Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Russia probing and testing for weakness again. If there is not a strong response, Poland is next.
I don't know whether it was deliberate or an accident (or even possibly a Ukrainian missile), but there is no way Poland will be next as long as we keep helping Ukraine defend themselves. Russia are losing this war, they've recently retreated from their 'forever part of Russia' annexed Kherson, so how exactly do you expect them to invade a NATO country?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't know whether it was deliberate or an accident (or even possibly a Ukrainian missile), but there is no way Poland will be next as long as we keep helping Ukraine defend themselves. Russia are losing this war, they've recently retreated from their 'forever part of Russia' annexed Kherson, so how exactly do you expect them to invade a NATO country?
Not convinced Russia could launch a war to take over Luxembourg right now TBH, they seem too busy running away from Ukrainians.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The US and Russia appear to have independently agreed that the missile which struck a Polish village on Tuesday, killing two people, was part of Ukraine’s air defences that had been attempting to fend off a Russian missile attack on Ukraine

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People talk about war in this thread like any war would be a traditional type boots on the ground war that we’ve seen in the past.

The next ‘world war’ will be a nuclear war, because a man like Putin (and his cronies) who support him in the Kremlin, would prefer to watch the world burn before admitting defeat, I don’t think Putin cares much about humanity.

I thought that withdrawal of Russia from some parts of Ukraine the other day was the most alarming thing to happen in the invasion so far, sets up aerial bombardment and allows a regroup of Russian troops.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What a horribly twisted leadership Russia has.

At the G20 summit, leaders confronted Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov, who was representing Putin. Straight afterwards, over 90 missiles hit Ukrainian cities. Two completely innocent Polish farmers are killed as a result.

Not a thought for the sanctity of human life. Such basic considerations don't even cross their minds. Here is Medvedev's statement on it:

'The incident with the Ukrainian-alleged 'missile strike' on a Polish farm proves just one thing: waging a hybrid war against Russia, the West moves closer to world war'.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
People talk about war in this thread like any war would be a traditional type boots on the ground war that we’ve seen in the past.

The next ‘world war’ will be a nuclear war, because a man like Putin (and his cronies) who support him in the Kremlin, would prefer to watch the world burn before admitting defeat, I don’t think Putin cares much about humanity.

I thought that withdrawal of Russia from some parts of Ukraine the other day was the most alarming thing to happen in the invasion so far, sets up aerial bombardment and allows a regroup of Russian troops.
I understand your point but it was an important piece of the necessary puzzle of Ukraine's retaking sufficient territory before possible negotiations (IMO). Yes, bombardment may increase, but it could have done at any point anyway. I think a lot more 'alarming' things will have to happen - hopefully defeat for the Wagner forces in the East, and possibly Ukraine pushing South to divide the Russian forces. Lots more shit to come sadly.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Behind a (worth it, imho) paywall:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...deplore-ageing-aluminium-can-combat-vehicles/

A small snippet - In October Russia were losing more than 40 armoured vehicles per day, roughly equivalent to a battalion’s worth of equipment.
Telegraph uses Javascript to put their paywall up. Behind the JS layer is the full html version of the article for search engines to crawl (because search engine crawlers don't like JS).

Did you know there are browser plugins for both Chrome and Firefox that allow you to easily turn JS on/off? (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Telegraph uses Javascript to put their paywall up. Behind the JS layer is the full html version of the article for search engines to crawl (because search engine crawlers don't like JS).

Did you know there are browser plugins for both Chrome and Firefox that allow you to easily turn JS on/off? (nudge nudge, wink wink)
Thanks.

We subscribe to the Telegraph, I don't mind that, it's a mine of information on my interests.

But in fairness to @Bozza, I now refrain from posting chunks of its copyright.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… The next ‘world war’ will be a nuclear war, because a man like Putin (and his cronies) who support him in the Kremlin, would prefer to watch the world burn before admitting defeat, I don’t think Putin cares much about humanity.

Me too … I‘ve honestly entertained the idea on several occasions since the Kremlin announced it was evacuating/relocating citizens and started withdrawing its forces from Kherson last month, that Putin was getting ready to deploy a tactical nuclear weapon in a scorched earth ‘fcuk you’.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is Lavrov the re-incarnation of Molotov?
I can very much see a situation where Putin "steps down", due to the disastrous prosecution of the war and Lavrov is given "temporary leadership", despite his proximity to it, and we just continue like that with Putin actually calling the shots and Lavrov attending the ceremonies.

To me this is much more likely than a bloody coup

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Me too … I‘ve honestly entertained the idea on several occasions since the Kremlin announced it was evacuating/relocating citizens and started withdrawing its forces from Kherson last month, that Putin was getting ready to deploy a tactical nuclear weapon in a scorched earth ‘fcuk you’.
Why would they nuke an area that they've just declared is part of Russia? If they're going to nuke somewhere, wouldn't they be more likely to nuke a city without Russians? And they've always been in a position to do that, so there's no more risk now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw an article about Putin stashing 12 billion in Africa guarded by the Wagner Group for his exit strategy. My first thought was " that'll be appropriated by the Wagner group as soon as he leaves Russia"

It could be bollocks but it is a risky strategy if not.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sergei Lavrov is a well oiled Putin puppet.

He could gets laughs on Live at the Apollo for some of the garbage that comes out of his mouth.
I'd love to read his autobiography, be could do two, one while working for Putin and another one once Putin has " gone ", which would be completely different obviously,from the first one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I saw an article about Putin stashing 12 billion in Africa guarded by the Wagner Group for his exit strategy. My first thought was " that'll be appropriated by the Wagner group as soon as he leaves Russia"

It could be bollocks but it is a risky strategy if not.
i assume any such rumours as bollocks, because Putin doesnt think he needs an exit strategy. if he thought like that, he'd have packed up and left office with uddles of assets some years ago.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can very much see a situation where Putin "steps down", due to the disastrous prosecution of the war and Lavrov is given "temporary leadership", despite his proximity to it, and we just continue like that with Putin actually calling the shots and Lavrov attending the ceremonies.

To me this is much more likely than a bloody coup
Russian leaders don't "step down". They hang on to the bitter end, and sometimes beyond.

Unless they are shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here