Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is certainly true of those nations with ex-Soviet equipment knocking about which can quickly go into service. You can understand why the US has to announce fancy new kit to avoid any escalation issues, but Poland should be free to hand over as many Soviet helicopters as they can find.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Re: booing of Azarenka at Wimbledon yesterday.

It irks me that the press and personalities involved are all implying that it's the player
they're booing for not shaking hands with Svitolina. Nonsense. I don't think anyone holds a
personal grudge against the Belarusian player. I thought it was nice that Azarenka actually
turned round to acknowledge Svitolina.

Maybe the crowd are booing a disgusting dictator and disgusting regime that helped Putin launch his joke of
an invasion attempt and continues to support Putin.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Re: booing of Azarenka at Wimbledon yesterday.

It irks me that the press and personalities involved are all implying that it's the player
they're booing for not shaking hands with Svitolina. Nonsense. I don't think anyone holds a
personal grudge against the Belarusian player. I thought it was nice that Azarenka actually
turned round to acknowledge Svitolina.

Maybe the crowd are booing a disgusting dictator and disgusting regime that helped Putin launch his joke of
an invasion attempt and continues to support Putin.
It could be as you say. It's also very possible that a lot of the crowd are unaware of Svitolina's position...that she (quite reasonably IMO) refuses to shake the hand of any Russian or Belarussisn while any part of Ukraine remains occupied.
Svitolina has made this clear on her social media and in press conferences, but a lot of the crowd will remain ignorant.
You are right: Azarenka acknowledged her victory before leaving the court.
I am 101% pro Ukraine, and pleased that Svitolina won, but I think she missed an opportunity to clarify her position to the crowd in her on court interview.
An unfortunate end to a great tennis match.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It could be as you say. It's also very possible that a lot of the crowd are unaware of Svitolina's position...that she (quite reasonably IMO) refuses to shake the hand of any Russian or Belarussisn while any part of Ukraine remains occupied.
Svitolina has made this clear on her social media and in press conferences, but a lot of the crowd will remain ignorant.
You are right: Azarenka acknowledged her victory before leaving the court.
I am 101% pro Ukraine, and pleased that Svitolina won, but I think she missed an opportunity to clarify her position to the crowd in her on court interview.
An unfortunate end to a great tennis match.
Good points Raymondo. Totally agree.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Watch today's Reporting From Ukraine video and you'll see that Ukraine seems to have modified S-200 rockets to give them a 400km range. If this is true either the Kerch bridge is coming down, or russia will be moving a ton of resources towards the bridge to defend it (preferably both) Either scenario is great for Ukraine

An interesting development 👍. I heard yesterday that the Kerch bridge had been hit by a 'rocket'. The video makes sense of it.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The first two pieces of news below give a sense of some long term commitment to Ukraine.
The third piece is, as DD says, just some demilitarisation.
Hope all three pieces are true.

1689017066346.png

1689017129793.png

1689017200209.png

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
An interesting development 👍. I heard yesterday that the Kerch bridge had been hit by a 'rocket'. The video makes sense of it.
Yeah. Its a great overview of what's happening daily.

I think the kerch bridge rocket was unfortunately shot down on this occasion, but if they're determined, Shirley it's a matter of when not if.

Send 10 at once and let's see what happens.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The first two pieces of news below give a sense of some long term commitment to Ukraine.
The third piece is, as DD says, just some demilitarisation.
Hope all three pieces are true.

View attachment 163381
View attachment 163382

View attachment 163383
I reckon that was Budanov and Ukraine military intelligence. They said a while ago that similar to Mossad, they'd hunt down and liquidate all those that have targeted Ukrainian civillians and will do so for as long as it takes.....

Bayraktar plant and a German Infantry fighting vehicles plant too, plus whilst South Korea won't directly supply weaponry (its pretty advanced stuff) they're happy to sell components and for others to assemble...... both Poles and Turks have ordered a massive amount of S.Koean tanks/IFV and howitzer type cannons and are assembling and transferring to Ukraine, all whilst Russia is rapidly running out of its soviet era 152mm Artillery.

They started with 13m have allegedly fired 10m and ability to replenish is curtailed with only 1 soviet era production factory with severely limited output.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last night I was introduced by the Ukrainian addition within our family, to a load of Ukrainian teens in Brighton who can sing. Crikey, the voices of angels :bowdown: .
Formal training back in Kyiv apparently, before the illegal war.

They perform across Sussex at regular events. I think we’ll start supporting one or two events.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Indeed. Another body blow to Putin.
Erdoğan also said that if Russia doesn't renew the grain deal that allows safe passage of Ukrainian export grain (essential for 3rd world and used as leverage by Russia), Turkey will still guarantee safety and Turkish ships will police it. As well as him releasing all the commanders of Azov, who were meant to stay in Turkey till end of war in a deal he brokered and has now broken and let them return to Ukraine. Russia is spitting feathers about the azov guys being given back.

That's a big f*** you to Putin.

Erdoğan is looking like he's picking a side and now Putin will have to kneel in front of the Sultan!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I reckon that was Budanov and Ukraine military intelligence. They said a while ago that similar to Mossad, they'd hunt down and liquidate all those that have targeted Ukrainian civillians and will do so for as long as it takes.....

Bayraktar plant and a German Infantry fighting vehicles plant too, plus whilst South Korea won't directly supply weaponry (its pretty advanced stuff) they're happy to sell components and for others to assemble...... both Poles and Turks have ordered a massive amount of S.Koean tanks/IFV and howitzer type cannons and are assembling and transferring to Ukraine, all whilst Russia is rapidly running out of its soviet era 152mm Artillery.

They started with 13m have allegedly fired 10m and ability to replenish is curtailed with only 1 soviet era production factory with severely limited output.
Feels like Turkey are throwing themselves into Ukrainian support more...possibly wanting EU membership from the outcome (??)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Feels like Turkey are throwing themselves into Ukrainian support more...possibly wanting EU membership from the outcome (??)
They defintely want EU. Today they said they'd only admit Sweden into NATO if they're looked at by EU.

Erdoğan is a strongman, he senses Putin is a weak busted flush, who ran away when Prigorzhin came, and he acts accordingly. Ultimately there's a lot more to be gained from a renewed NATO, a United EU and influence in Ukraine versus a failing dictatorship outcast run by a scared fascist war criminal.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They defintely want EU. Today they said they'd only admit Sweden into NATO if they're looked at by EU.

Erdoğan is a strongman, he senses Putin is a weak busted flush, who ran away when Prigorzhin came, and he acts accordingly. Ultimately there's a lot more to be gained from a renewed NATO, a United EU and influence in Ukraine versus a failing dictatorship outcast run by a scared fascist war criminal.
As an aside, will be interesting to watch for flair ups in Syria now. Turkey has some camps/bases in the north I believe and there was a report that one of those was attacked yesterday... by whom though?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've read the BBC update now - brilliant news. And Stoltenberg does a terrific job👏👏👏
Ah, thanks for the pointer. Until I had read that, I didn't know what you were all talking about !
Yes, that's a big deal. I understand Sweden's military is highly regarded, so their contribution to NATO will be valuable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here