Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1498403042303086605[/tweet]

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes. Trouble is it's like a festering sore - you can't help poking it from time to time. If only it could be confined to the bear pit like the ... err.... B thread, but unfortunately this issue is all too much very, very alive and real in the present. Maybe one day we can lesve it to those who just want to continue arguing about it, but sadly that won't happen for a while, I'm afraid. Dark days ahead

do you mean,........ you?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Canada will become the first country in the G7 to ban all imports of crude oil from Russia.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement on Monday.

He said the industry "has benefited President Putin and his oligarchs greatly".

In addition to the import ban, Trudeau also announced the supply of anti-tank weapons and ammunition to Ukrainian fighters.

Canada imports about $550m (£370m) of crude oil a year from Russia, according to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bbc reporting 17 miles of Russian armour is on the way to Kiev

I remember what happened to the long Iraqi army convoy escaping out of Kuwait all those years ago, essentially a bunch of looters with their military vehicles full of booty. Most ended up in hell as yank jets vaporised them.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if a bunch of Ukrainian drones did the same to this particular convoy.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ukraine’s president is temporarily lifting the requirement for entry visas for any foreigner willing to join Ukraine’s International Defense Legion and fight on Ukraine’s side against invading Russian troops, the AP reports.

Volorymyr Zelenskyy’s decree takes effect Tuesday and will remain in effect as long as martial law is in place.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Worrying debate on Newsnight just now. Basically saying If Russia brings heavy armour and starts smashing up civilian areas in Cities live on television, there maybe pressure on NATO to introduce a no fly zone, or even attack Russian forces.

Everybody knows what that could mean:nono::nono:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Right now in my wifes city Mariupol, theyre firing on civilian areas with missiles from aircraft. all power gone, multiple deaths being reported.

This is the last moments of a precious young 6 year old girl who went to the supermaket with her parents and was hit by an illegal cluster bomb. If youre squeemish its not nice, a parent harrowing, but people need to see what is happening. This is just one city its happening everywhere. Its genocide

[tweet]1498324943464980480[/tweet]

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/gallery/ukraine-girl-killed/index.html

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Right now in my wifes city Mariupol, theyre firing on civilian areas with missiles from aircraft. all power gone, multiple deaths being reported.

This is the last moments of a precious young 6 year old girl who went to the supermaket with her parents and was hit by an illegal cluster bomb. If youre squeemish its not nice, a parent harrowing, but people need to see what is happening. This is just one city its happening everywhere. Its genocide

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/gallery/ukraine-girl-killed/index.html

I feel sick. All of this is so wrong 😢

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the anti-foreigner angle is simply wrong. The average racist wouldn't bat an eyelid at Ukrainian refugees being allowed in.

Preeti is a wrong'un and has either misjudged the mood of the nation or just doesn't care. No way is this going to be popular with Conservative voters whether or not you think the anti-foreigner tag is true! (I don't, but that's a different argument)

She'll get to the right decision in the end once enough pressure is applied.

TBH, in this instance it's probably a case of Preeti misjudgng the mood of NSC!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

My daughter will be 6 in July. I thought twice about watching that but did it anyway. I already regret that decision.

As important as it is to see the atrocities that are taking place, if you’re a parent of a young child and are thinking about whether to watch that or not, I would personally say ‘don’t’. Absolutely horrific, and so incredibly sad.

Edit: poor little girl is on the front page of tomorrow’s Times.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Careful! Guiness Boy will be along in a minute to mock your mathematical calculations! :wink:

Screenshot_20220228-231741.png

Don't mock me, mock Google. Plus I'm shit at maths.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1498360815245615104[/tweet]

Youll be shocked with this, but not surprised.

Putin today offered families of fallen a payment.

Now ukraine defence minister was just on TV and they are offering every civil volunteer who picks up a gun 30k Hyrivna a month (£750) which is about 3x average salary, all millitary fighting and experienced 100k UAH or 2200£ which is huge money and he said because our nation values you so much.

For those who fall family's will receive 5m UAH or about £12k. Big money

By contrast Putins earlier offer to families of fallen $50

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here