Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Barak Ravid
(@BarakRavid)

BREAKING: Israeli Prime Minister Bennett travelled secretly to Moscow. Meeting Putin now

March 5, 2022

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Alexander Lukashenko needs a bullet in his head as if he was disposed of then Belarus would implode as he is a dictator and not a very popular one at that after rigging many elections and the people’s protests repressed, with many thousands even still to this day under arrest.

I firmly believe that Putin wouldn’t be able to control both conflicts and would lead to a rapid de-escalation of hostilities in Ukraine. But he is very careful as he knows he isn’t popular and his secret service is regularly monitored by other secret service branches, and in turn, they are monitored by other groups all reporting back to him.

He never likes to be photographed from the back because of his bald patch and maybe that could become a target for some brave soul with their bullet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Alexander Lukashenko needs a bullet in his head as if he was disposed of then Belarus would implode as he is a dictator and not a very popular one at that after rigging many elections and the people’s protests repressed, with many thousands even still to this day under arrest.

I firmly believe that Putin wouldn’t be able to control both conflicts and would lead to a rapid de-escalation of hostilities in Ukraine. But he is very careful as he knows he isn’t popular and his secret service is regularly monitored by other secret service branches, and in turn, they are monitored by other groups all reporting back to him.

He never likes to be photographed from the back because of his bald patch and maybe that could become a target for some brave soul with their bullet.
If the Belarus troops invade Ukraine at the behest of Putin it would be a bad move. There might well be a popular uprising in Belarus while they were gone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
agree "entrepeneurs" isnt quite right either. opportunists is probably the best term. the west have cultivated an impression that a group of people stole business from the state, we hear the "kleptocracy", when really most were in the right place, or moved themself to be, to catch the ball.

That's my interpretation. The British oligarchs could be seen more as Hedge Funds etc who muscled in on newly privatised industries.

I have no problem with the media presenting Putin as 'bad'. He's authorised the deadly invasion of a sovereign nation that offered no threat. But the anglo-centric lack of questioning over some of the sanctions disturbs me. These Russians were barely questioned from within ruling government until now, and a source of funding. Suddenly they are enemies of the state. Well, some of them. You have to be careful here... Just look in your diary to see who that game of tennis was against.

As regards my annoyance with media coverage, I just give folks Ross Adkins ongoing commentary. As regards incidents, has the rocket attack on the nuclear facility, first reported by the BBC as having hit an inactive reactor and then changed to an out building actually been proved to be a rocket attack or a battle between the two forces ?

Finally, I wholeheartedly disagree with the decision by the EU to stop Russia Today broadcasting. I know it's full of propaganda and totally unreliable, but it is not for the government to tell me who my news source is. It's not something I would watch, but the decision sure made me uncomfortable. It's a censorship curb on freedom.

Al Jazeera has been a good watch, and thankfully wouldn't be banned. Although I think the Americans have issues with it, even though a lot of Western reporters work for them. The BBC are telling folk how to get round the Russian block. Maybe tell them how to get round the RT block ? That's impartiality.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
There are reports coming in that a psychiatric hospital in a town 60km (37 miles) north-west of Kyiv has been captured by Russian forces, trapping some 670 patients inside.

Ukrainian news platform Hromadske says Kyiv's regional governor confirmed the hospital in Borodyanka had been captured.

"Today we do not understand how to evacuate these people, how to help them," Oleksiy Kuleba said.

"They are running out of water and medicines.

"These are people with certain special needs, they need constant help... many of them have been bedridden for years."

He added that there was a chance the building could be mined, according to Hromadske.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am British and have lived in Poland for 21 years and at the moment I write this, I am at the Dorohusk Mitnitsa border crossing after taking down a tonne of supplies and this is my third trip this week.

Now I am in the process of picking up 25 Ukrainians for the trip back to Warsaw and it is a desperate situation with many children and wives devastated at leaving their husbands, which to me is a pointless regulation by the Ukrainian government as they are only accepting people to fight if they have previous weapons training, leaving 500,000 Ukrainian women in Poland to somehow find a job and feed themselves and their children.

Yes, there will be support from the EU and Poland, but it was a desperate decision by the Ukrainian government which wasn’t really thought through all that well as it is only going to cause further problems and suffering in the future with the husbands cut off from their families.

Rant over, I am tired I guess, but seeing all these displaced people is heartbreaking, especially the children.

This is true of the front line forces, inexperienced others can join civil defence groups within towns and cities, also work is required in manufacturing, farming and transport.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
This is true of the front line forces, inexperienced others can join civil defence groups within towns and cities, also work is required in manufacturing, farming and transport.

No, they are just turning them away and telling them to go home and they cannot even give blood as my friend Elon who is there tried to join and they said no, and then tried to give blood and all the reserves are full. There is very little movement in the country and even the border crossing are getting less and less now and I have been seeing it all week as people are just unable to travel safely. As for manufacturing and farming, that has all stopped.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's my interpretation. The British oligarchs could be seen more as Hedge Funds etc who muscled in on newly privatised industries.

I have no problem with the media presenting Putin as 'bad'. He's authorised the deadly invasion of a sovereign nation that offered no threat. But the anglo-centric lack of questioning over some of the sanctions disturbs me. These Russians were barely questioned from within ruling government until now, and a source of funding. Suddenly they are enemies of the state. Well, some of them. You have to be careful here... Just look in your diary to see who that game of tennis was against.

As regards my annoyance with media coverage, I just give folks Ross Adkins ongoing commentary. As regards incidents, has the rocket attack on the nuclear facility, first reported by the BBC as having hit an inactive reactor and then changed to an out building actually been proved to be a rocket attack or a battle between the two forces ?

Finally, I wholeheartedly disagree with the decision by the EU to stop Russia Today broadcasting. I know it's full of propaganda and totally unreliable, but it is not for the government to tell me who my news source is. It's not something I would watch, but the decision sure made me uncomfortable. It's a censorship curb on freedom.

Al Jazeera has been a good watch, and thankfully wouldn't be banned. Although I think the Americans have issues with it, even though a lot of Western reporters work for them. the BBC are telling folk how to get round the Russian block. Maybe tell them how to get round the RT block ? That's impartiality.

Unfortunately too many people have an inability to discriminate between obvious lies, likely bollocks, possible bollocks and facts, for that reason RT off air is a good thing for me. It used to be said that the first casualty of war is the truth, but bullshit is constant these days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
US government has advised any US citizens in Russia to " leave immediately " and has said they may find themselves subject to " Harrasment ".....so, its straight back to the old traditional Soviet playbook, find " irregularities " with visas or papers, plant some drugs or kompromat and try and get some hostages. It's like we never left the 70's

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
US government has advised any US citizens in Russia to " leave immediately " and has said they may find themselves subject to " Harrasment ".....so, its straight back to the old traditional Soviet playbook, find " irregularities " with visas or papers, plant some drugs or kompromat and try and get some hostages. It's like we never left the 70's
It's already started

Brittney Griner, one of America’s most decorated women’s basketball players, has reportedly been detained by Russian Federal Customs Service authorities after the discovery of vape cartridges that contained hashish oil in her luggage at an airport near Moscow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yeah, the reporting on the nuclear plant has been interesting insight to our own media. they wet the bed and ramped the fear and risks, when the footage and pictures look like some tracer fire and flares. did a flare cause a fire? also surprising its overrun, easily defended with single approach road to the nearby town, which the locals had barricaded.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
By ignoring the ceasefire, IMO Putin is goading NATO to get involved. It confirms to me He is seeking WW3.

I don’t know what it is, perhaps he’s terminally ill and wants to burn the world with him but he is after total war.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
By ignoring the ceasefire, IMO Putin is goading NATO to get involved. It confirms to me He is seeking WW3.

I don’t know what it is, perhaps he’s terminally ill and wants to burn the world with him but he is after total war.

If, for whatever reason, you need to have a war it's much easier to have one against people that don't speak your language and who have made threatening comments and gestures.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
1999 pre chechnya (False Flag) apartment bombing in Russia by FSB, has just happened again. The SBU of Ukraine said it would, It classic FSB flase flag and now just over border in Russia, apartments blown up/shelled and already being blamed on Ukraine in Russian media

Putin now looking for justification for full war and all the images of destroyed buildings.

[tweet]1500179361680576512[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am British and have lived in Poland for 21 years and at the moment I write this, I am at the Dorohusk Mitnitsa border crossing after taking down a tonne of supplies and this is my third trip this week.

Now I am in the process of picking up 25 Ukrainians for the trip back to Warsaw and it is a desperate situation with many children and wives devastated at leaving their husbands, which to me is a pointless regulation by the Ukrainian government as they are only accepting people to fight if they have previous weapons training, leaving 500,000 Ukrainian women in Poland to somehow find a job and feed themselves and their children.

Yes, there will be support from the EU and Poland, but it was a desperate decision by the Ukrainian government which wasn’t really thought through all that well as it is only going to cause further problems and suffering in the future with the husbands cut off from their families.

Rant over, I am tired I guess, but seeing all these displaced people is heartbreaking, especially the children.
It's a very old - and essentially honourable - tradition. It's called 'Women and children first' - although I'm a little surprised to find it still being exercised in these anti-traditional times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here