Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
ZSU ukrainian MOD just put of this tweet in English with Zelensky speaking in Ukrainian. (Can't understand the main man) but the English tweet is both worrying and not surprising.

Version of Video with English translation.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
ZSU ukrainian MOD just put of this tweet in English with Zelensky speaking in Ukrainian. (Can't understand the main man) but the English tweet is both worrying and not surprising.

I can believe 100% that Russia is considering it, and will have tentative plans to carry it out. As already said, Russia must have been warned by the US/NATO of the consequences if they do so (🤞🤞).
Just to remind all that even if the prevailing wind was a Westerly (heading toward Russia) it would pass directly over sovereign Ukrainian territory and civilians.
Also lets remember that, according to many reports, the Russians f*cked up their explosion of the Kakhovka dam, their intention possibly to have been less damage (I don't know the truth of this). They are therefore quite able to f*ck up an attack on the nuclear power station.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
More than 8 explosions rock Melitopol and I'm not saying this is new but I find it interesting that ISW has Melitopol marked as Partisan warfare on the interactive map of Ukraine (I haven't looked at the map before - they don't have any other large area marked with this designation so it seems big to me)
Yes, that's interesting. I think they've labelled Melitopol (wider area) with reported partisan activity for some time now ,- I guess the activity is enough for them to do this. Some around Tokmak also.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're right and you're wrong. Let me explain.

Here is the event timeline:

Lies -----> 'Special military operation' and more lies --------> Sanctions and more lies

So you're right in that the sanctions are a result of Russia's invasion. But you're wrong in saying that they aren't a result of the lies.

It makes no difference whether or not Russia lied before, during, or after they invaded.

If they didn't lie, if they said yes, we're invading, they would have been warned that there would be a response and that there would be sanctions. And those sanctions would have started when they invaded. The sanctions are directly linked to their actions, regardless of whether they lied or not.

The lies didn't just come with the invasion. They caused it. The invasion is just a product of a culture of lying, which you said has been going for at least 100 years. You were right. Putin had been doing the groundwork for the invasion for years - with the annexation of Crimea and the de-stabilisation of Donbas, ostensibly to protect ethnic Russians from persecution.

Today, his 3-day special military operation is 16 months old, and has highlighted and showcased to the world the old lies, and each day's fresh batch of new lies.

This was my original point. The whole world is now aware of Russian lying, more than ever before. This is the lasting legacy of the Russian regime.

I understand what you're saying there, but as I replied originally, unfortunately I don't think it makes any difference that the world knows they're lying. The world as a whole doesn't care. Democratic countries that try and operate without corruption are in the minority. You think that Russia will continue to be sanctioned in the future because of their lies, and I disagree. Take China: they bought the WHO (world health organisation) and then hid the truth behind Covid. It may well have been created in a lab, but China will do everything possible to stop the rest of the world from testing the original source. That has resulted in the deaths of millions of people - many many more than caused by Russia's war, and China just lies about it all. And what is the world doing about China's lies? Nothing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It makes no difference whether or not Russia lied before, during, or after they invaded.

If they didn't lie, if they said yes, we're invading, they would have been warned that there would be a response and that there would be sanctions. And those sanctions would have started when they invaded. The sanctions are directly linked to their actions, regardless of whether they lied or not.

I understand what you're saying there, but as I replied originally, unfortunately I don't think it makes any difference that the world knows they're lying. The world as a whole doesn't care. Democratic countries that try and operate without corruption are in the minority. You think that Russia will continue to be sanctioned in the future because of their lies, and I disagree. Take China: they bought the WHO (world health organisation) and then hid the truth behind Covid. It may well have been created in a lab, but China will do everything possible to stop the rest of the world from testing the original source. That has resulted in the deaths of millions of people - many many more than caused by Russia's war, and China just lies about it all. And what is the world doing about China's lies? Nothing.
I think we've come full circle back to our original arguments.

This is a good point at which to agree to disagree.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Kazakhstan going all anti Russia these days!

Early on in the war, Russia approached Kazakhstan to provide troops for Russia's war effort.
Kazakhstan said 'nah'.

This new 'unfriendly action' by Kazakhstan, will have alerted China.
How will Russia respond? My guess is with a considered, measured, classy diplomatic response.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Waiting/hoping on a Trump victory Nov'24, so that Putin's mate plays the purported 'isolationist' card.
Absolutely - this is Putin's only chance and only realistic strategy.

But strategists will have planned to have downgraded the Russian army by the maximum before then ( see the number of troops and armour they tricked Putin into sacrificing at Bakhmut ).

So even if Putin wriggles out of it through Trump, the Russian army will be dust by then.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have heard a lot about this spring/summer offensive being about huge gains for Ukraine or even the end of the war.
Apart from a few villages gained, there hasn't been major gains.
Early days I guess, but it seems Russia has learned from its disastrous start to the compaign and is changing tactics against a weoponised USA/NATO country against it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But I don’t understand it? What could the people of Melitopol possibly have against Russia?
I have heard a lot about this spring/summer offensive being about huge gains for Ukraine or even the end of the war.
Early days I guess, but it seems Russia has learned from its disastrous start to the compaign and is changing tactics against a weoponised USA/NATO country against it.
Early days. Ukraine value their people. They are patient. We must be too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Who said anything about it being the end of the war? It appears that you've been listening to the wrong sources. It's unlikely the war will end anytime soon.

Early days I guess

Yes, it's very early days. I wouldn't expect any major gains soon either. Russia are well dug in, and Ukraine are going to spend a fair while trying to find weak spots. If they succeed in that task, that still doesn't mean there will be a major gain, but hopefully Russia will have to commit reserves to defend those weak spots. Meanwhile Ukraine will continue probing for other weak spots, and the hope is that there comes a point when Russia runs out of reserves and Ukraine can commit more forces and push through.

but it seems Russia has learned from its disastrous start to the compaign and is changing tactics against a weoponised USA/NATO country against it.

I think you mean a country using Nato weapons, rather than a USA/Nato country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here