[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
One of the only things the Tories have said for years that I agree with is that we can’t get complacent about China. All eyes are on Russia, perfect for China to make their move. Even then I think any party in power would’ve said the same. Historically China makes it move when attentions are focused elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
China should face sanctions.

Globalisation which everyone loved or was indifferent about over the last 25 years …. cheaper material things …. delivered China an economic miracle. Giving untold wealth to build a vast military backed by hardware, and ambitions to usurp the West. [Only the UK Greens were against it, on the grounds on a never ending spiral of commodities to plastic to waste].

Now they have a burgeoning alliance with oddballs like Modi, Putin and furtive Ramaphosa. With dozens of other countries tied to their development loans with political strings attached.

Somehow the Pacific nations and the West needs to regain independence with a manufacturing base again.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
One of the only things the Tories have said for years that I agree with is that we can’t get complacent about China. All eyes are on Russia, perfect for China to make their move. Even then I think any party in power would’ve said the same. Historically China makes it move when attentions are focused elsewhere.
Neither can Putin be complacent. China has already spoken of regaining the territories it lost in the Amur annexation between 1858 and 1860, when it lost (to Russia) an area three times the size of Great Britain.

I suspect China is in favour of a slow, managed decline in Russian influence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've said for a long time it's China the world need to keep in its sights, and be worried about.

The way they run their country says it all.

Same here. LBC covered this a few years ago, in phone ins callers were en masse contrarian Chinese belligerently trying to obliterate the subject matter with a pro Xi line …. to me it was obvious they were planted by their state propaganda machine. Not picked up by the presenters?

MI6 say the same as you.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They have found mines at the plant but don't believe they would compromise it's safety (!). They still need access to the roofs of reactors...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Globalisation which everyone loved or was indifferent about over the last 25 years …. cheaper material things …. delivered China an economic miracle. Giving untold wealth to build a vast military backed by hardware, and ambitions to usurp the West. [Only the UK Greens were against it, on the grounds on a never ending spiral of commodities to plastic to waste].

Now they have a burgeoning alliance with oddballs like Modi, Putin and furtive Ramaphosa. With dozens of other countries tied to their development loans with political strings attached.

Somehow the Pacific nations and the West needs to regain independence with a manufacturing base again.
Definitely - our reduced manufacturing base will come back to haunt us if we (the West) don't fix it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think there is more to it than Russia weaponising food and hoping for a famine.

Having tried - and failed - to weaponise oil and gas, and destroy Ukraine's infrastructure, it has now moved on to plan C.

It is trying to destroy the Ukrainian economy, by stopping Ukraine's ability to trade.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think there is more to it than Russia weaponising food and hoping for a famine.

Having tried - and failed - to weaponise oil and gas, and destroy Ukraine's infrastructure, it has now moved on to plan C.

It is trying to destroy the Ukrainian economy, by stopping Ukraine's ability to trade.
It will be interesting to see:
a) how much the EU can and will help export the grain through EU territory
b) whether Turkey follows up it's 'threat' to protect the grain ships from Ukraine (I'm suspecting not ... at the moment)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's a detailed analysis of yesterday's activities from DD:
. Some Ukrainian advances in the south and east
. Russian advance repelled in the north east
. Ukrainian shells hit Crimean targets, and drones hit in Moscow
. another general killed 👏
. Chinese support of Russia
....worth a listen, I find him straight forward (thanks to the member that highlighted these blogs)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Neither can Putin be complacent. China has already spoken of regaining the territories it lost in the Amur annexation between 1858 and 1860, when it lost (to Russia) an area three times the size of Great Britain.

I suspect China is in favour of a slow, managed decline in Russian influence.
Yes I’m sure China would like a slow decline of Russia whilst supporting it enough to keep the west mired in a lengthy war

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just thought I'd bump this thread as mulitple sources reported breakthroughs on the Southern front in the last few days. If as reported, they have reached the main defensive line for the first time, a breach here could really open up the opportunity to split the Russian forces with a drive to the coast
My hope is that Russians have been sending most of the troops in the rear defence lines to plug gaps in the first line. They can't report bad news upwards so have kept doing this.

Once the first line is breached hopefully it is just cardboard cut outs manning the 2nd and 3rd line defences.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And of course every Ukraine advance allows them to put their greater range artillery systems further forward, which pushes Russian logistics further back.

Ukraine seem to be doing well. But very hard days still lie ahead

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
(Obviously ignore the car symbol), for the first time Ukrainian forces have probed through all defensive lines in a sector, creating panic. They’re finding Russian conscripts with horrific injuries, yet more cannon fodder to Putin.

IMG_0159.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports