Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It could be entirely unrelated, but.....

'Damaged cable leaves Shetland cut off from mainland'

Note this as well.

'Repairs to another cable connecting Shetland and Faroe are ongoing after it was damaged last week.'

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Submarine cables regularly go faulty. They should be able to restore via Iceland or Faroes.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I didn't realise that. So perhaps it isn't the Russians on this occasion.
When I was (briefly) involved in that sort of thing, we had one go down into Alexandria. On that occasion it was stolen by some crooks who dived down and cut it. They didn't realise that there isn't any copper in them these days, only steel armour.
Didn't end well as the Egyptians take it quite seriously and opened fire on their boat. If only we were that tough on cable thieves...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't surprise me if the Russians are getting their people out of Kherson before blowing the dam and flooding the area
I read discussion of this somewhere and there was some suggestion that that could damage Russia economically/strategically.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wouldn't surprise me if the Russians are getting their people out of Kherson before blowing the dam and flooding the area
the Kakhovka reservoir also provides water for Crimea, Russians aren't going to stop that.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Putin's plan is too make the Ukrainian people suffer from a distance, leave them cold and hungry for the winter, delivering missiles from afar killing people indiscriminately , trying to break their willpower.
All the while regrouping, laying down the foundation for a renewed offensive in the spring, using propaganda.
He is far from finished, and it would not surprise me after a long cold hard winter if he has the upper hand.

One thing is for certain, the Ukrainian people will suffer further this winter and they need all the help we can give them in aid and weapons. Keep them in your mind and hearts folks.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So what are the 101st Airbourne doing on that particular part of the Ukraine border ?

That is the closest border point to the dam the Russians might blow up.

Airbourne assault ( at Ukraine's formal request ) to secure the dam before it can be blown ?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
So what are the 101st Airbourne doing on that particular part of the Ukraine border ?

That is the closest border point to the dam the Russians might blow up.

Airbourne assault ( at Ukraine's formal request ) to secure the dam before it can be blown ?

At the risk of sounding stupid, what does this mean?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
At the risk of sounding stupid, what does this mean?
The 101st Airbourne is an elite US airbourne assault force.

It is not a defensive force - it is a force designed to seize territory.

1 brigade is now stationed on the Ukraine-Romania border.

This is the closest NATO border point to (1) The dam that the Russians may blow flooding a part of South Ukraine, and (2) the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear plant.

Anyone's guess what it means though.

It may well be in response to credible intelligence of Russian intention to fire a tactical nuke, it may be to secure the dam or the power plant if they get the word to go.

It is a significant escalation.

It may just be to mess with Putin's mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here