on holiday. I was disappointed by the lack of Ukrainian flags on display, but this afternoon there was a march attended by loads of Ukrainian people, dressed in national costume. They gathered outside St Stephen’s Basilica, and played their traditional music, sang and listened to pro Ukrainian speeches. Slave Ukraini !
Orban’s backyard innit, loves Putin (and his cash) so probably arrests anyone with a Ukrainian flag

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Now on BBC. Leaky defence I imagine, and a number of own goals 😉.
This is one of those moments when idle speculation is thoroughly enjoyable, as any or all theories could easily be true.

Leaky defence? Check.
Own goals, most recently Belgorod? The timing fits nicely, doesn't it?
Shoigu's deputy Ivanov recently accused of taking bribes? Oh no, surely not this one. Taking bribes is compulsory in Russia.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pretty obvious that replacing a military man with a economist is not going to help miltary strategy. either he's there for the whole country to a war economy, or someone who'll follow a more direct input from Putin. which doesn't usually go well. interesting to see analysis in the coming days, with speculation of what this means for Putin powerbase, how it plays out with others.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’m in Budapest on holiday. I was disappointed by the lack of Ukrainian flags on display, but this afternoon there was a march attended by loads of Ukrainian people, dressed in national costume. They gathered outside St Stephen’s Basilica, and played their traditional music, sang and listened to pro Ukrainian speeches. Slava Ukraini !
Lovely city, hope you enjoyed the visit 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports